lap band vs rny

jackye
on 9/10/06 10:46 pm - WISE, VA
i am so confused. i am scheduled for lap band surgery on 11-7-06 and i really like the idea of less invasive , removable, etc.. but worried about follow up care. also i have noticed that patients of rny have lost much more weight. any thoughts on this? also wondering about maintaining weight loss , i don't know but from what i have read rny loses a lot in first year and then it kind of stops where as lap band is slower. i know it all depends on how you use the tool you have but i don't want to make a mistake and have the wrong one and regret it{ self pay} bmi 38.5 thanks jackye
BeeHappe
on 9/11/06 12:27 pm - Hinton, IA
RNY on 08/09/05 with
Hi Jackye: I know how you feel. I have my surgery in August of 05. I started at 275 and am currently at 175. I had to write out the pros and cons of both surgeries and see which one fit me the best. This is all up to you. Have you done the research on both? The main reason I had the RNY was because I felt this: rearrange what I have in me, just don't put something in me that is not mine. I don't know, It was just that I had a problem with the port thing under my skin. People said they could feel it. Well that didn't fly with me. But I know people who have had the Banding and are doing great. Yes, they lose the weight slower and seem to need more self control, but we all will lose at our own pace and we all still need self control. I hope you do your research well and write out the pros and cons of both and see which one will get you where you want to be the best way for you!!! Good luck on your decision and I will keep you in my thoughts!!! Jen 275/175/150 someday
Sun Smith
on 9/15/06 8:52 am - Seattle, WA
Jen gives good advice. Writing out pros and cons of both. I believe our eating habits also contribute to what choice we make. I ate lots of carbs and sugars, in addition to volume eating. Therefore the low tolerance some folks get for carbs and sugars as a result of their RNY surgery fit me better. That, and the 130+ pounds I wanted to lose. -Pam
Natural
on 9/20/06 5:01 am - MD
Hi Jackye, I had the band back in May of 2005 and I have had nothing but success with my band. Yes, both WLS are about changes and making the right choices. For me, RnY wasn't an option because of some of the long term affects so when the opportunity presented itself, I jumped on the band wagon. Also, I self paid and had my surgery in Mexico. I do agree with the other ladies, do the research and weigh the pros and cons of both surgeries. Yes, most bandesters do lose slower and you do have to do your part to make the band work. This was my reason for chosing the band, I was willing to make the sacrafices necessary to say I played a major part in my weight lost. Don't get me wrong, it's been a love/hate relationship throughout the process but I wouldn't change what I did. I have surpassed my goal and have gone from a size 22W to a regular size 12. I love the way I feel and look, it's been slow but well worth every effort I but into it. I can say, if you work your band it will work for you. SW=283 GW=180 CW=174 (surpassed goal) 5'11 & loving it!!
jackye
on 9/20/06 7:07 am - WISE, VA
thanks for replying i have decided to go with the band.
Most Active
Recent Topics
My journey
AbiM · 0 replies · 433 views
Mexico said NO
waarce · 0 replies · 628 views
Dr. Alvarez, Endobariatrics
msmith434343 · 0 replies · 1212 views
Surgery at Pompeii Surgical?
JCler97080 · 4 replies · 1838 views