I'm so confused

Tammy S.
on 3/13/07 7:13 am - MS
I'm going somewhere in Mexico for some type of surgery, but I'm so confused. When I started out I wanted Lap Rny, but so many of you guys are doing so well on Lap bands and seem so happy with them, I got to thinking welllll it is less expensive. But now I get the gastric sleeve thrown in there. How do you know which is best, and everyone seems so happy with there doctors. Which one do ya choose???? and how to choose..they are all qualified, and so nice... I started talking to one, then made the mistake of talking to two others just getting more information and learning as much as I could and I like them all. They all seem so nice and everyone wants to bend over backwards to help. I was thinking it would take me a long time to get the money together and I would have time to let it all soak in, but what ya know, My loan was approved.... (shocked the you know what out of me ) so now I'm at the point to make the decision and I just don't know what to do. I personally know 3 people that have had the RNY done.....2 said they wish they had never done it (both men starting at over 400 lbs ) and 1 woman my size and she said it was the best thing she has ever done. They all look great. They all feel great. Please let me know how you chose, who you chose and your reasoning behind it. I am not much of a sweet eater, but I love food....meat an potatoes, gravy and sweet (splenda) tea. That kind of stuff. I have learned you have aftercare with both so its either pills or fills.....????? LOL Thank you Tammy God bless us all!
Nancee
on 3/13/07 9:02 am
Sorry I can't help with your confusion. I have decided to go to Dr Joya in P.V. Mexico myself. I have to apply for financing and wanted to ask you some questions about who you went through to get financed. I would like to go as early as next month for RNY. I think it will be best for me because I am a sweet and carb addict. If you decide on Dr Joya, a great doctor plus perks of recooperating on the beach , let me know maybe we could schedule at the same time. Good luck with your search. Nan
(deactivated member)
on 3/18/07 1:46 pm
RNY on 08/16/05 with
Hi Tammy! Can't really tell you what to do, or what would be best for you. I'll just tell you where I went and what I did: I went to Puerto Vallarta and had lap RNY with Dr. Joya. Best thing I ever did for myself! I had my surgery Aug. 16, 2005 and lost 100 pounds (my goal) in 11 months. Dr. Joya and his staff are the best! (my opinion LOL). They are so sweet and kind. The hotel Krystal is very nice too. I guess my biggest reason for getting the RNY and not the lapband was that I wanted something permanent. Also, I don't do needles, so I didn't want someone putting a needle in my belly looking for that port for fills/unfills. No thanks. I feel that like anything else manmade, the plastic lap band will eventually have to be replaced. I don't know if that's true or not, but I didn't want to take any chances. I really don't know much about the gastric sleeve. Sorry--no help there. Best wishes, Kina
LinZhi's Mum
on 3/19/07 2:35 am - Wadsworth, OH
RNY on 11/30/05 with
Congratulations Tammy! The major pointer I can give on Lapband....is find your aftercare FIRST....before you go to Mexico and have it done. Have a plan made for fills and after care. If you can fly back and forth to Mexico....good! but if not.....find your aftercare first. I had the band, before I had the RNY. My aftercare was well planned out, but fell thru somewhat. Of course now, there are many other oppurtunies there, like fillcentersusa Research, Research Reasearch. I can attest that the lap band is NOT for sweet eaters. Junk food and sweet stuff can slide right on down.... Both LB and RNY are excellent tools, they are a personal choice. But being forced to go out of country, makes some of our usa doctors not want to treat us. Goodluck!
(deactivated member)
on 3/20/07 2:53 am - Chicago, IL
Hi Tammy Congrats on your decision!! I had VSG with Dr.Mikler, he also performs Gastric Bypass, if you already have the loan approved you should talk to him, he offers an all inclusive package and can advice with the best choice for you His website is www.byebyeobesity.com Good Luck!!!
AnnieZ
on 3/28/07 2:09 pm
VSG on 06/06/07 with
Tammy, A previous poster hit it on the head when she said to get your aftercare lined up BEFORE surgery. I thought I had that base covered to find out the MD that was to follow me had sold his clinic. The new corporation that bought his clinic no longer allowed him to fill patients having had surgery in Mexico. This is frustrating. No matter how competent the surgeon, the aftercare is what gives the results. I cannot find a doctor to follow me within a 3-4 hour drive of my home. The fills are not a one time thing - there are fills and sometimes unfills. Fills that are too aggressive can cause erosion into the stomach - pretty serious stuff. I think I saw the band as the least invasive and opted for it before really having my aftercare COMPLETELY nailed down. (As a side note - My surgeon was Dr. Ortiz and was exceptional as was the post-op care. It certainly isn't his fault I cannot find someone willing to follow me.) I now believe I will pay this surgery off and opt for a sleeve gastrectomy. I am in the process of researching my options. Dr. Alverez seems to come highly recommended. I am considering contacting his office sometime next year when I have saved enough to pay for the gastrectomy. Best Wishes! AnnieZ
Donna O.
on 3/28/07 11:47 pm - IN
During my resesarch I found the key difference is volume vs high calorie. If you are a volume eater the band is expected to do well for you. If you are a high calorie like sweets then the RNY is better, it helps kick the habit with the dumping. As far as doctors, It seems there are several very good ones. I am going to Monterrey for the band April 19. Good luck in your search
baytraci
on 3/30/07 4:18 am - Dundee, FL
One of the first things you are asked, once you are at Dr. Rumbauts office is ..... do you eat a lot? Or are you a carb/sugar eater? I was a carbaholic. Everything that went into my mouth had to be loaded with sugar. Ice Cream, cakes, pie, candy if it was loaded with sugar, I ate it. I also loved pasta, fried foods and all other high carb foods. So I knew, as well as Dr. Rumbauts staff, that RNY was what I needed. It totally depends on the person and what their choice of food is. Having the surgery was the best decision I have ever made. I decided in in January of 2006 that I wanted to do, I went to a meeting in Orlando Florida and after hearing all of the things you have to go through with insurance and everything, I talked it over with my husband and we decided on Mexico. It just wasn't worth the hassle of fighting with the insurance company knowing that I had nothing wrong with me other than being obese! I went down to Monterrey Mexico on April 28th and had surgery on March 1st and the rest is history. I am 1 year and 1 month out as of Sunday, down about 135 pounds and couldn't feel better. I just got back from my Gp's office about thirty minutes ago and they did my blood work to make sure I am getting enough vitamins and she told me I need to stop losing weight! That is a first in my life!! I am 5'8" and I am about 148 lbs. She told me I need to tone up! Like I don't know that???? She said this while she was pushing on my tummy. LOTS of skin there!! If there was one thing I would have done differently it would be that I would have excercised faithfully.... which I did not do. I have lost all of my muscle tone and cry when I look at myself in the mirror. My shoulders look like skeleton shoulders. As long as I have on clothes....I am very pleased. So please...everyone....be sure you excercise and lift weights. Now I have to rebuild the muscle and it is going to take a long time. I wish all of you the best!! Hugs, Traci Baylon
Most Active
Recent Topics
My journey
AbiM · 0 replies · 435 views
Mexico said NO
waarce · 0 replies · 628 views
Dr. Alvarez, Endobariatrics
msmith434343 · 0 replies · 1212 views
Surgery at Pompeii Surgical?
JCler97080 · 4 replies · 1840 views