Getting your lap band filled

mikkozoe
on 10/9/06 8:30 am - Conyers, GA
Ok is this normal ...You go to mexico and get the band put on and then in a few months or 6 or when ever your weight loss evens out you go back and get your band filled ? So meaning they do not fill it right away? This is something new i just discovered and wanted to make sure everyone else had the same thing. Aslo when you got your fills did you go back to Mexico or did you get it done in the states ? Thanks for all your help on here ...... Laura
Kelli ~.
on 10/9/06 8:49 am - Atwater, CA
Hi Laura, I have Dr. Aceves as my doctor and when I had the band placed, there was no fill put in it but I had lost quite a bit of weight. I did have a fill in April 4cc's and then again this weekend 1.8cc's; so 5.8cc's total in a VG band. I went back both times because I didn't want someone else doing the fill and I loved going back each time to visit because it was like Homecoming! Good Luck! Kelli P/S I've lost 7lbs this weekend...crazy! 370lbs starting/217lbs now/140 target weight
Rita W.
on 10/10/06 1:27 pm - Billings, MT
My surgeon does not fill the band at first because there is swelling and irritation of the stomach, so leaves it unfilled. I had my first fill at four months post op--had lost 40 pounds by then, but was feeling hunger and was able to eat more than a cup at each meal. So, although I was still losing at the rate of 2-3# per week I went for a fill. I got my second fill at 8 months post op--same situation as before, still losing, but beginning to feel hunger and able to eat too much. I returned to my surgeon in Mexico for my first fill, but had the second done locally. My first fill was .9 cc and the second was .5 cc. I'll probably need another fill in a couple months (I'm 10 months post op) as my weight loss has slowed and I'm able to eat too much again. I've lost 102# since surgery. According to the height/weight charts I need to lose another 50#, but I'll be happy with another 30#.
Cassandra W.
on 10/12/06 5:53 pm - West, TX
I can only speak in generalities so: most people get their first fill at 6 weeks post op and continue to get fills about every 6 weeks until the proper restriction level is reached. Usually 3 -5 fills I don't really know about the band on bypass if the restriction works the same There are doctors in the states who will do fills for those of us banded in Mexico but I choose to go back and let Dr. De la Garza do it because he is excellent at it. He uses fluoroscope and has you drink barium so that he can tell exactly how much is needed. These are a couple of Doctors in Georgia who will do fills for folks banded in Mexico. i don't know prices or any details but you might call before your surgery date. Dr. Rick Finley Atlanta 404 688-1934 Dr. Barry McKernan Woodstock, GA 770-924-8808 Below is a Fill Center USA that may be near you. McGregor Clinic Darlene Zebley Status: Accepting Appointments 2509 S. Main St. Business Hours: Call for Appointment Moultrie, GA 31768 Contact provider and schedule first consult Appointment Contact Name: Receptionist. Phone: 866-345-5872 Fax: 229-985-1134 Email: [email protected]
Most Active
Recent Topics
My journey
AbiM · 0 replies · 435 views
Mexico said NO
waarce · 0 replies · 628 views
Dr. Alvarez, Endobariatrics
msmith434343 · 0 replies · 1212 views
Surgery at Pompeii Surgical?
JCler97080 · 4 replies · 1840 views