IN NEED OF ENCOURAGEMENT!!!!!!!!!!!!! WAY BUMMED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

azbigmamma
on 6/12/06 11:35 am - mesa, AZ
RNY on 07/26/06 with
I just met with my new primary today. He was very nice and professional. We got into the subjest of me getting the gastric bypass. I told him I was going to Mexico that my ins would not pay. He said he wished I would not do that. There is no way of telling what is truth and what is a put on when it comes to the dr's south of the border. Not that they were not competent or anything. Just asked me if I had ever met anyone or talked to anyone that went to this dr that I plan on going with face to face, I said no of course just through e-mails. He said it sounded not right. He was going to look into my ins why it would not pay for me to have this done. He agreed that it would be very beneficial for me to have the procedure done. He supported me in that way. It just got me to thinkin how do we know for sure what we are getting ourselves into until it's too late. How do we really know who we are talking to and dealing with. Now I have to decide to go to Mexico (which I did not have a problem with) or live the way I am living and hope to god that my ins will change their mind and pay for it. Which could take up to 6 months for approval. I do not think that I can wait to see what is going to happen. I have waited long enough. He said he would still continue to see me afterwards if I went to Mexico to hav it done. He just hoped that I did not have any of the complications that he has seen here. He is a primary for patients that have had the wls for the top surgeons here in AZ. I am just feeling a little confused. Anyone that has been through this or faced with issues like this please let me know. I kind of need to hear words of encouragement. Thank you for reading if you got this far. I just feel so discouraged. Please dont get me wrong I really liked my new primary. He was just voiceing his opinion and that is ok.Thanks again. Tanya
N'Awlins Kat
on 6/12/06 11:45 pm - TX
Hang in there Tanya! I'm a nurse, and I've gotten all the same kind of reception when it comes to professionals here learning that I had to consider Mexico to afford the surgery... not a single one supportive... most absolutely shocked that I would consider it. My situation is similar, struggling to get the insurance to pay, despite my doctor's clear recommendation to do so. I am starting over the 6 mo diet with a new primary, hoping that she will help me document my weight loss attempts sufficiently for the insurance company's approval. As a nurse, I have to admit that the risks of going out of the country are definitely there... even if you DO find a great doc and a great clean hospital... you don't speak their language, and important stuff (like communicating serious symptoms) could get lost in translation. While I was willing to take that risk, as a last resort... I *MUST* try other options first. Kat
(deactivated member)
on 6/13/06 2:14 am
RNY on 08/16/05 with
Tanya, As smart as doctors are, they don't know everything. I'm sure your doctor is looking out for your best interest, especially if he said he will still take your case if you go to Mexico. It DOES sound like a scam when you say you've only talked to others through email. Maybe you should tell him you have several "friends" who have gone to the same doctor in Mexico and they are all fine and had great experiences. That's what we are all here for, we're friends, right? Some members of my family acted like there were only dirt roads there with the doctor riding up on a burro and doing surgery in a tent with the same knife he used on the last 100 patients! LOL It was hard for me to convince them that it was okay. Check out the pictures on my profile and print them off for your doctor if you want to. It's a nice, clean, new facility. Please don't feel discouraged. Do what you want to do, not what others think you should do. I know it's hard when you get bombarded with comments from doubtful people. Best of luck to you! Kina 220/125/120
AllstateAgentWI
on 6/13/06 9:35 am - Watertown, WI
RNY on 05/16/06 with
Hey Tanya, First of all let me tell you a little bit about the hospital I was at in Puerto Vallarta, for starters there were no goats or chickens roaming around outside and the facilities were as nice and comfortable if not more comfortable then they are here in the US. The hospital used is strictly for Americans and very wealthy Mexicans, the technology is in the same realm as ours and the nurses and doctors speak pretty fluent English. There were 1 or 2 that we had problems communicating with, but it was not below them to go and get assistance in the translation. The nurses came running (literally) whenever something was wrong. The doctors were even better, even when you get released from the hospital, they came and saw you everyday at the hotel. They spoke english like you or me, I thought a couple of times they spoke english better then spanish! Anyways, I would send my best friend or family memeber to Mexico for a surgery like this, it was the best experience I have ever had and would do it again in a heart beat. IF you would like, call me at 920-285-6500, I will tell you more about my experience, but be prepared to hear that truth and nothing less. Keep your head up high and smile, this is not a bad thing to want to save $23,000 plus for a medical procdure you need, not a cosmetic surgery! Christina
Naturegoddess
on 6/14/06 9:31 pm - Victorville, CA
RNY on 08/08/05 with
The problem with going to Mexico is that if you have problems after surgery (once you come back to the States) NO surgeon will touch you for at least 90 days. For me it took me 9 months to find a surgeon who will help me. I've got 2 more tests to go then it's time for exploritory surgery. If I were you I'd wait to see if your insurance will cover it. Do they have an exclusion that says you won't be treated for any surgeries that you have done yourself? It can be a BIG problem if you end up having to pay for all your aftercare. You've waited this long... 6 more months is just a drop in the bucket. *hugs* ~Audrey~
NeedHelp
on 6/27/06 2:13 pm - Rockford, IL
Tanya, why won't the ins. co. cover you/ Is it an exclusion policy. If you have a primary here to help you, 6 months really will fly by. I didn't think I could wait either, but after 1 year and jumping through hoops, they finally gave me what I wanted. I have read and posted on this board for some time. about 1 year, and I keep seeing Joya in PV and Rumbaut in Monterrey are getting excellent comments. Kim M.
Most Active
Recent Topics
My journey
AbiM · 0 replies · 433 views
Mexico said NO
waarce · 0 replies · 628 views
Dr. Alvarez, Endobariatrics
msmith434343 · 0 replies · 1212 views
Surgery at Pompeii Surgical?
JCler97080 · 4 replies · 1838 views