Few questions about going to Ensenada

T B.
on 4/16/07 2:37 am - Chicago, IL
My surgery date is getting closer (5/08), and I am starting to get ready. I had a few questions, if you guys don't mind: 1. What kind of aftercare did you receive while staying in the apartment? ie, did a nurse/Dr.Aguirre come by and how often? And what exactly does the aftercare entail? 2. After returning to the US, is there a need to go to your PCP, if there are no complications that is? 3. How long did you stay there? How many days in hospital and apartment? 4. Is there anything you wish you'd have known before going to Ensenada? That's it for now, hehe. I hope you all are doing great! P.S. Does anyone have any pictures from their stay in Ensenada? I would love to see them if you do.
Eggface
on 4/16/07 7:47 am - Sunny Southern, CA
Hi Tijana, Congrats! Dr. A is the best you will be in GREAT hands. Here are my answers to your Q's... 1. I paid extra (approx. $40 a day) for a private nurse (I had Alejandra who was AWESOME) to visit for 4 days who checked my vitals, helped me shower, cleaned and re-dressed my incision, emptied my g-tube bag contents. It was well worth the extra especially since I was down there alone. Someone came to visit everyday I was there. Dr.A, Rosella, Bambi. Someone else had surgery a few days before and was in the other apartment too. 2. You will have to get lab tests periodically to see if you are deficient in important nutrients. I had my pcp check me at 3 months and 6 months so far. I figured I'd go back at my 1 year anniversary. Other than that I never go to the Dr anymore... and this from someone who had an appointment with some Dr practically every week... I'm off all meds, BP is stellar, no more sleep apnea, no more acid reflux. 3. I stayed 9 days total... from June 19 to the 28th. (20-23 hospital, 23-28 apartment) 4. Nope, awesome experience before, during, and after. Check out my profile for more info. Hope this helps, ~Michelle
neisha =.
on 4/17/07 6:34 am - shawnee, OK
Hey Michelle, You were telling Tijana about paying an extra $40 a day for a private nurse. When did you receive information about this option? I haven't heard anything about this. Is there another site that I'm not familiar with that tells this kind of stuff? I will have my husband with me and he is a good nurse. Do you think a private nurse is still needed? When talking with Courtney, she talked about paying extra for the apartment. I thought that was included in the cost too. Am I just really mixed up? Your info is always so helpful! Neisha
Eggface
on 4/17/07 7:14 am - Sunny Southern, CA
You have three options when down in Ensenada: 1. Apartment with no nurse 2. Apartment with nursing service (1 daily visit for 3 days... you can add more) 3. Hotel with no nursing The apartment is approx $800 (as of June 2006) and the nursing care is about $40 a day extra. The hotel for the whole time works out slightly cheaper if I remember correctly. Housing & the Private Nurse is separate from Dr A's & the Hospital Fee. The only other fee is Dr. A's driver Bambi who will pick you up at the San Diego airport. I chose the apartment and nursing service because I went alone. If you can afford it (about $40 extra a day I believe) I think it's worth it... it was comforting to have someone check my vitals, bag output and clean & redress the incision everyday but if you have someone who can help that should be fine. The apartment is super comfortable, loved the internet access, safe, close to everything including Dr. A's office. Here's Dr. A's website if you haven't seen it http://www.derivaciongastrica.com/index.php He should send you a word document attachment with all the info and options. I will look to see if I still have mine and PM you it. Hope this helps, ~Michelle
bren202
on 4/19/07 2:53 am
Hi, I will be there at the end of May with my son for his surgery. The package price of 10,100. includes the 6 nights in the apartment. If you want the extra nursing care you can request it for the extra charge. If someone is going with you, I personally don't think you will need it. I went with my brother for his surgery almost 2 years ago and he did great. Dr. Aguirre is a wonderful doctor and the city is beautiful, clean and safe. Good Luck! bren
Just Me
on 6/25/07 5:31 pm - Happy Place, TN
Presuming you are referring to your surgery date at may 8 2007 Congratulations, I haven't seen your recent posts... how are you doing?
Most Active
Recent Topics
My journey
AbiM · 0 replies · 435 views
Mexico said NO
waarce · 0 replies · 628 views
Dr. Alvarez, Endobariatrics
msmith434343 · 0 replies · 1212 views
Surgery at Pompeii Surgical?
JCler97080 · 4 replies · 1840 views