Dr. Jaime Ricardo Ramos Kelly

amw4571
on 1/30/07 11:41 pm - Austin, TX
I just wanted to post my experience with a fantastic Mexico doctor (the best in my opinion). My experience was great. I was trying to decide between Dr. Rumbaut, Dr. Joya, and Dr. Kelly. My decision was ultimately made because of Shannon, his patient coordinator. She made me feel so at ease and comfortable with the decision. She is so responsive and it really helped to know that I could call her anytime to ask whatever I wanted. She was there with me every step of the way, literally. She is there with you in Mexico during your surgery. Dr. Kelly is wonderful. I met him the day before my surgery. They had me arrive in San Diego fairly early and I was in Dr. Kelly's office around noon the day before my surgery. They took some blood for lab work and had me pee in a cup. Then we went down to a cafe with Shannon to sign all the paperwork. Then I got to meet Dr. Kelly and Dr. AJ. They both spent about an hour or so answering all my questions and asking me background health information. I'm a pretty straightforward case in that I'm physically healthy other than being obese. Everyone was so kind and gentle. He listened to everything I had to say. After that, we went to the hosptial and got checked in. Dr. Kelly has his patients stay overnight the night before surgery so he can get started very early the next morning on surgery. They did a chest x-ray that day as well and then I was admitted to my room. I can't say enough how beautiful Hosptial Angeles was. The nursing staff was great, but they do not speak English well. That's where Shannon came in handy. Her Spanish is perfect. I spent the rest of that day relaxing and napping. We went out later for some supper. I was able to eat some soup. Dr. Kelly came in to check on me and ask if I had any more questions before the big event. I thought that was so nice. Then the cardiologist came in and did my EKG and went over all of my blood work. He spent about 30-45 minutes with me which was great. He was very knowledgable and very nice. The next morning they wheeled me down to the OR. Dr. Kelly was waiting for me there. He squeezed my arm a lot and showed me my band. Then the next thing I knew I was waking up in recovery. Dr. Kelly came to see me in recovery and gave me a hug. Everything went wonderfully. I rested most of that day and he even came in again that night to check on me at about 9:00. Shannon was always there too. If she was not in the hospital, she was not far away. I had a wonderful experience. I was fortunate to not have much pain and absolutely no nausea. I spent another night in the hospital and did great. They gave me plenty of pain medication and a little medication to help with sleep too. They also gave me anti-nausea meds even though I wasn't feeling nauseous. They don't want you to throw up. The next morning I went down for my barium swallow to make sure everything looked good. Then it was off to the hotel for a night. Just more relaxing and resting there. I walked the halls frequently and by the next morning I was ready to go home. Everything was so smooth. Dr. Kelly and the rest of his team was there to say goodbye. Since my surgery I've lost 12 pounds. My surgery was on 1/19 and I'm feeling so good about my decision. Amy
t.j.59
on 2/2/07 3:24 am - monroe, NC
Wow Amy, It sounds as if you had a great Dr. and hos. How much, if you don,t mind me asking, did your whole surgery package cost? Also whatdid it include? I will be having surgery in mexico also. I am a self pay, and I am looking for a great Dr. and great price. I have begun Paperwork with Dr. Aceves, Ihear he is great. Thanks, Tameria
amw4571
on 2/2/07 4:01 am - Austin, TX
My surgery package included all of the tests, labwork, hospital stay, surgery and medications. It was $7,580. They have a special rate with the hotel of $90 and you only have to stay there 1 night because they keep you in the hospital the night before and after the surgery. I paid for my own airfare to get there. They have another package that's $8500 whi*****ludes airfare and hotel, but I paid for those services on my own because it was cheaper in the long run. Best of luck with your decision! Amy 255/241/145
Kellye G.
on 2/24/07 9:43 am - Columbus, OH
Amy I'm so pleased to hear someone had a great experience with Dr. Kelly. I'm scheduled for a lap RNY at the end of March and I'm just counting down the days. I also think my decision was influenced by Shannon - she has been wonderful to talk with and always prompt at answering questions. Kellye
princessgiggles
on 8/9/07 9:45 am - Sharpsburg, GA
Hello Kellye, Iam considering Dr. Kelly also, how are you doing and did it go well? thanks for the update! Andrea
Kellye G.
on 8/10/07 2:35 am - Columbus, OH
Hi Andrea, I posted a reply yesterday but it didn't save so hopefully this one will make it through. I have nothing but positive things to say about my experience with Dr. Kelly, his staff, my surgery and even my stay in Mexico. Everything happened as I was told without any surprises. My care was exellent the entire time. There was a slight language barrier at the hospital with some of the nurses but it never affected the quality of care. And I did remember some of my old HS Spanish which did help @ times. It's been 17 weeks since I had my surgery and I've lost 94 pounds as of today. So I am THRILLED with the results. Now I did end up having a different type of WLS; Dr. Kelly & his surgical team thought I might do better having a VSG vs. the RNY. Frankly I didn't care which surgery was done as long as SOMETHING was done. I don't have any regrets at all -- best decision I have ever made and I'm oh so happy. Feel free to ask me any questions - I'll be more than happy to answer them. My best, Kellye
Most Active
Recent Topics
My journey
AbiM · 0 replies · 435 views
Mexico said NO
waarce · 0 replies · 628 views
Dr. Alvarez, Endobariatrics
msmith434343 · 0 replies · 1212 views
Surgery at Pompeii Surgical?
JCler97080 · 4 replies · 1841 views