Taxes and RNY surgery in Mexico

gabriela
on 1/24/07 2:06 am - MI
I had surgery last year and I paid 15,000 up front. I am going to do my taxes soon and I was wondering in any of you who have paid also got any kind of taxe benefits from having to pay for this surgery. What I asking is should I mention it to my tax preparer and take my reciepts or is this something that just doesnt mean anything when it comes to our taxes we file? Thanks I appriciate it to those *****ply. Gaby
GerrAnn
on 1/24/07 5:04 am - Lake Havasu City/Boise, Id, AZ
Hey Gaby I took my reciepts into my tax man. He looked at them and said it would be ok to take them off with my medical. Good Luck.. GerrAnn
ellen b
on 1/29/07 4:04 am - WI
I also took off plane tickets , bus tickets, motel rooms, etc. associated with my trip to Monterrey for lapband surgery in 2004. It helped that I had two surgeries that year. one insurance covered and of course the Monterrey Doctor that they didnt.
Blue_77
on 1/30/07 8:44 am
Sorry for the late post but YES take it to your tax preparer. You will have to itemize your taxes, as long as the out of pocket cost is more than 7.5% of your income it will be a deduction (if you made $100,000 it would be anything over $7,500). Make sure to include all traveling expenses, such as to and from your doctors appointments, testing or anything else that you had to do (I think it's 18 cents/mile last year) Hotel costs can be included for you and anyone who traveled with you for support (up to $50/night) I don't believe meals are included in this. I normally do my own taxes so I looked into all of this prior to surgery. Met with a tax guy today just to confirm. Hope this helps, and enjoy your deductions...a new wardrobe maybe!!!
Most Active
Recent Topics
My journey
AbiM · 0 replies · 435 views
Mexico said NO
waarce · 0 replies · 628 views
Dr. Alvarez, Endobariatrics
msmith434343 · 0 replies · 1212 views
Surgery at Pompeii Surgical?
JCler97080 · 4 replies · 1841 views