Panic Attacks? Depression? Lethargy after surgery?

Dinka Doo
on 7/2/06 8:14 am - Medford, OR
It occurred to me while reading a profile last night that some people RNY) will experience similar things at times and wonder what is going on with them. Why would you have a panic attack? Why would you feel no motivation and lack of interest in doing anything? As I was reading this profile, it struck me that this person might not be experiencing any of those things she thought she was experiencing, but perhaps she was simply experiencing dumping syndrome and lack of energy from just having had surgery. So I wanted to post this: If you are a recent post op and suddenly your heart starts racing and you feel as if you are having a panic attack, consider if you ate something within the last 3 hours that might have caused this reaction. I remember feeling this way many times, and just didn't put it together for awhile. But then I realized what was going on and I went on my merry way...forgetting that someone else might experience the same thing and mistake it for a panic attack. The lethargy: Folks, you just had super serious surgery. Not only that but you are starving your body. All your energy is going into repairing the damage and healing. YOU ARE GOING TO FEEL EXHAUSTED. And sometimes you will feel amazing and want to run all over the place, only to find that once you are ready to leave the house, you are ready for a nap again. This is NORMAL. You aren't a lazy lump on a log because you can't find the energy to clean the house. You aren't a lazy lump if you get out of the shower and get dressed and want to go back to sleep. Listen to your body and be kind to it when you are a recent post op. Don't force it to use more energy than it can expend. You need healing time, and you need time to learn how food and activities make you feel now. Heck, in the very beginning I would dump on citric acid from Crystal Light and anything slightly fatty. So it varies for each person, but keep all that in mind. Don't assume you need a Xanax just because your heart is racing and you feel unsettled. It might just be what you ate....not what's eating you... Dina
Most Active
Recent Topics
My journey
AbiM · 0 replies · 437 views
Mexico said NO
waarce · 0 replies · 629 views
Dr. Alvarez, Endobariatrics
msmith434343 · 0 replies · 1212 views
Surgery at Pompeii Surgical?
JCler97080 · 4 replies · 1842 views