Dr. A Question

stephaniekleinn
on 8/23/06 8:00 am
Hi all, I have another question about Dr. A. Has anyone stayed the full time and had all their tubes and staples removed in Mexico. Thats what my PCP would prefer I do...she'd rather me not travel with staples and tubes. I was wonder exactly how many days I would need to be in Mexico. Also, I wanted to know are their specific days that Dr. A does surgery...we were thinking of flying in on Saturday and having surgery on Sunday but didn't know if he worked on the weekend. Any help would be appreciated!
Eggface
on 8/23/06 11:03 am - Sunny Southern, CA
Stephanie, When you email Rosella (Dr. A's assistant & daughter) she will give you a list of available dates. I'm sure if you asked for a specific day Dr. A would attempt to accomodate you. I stayed 9 1/2 days and had the staples and tubes removed in Mexico. I utilized the apartment and private nursing service Dr. A has available and I highly recommend it. The nurse takes your vitals, cleans your incision and the tube port daily, applies new bandages, monitors your bag output, etc. The first tube is removed in the hospital the day you are released and then the second tube comes out with the first half of the staples on day 8, early the morning you leave the second set of staples come out on day 9. I'm really glad I stayed and had everything removed SOTB. I just felt better getting the final ok from Dr. A when everything was removed. Hope this helps, Michelle
stephaniekleinn
on 8/23/06 1:29 pm
Michelle, Thanks so much for answering all my questions. Rosella hasn't responded to my last three emails so I was begining to worry. I also was having seconds thoughts tonight, questioning whether I could do it on my own, and questioning whether i'm willing to give up my lifestyle the way it is now...I still think the answer is yes. I've been researching it for three years so I guess its time to do it. My best friend had the bypass here in the states a couple of years ago and she looks amazing...she just had a baby about six months ago and the weight has all come off, not that she gained much to begin with. She's orginally from Puerto Rico and she's offered to give up her vacation time in December and go with me...a Spanish speaker is always helpful...and she's my best friend...an amazing woman! Thanks Again! Stephanie
Eggface
on 8/24/06 2:18 am - Sunny Southern, CA
Anytime Stephanie, I hope you can bring your friend that would be great. I did it alone but that is the only thing I would change about the experience. You really need someone to chat with, walk with, it gets boring. You don't need to know Spanish so have no fear... I know about 20 words total and was fine. I took a spanish dictionary/phrase book and never opened it. Rosella and Dr. A speak perfect English and visit a few times a day and the nurses understand and some speak a bit but they really anticipate your needs so well you rarely need to call them and when you do a hand gesture with some English seems to work perfectly. I was glad someone also having surgery was in the apartment next door it was nice to have someone to share the experience with. If you decide to go for it... bring a pal. Here are the two email addresses I have for Dr.A/Rosella try these: [email protected] [email protected] ~Michelle
Traci L.
on 8/27/06 7:20 am - Henderson, NY
Stephanie... be ABSOLULTELY sure you want to do this. It's very difficult giving up food, way more so than I thought it would be. It changes everything for a while. Be prepared mentally to do this. Best of luck! Traci
Ferchie
on 8/26/06 1:45 pm - Twin Falls, ID
I was there 11 days, I had all the staple and tubes removed while I was there, it was best for me. My surgery was on a Tuesday, I am sure if you wanted a certain day Dr. Aguirre would try to accomodate as best as he could. I stayed as long as I did because I wanted to be there for "the day of the dead" October 31 and "all saints day" November 1. I say do what your PCP says to do and stay there for the removal of the tubes and staples. Plus Ensenada is beautiful and Rosella & Bambi are amazing, you will be so taken care of. Dr. A even popped in a couple times after I was back in the apartment just to see how I was feeling and look at the incision. Totally out of the blue, you know just as well as I do that no where in the states will your doc pop in and do a house call, free, just to make sure you feel ok. Take care ~ jeremy
Traci L.
on 8/27/06 7:17 am - Henderson, NY
I would absolutely stay to get the tube and staples out... wish I had done it. I might not have ended up with trouble if I had. It's worth the few extra days to know that an expert is taking care of you! Traci
Most Active
Recent Topics
My journey
AbiM · 0 replies · 433 views
Mexico said NO
waarce · 0 replies · 628 views
Dr. Alvarez, Endobariatrics
msmith434343 · 0 replies · 1212 views
Surgery at Pompeii Surgical?
JCler97080 · 4 replies · 1838 views