liquid diet

Olusha
on 10/6/06 3:41 am - WA
Ok, my surgery is on the 18th, so I just started my liquid diet. Oh my God. I am DYING over here. Can anyone share with me how they got through this stage? My stomach keeps growling and cramping and even drinking broth or water only helps for 5 mins. at a time. I am having surgery with Dr. Joya, so I emailed Gerald and asked him if I could at least eat vegetables and he just shot back with "dr. prefers you are on the liquid diet." Well, I know what he prefers, that's why I'm doing it. What I was asking is what to do if I can't handle it! My mom had open RNY in Jan. and she only had to go on a fat free diet. Help please!
lmsmith
on 10/6/06 6:18 am - Burnaby, Canada
It will get better!!! It took me a couple of days for my body to adjust. I also had horrible headaches from giving up the pepsi!!!
bridgetok
on 10/6/06 5:28 pm - Sanford, NC
Think liquids. Soup, even chunky steak soup can be blended. We invested in a hand blender (boat motor) and it worked wonderfully! What about yoguert, sugar free pudding and jello? Yummy protein shakes (like carnation high protein) and ensure. I even blended a can of chicken and some mayo! If you can get full, be happy! Soon, you will be able to tolerate (post-op) soft solids and it will be wonderful. And remember, it's all worth it in the end, maybe even 100 times! Bridget
Olusha
on 10/6/06 7:59 pm - WA
Well, he has me on a pre-op clear liquid diet...three protein shakes per day (or I can have a yogurt instead) and the only other thing he's wanting me to drink/eat is clear liquids. Beef and chicken broth, sugar free jello, apple and grape juice, nonfat milk, and cranberry juice. So no soup or pudding....the other stuff just doesn't satisfy me for more than 5 mins. I broke down and ate a pickle today. I think I'm gonna eat some vegetables, I can't imagine how those could hurt me. I know the point is to shrink my liver and decrease the abdominal fat...veggies shouldn't hinder that process much. I hate to act like I know better or something, but I don't think I can make it the whole two weeks with NO food.
bridgetok
on 10/8/06 4:41 am - Sanford, NC
Clear liquids seems a little extreme to me. But I used a different surgeon and you should always follow your surgeon's advice. That said, if you are going to 'cheat' I would reccomend that you cheat with full liquids rather than solids. Blended soups, etc. I wouldn't suggest cheating with veggtables or pickles. This is for your best interest and safety during surgery. They aren't doing this to you to tourture you or anything! Good luck Bridget
L.K.S.
on 10/8/06 1:12 pm - Katy, TX
Hi there... I think most all of us understand what you're going through. Yes, it is difficult but honestly if you can stick to the liquid diet exactly as asked you will be amazed that in a day or two the worst will be over. Not that it's easy, it's just that the first day or two is where you HAVE to make yourself follow the diet. One of my favorite things to do was to make Lipton Chicken and Noodle soup... BUT drain the noodles and throw them away! lol It really does taste so much better then just regular chicken broth. Sugar Free popsicles (sp?) were a life saver! If you can wrap your mind around the whole picture... THis is the beginning of a whole new you.. Besides this diet not only prepares you for pre op but for post op too. Your recovery will be much easier if you can just concentrate on getting better and not having food withdrawl on top of it. I was sooo proud of myself when the day came to meet Dr. Rumbaut face to face and know that I did my part so that he could do his and get me back to my family as safely as possble. I agree with the other feedback that eating solid foods is to big of a risk. Your health is to important to risk eating anything solid. Hang in there... You can do this! Good luck! Leisa
hootiebelle
on 10/8/06 2:03 pm - las vegas, NV
Lap Band on 06/12/06 with
I had surgery with Dr.Joya also and it was anything thru a straw not just clear liquids
Olusha
on 10/8/06 2:24 pm - WA
Well, I'm just gonna email Gerald on Monday and tell him what I'm doing. If they're not ok with it, I guess I'll have to cancel my surgery and schedule with someone else who isn't so extreme. Thanks everyone for your responses. I'm glad you all were capable of doing it.
lmsmith
on 10/9/06 8:00 am - Burnaby, Canada
The liquid diet is to benefit YOU! If you don't shrink your liver you will have to have your surgery open, have a big huge scar and pay an extra 1000.00. If you don't want to follow the Dr's orders, don't bother, it's you you will be hurting. Sorry to sound so blunt, but if you can't even follow a two week pre-surgery diet, how will you manage the first 6 weeks after surgery when you are on liquids and pureed food? Not well, i'd imagine. It is hard, no one can say it isn't. But it is worth it in the end. Stay strong and follow the diet. Your surgery is in 9 days. Leanne LAP RNY - Dec 16/05 Dr Joya 274/136/145
Olusha
on 10/9/06 8:50 am - WA
Wow, so everyone is basically saying that it's as hard to do the liquid and/or pureed diet AFTER surgery as it is before? I can't imagine that it's even anywhere near as hard when my stomach is the size of my THUMB. My mom didn't seem to have any problem afterward, she had a problem eating ENOUGH...she certainly wasn't hungry after surgery like I am right now. I thought that was the point of the surgery. And really, everyone thinks that me eating some veggies will cause my liver not to shrink? I can understand the "do what your doctor tells you" mentality, but common sense is telling me that eating some cauliflower once a day isn't going to cause it to require an open surgery. It's fine, I'm doing the best I can. I haven't eaten anything solid today, but I'm not gonna kill myself if I eat some mushrooms tonight.
Most Active
Recent Topics
My journey
AbiM · 0 replies · 435 views
Mexico said NO
waarce · 0 replies · 628 views
Dr. Alvarez, Endobariatrics
msmith434343 · 0 replies · 1212 views
Surgery at Pompeii Surgical?
JCler97080 · 4 replies · 1840 views