trying to lose weight

kawake
on 12/5/06 1:17 pm - Sand Springs, OK
I have been battling with my insurance company for about 2 1/2 years for any type of weight loss surgery. I keep getting the reply the it is not a covered expense no matter if it is medically necssary. I am at my wits ends!! I am overweight by approximately 170 lbs and have tried every weight loss plan including doctor prescribed and have not lost any amount of weight. I am researching getting surgery in Mexico. Any suggestions on who to use and about costs, financing, or if you have to have the money up front? Thanks.
azbigmamma
on 12/6/06 1:09 pm - mesa, AZ
RNY on 07/26/06 with
Hi Kathy, I went to Dr. Joya and had the RNY on July 26, 2006 and have lost 90lbs already. He is down in Puerta Vallarta Mexico. He is an awesome dr. his package is all inclusive. His website is drjoya.com. If you want more info please e-mail me at [email protected]. good luck to you in your journey. Tanya
lakeluvr530
on 12/26/06 1:46 pm
Hi I am checking into the Mexico surgery centers. If you don't mind my asking...what was your total cost? If I do this I am getting the Rny and not lapband. Not to get into my life story or anything but I am just on the line of qualifying for insurance and they are not wanting to pay. I am checking out the Mexico possibility incase I need something to fall back on. The all inclusive thing sounds great I dont want any surprise costs. Thanks for any info you can provide. Tammy
yamen
on 12/26/06 2:35 pm - Richmond, TX
Dr Jose Rodriquez also does the RNY and it is 11,000 but have you considered the VSG. I am a RN and this is the procedure I would have if I had to chose between the RNY. Look it up it may be better for you. Good luck in your search. Yamen
yamen
on 12/26/06 11:21 am - Richmond, TX
Hello, I just had the gastric band by Dr. Jose Rodriquez in Acuna Mexico. It cost 7,000 and it was a nice experience that I would do again. I weigh 300 pounds and I also was at my wit ends on what to do. yamen
lakeluvr530
on 12/28/06 8:14 am
Wow thats a good price. Did that include airfare etc???? I want to do this so bad. I am sick of the insurance companies making you jump through hoops. I will get the RNY cause I eat like a lumber jack ! RNY makes you control your eating. Not real sure about that sleeve thing........
yamen
on 12/28/06 1:48 pm - Richmond, TX
Well the RNY does not really control your eating. You can strech the pouch out. You alos can develope dumping syndrome. The VSG removes about 1/3 of you stomache whereas the RNY reroutes your stomache. To be frank nomatter what WLS you have you can eat around them. You still have to make a conscious decision to change your eating patterns. Yamen
Sun Smith
on 1/1/07 4:09 am - Seattle, WA
I had my RNY by Dr. Rumbaut of Monterrey Mexico. He did an excellent job and I am thrilled with the surgery and the outcome. To learn more about the surgeries and the costs I suggest reading the profiles of the people that post on this board. They will tell you more than you can learn in any other way. I started by weighing 320 pounds, now weigh 186 and maintaining. If I exercised or ate less, I'd weigh less. Each surgery has positives and negatives. If eating too much is your only food "sin", then a gastric band is also helpful. Me, I eat both too much and too many sweets. The dumping (for me, sweats and nausea) helps remind me to eat less sweets, sugar and fats. Therefore I chose the "gold standard" of RNY. It is a personal decision for each of us. Best wishes in your weight loss future. -Pam
lmsmith
on 1/1/07 7:30 am - Burnaby, Canada
I also had my surgery done by Dr Joya. It was the best 12500.00 that I have ever spent on myself. I went down to PV weighing 274lbs and now exactly 1 year later weigh 131lbs and am extremely healthy. All of my co-morbidities (not that they were really severe) are gone. My GP who was against it, is totally amazed at my success and health. Dr Joya's price includes airfare, hotel and the surgery cost. Leanne LAP RNY - Dec 16/05 274/131/147?? Dr Joya - PV Mexico
Most Active
Recent Topics
My journey
AbiM · 0 replies · 435 views
Mexico said NO
waarce · 0 replies · 628 views
Dr. Alvarez, Endobariatrics
msmith434343 · 0 replies · 1212 views
Surgery at Pompeii Surgical?
JCler97080 · 4 replies · 1840 views