Toronto Fills for Mexican surgery....

ryhan
on 6/9/06 1:18 pm - toronto, Canada
Lap Band on 08/09/06 with
Hi Everyone.... I'm fairly new here and I'm having my band done in Mexico this summer..... YAY ME! I was just wondering if there is anyone in the GTA that is in the same boat as me and what doctor you used here to do the fills....? I'm getting worried about all the stories that the doctors wont treat you if you didn't have your surgery with them..... I can't afford to go to Mexico every time I need a fill...(wish I could tho) ALSO....how much do they charge you....? Thanks for any info you have :D (this message is cross posted in the LB forum as well)
Lorraine Wentz
on 6/10/06 1:38 pm - St. Catharines, Canada
Hey Ryan, I'm in Niagara On The Lake and had open rny in Mexico last summer. I think your best bet is to go to the lap band forum and find out where the closest doc is in the states to do your fills. Just ask for the list of docs in US that will do MX fills. There are none here in Canada that will even touch you. I bet there's one in New York or Michigan though! Good luck! I wish you all the best! Who's your surgeon? Do you mind if I ask how much you're paying? Cheers! Lorraine
ryhan
on 6/10/06 2:51 pm - toronto, Canada
Thanks.... the (two) LB doctors here said no (when I called and asked).... I live downtown, and thus dont drive...this is gonna be SUCH a pain in the rear- worth it though! I have decided to go to Dr Joya. His price is $8,856.40 CAD .. whi*****luded everything including airfare from here in T.O. I have not officially booked yet but am hoping for late July/early August at the latest. The least expensive LB doctor here is $15,000!! BTW...thanks for the suggestion
Lorraine Wentz
on 6/11/06 2:09 am - St. Catharines, Canada
I've heard many a good thing about Dr. Joya. I'm sure you're in great hands. Canada is sadly lacking in any knowledge regarding wls. There are a few people here that are really trying to make a difference, but with universal health care and a extreme absence of surgeons that do any kind of wls, it's a a hard thing to advocate. Did you apply for Out of Country payment? I did. Twice. I was 432 lbs. but they said I didn't have enough co-morbidities! Yeah.... whatever. Anyway! I'm glad that you're taking action and going to MX. Good luck! Cheers! Lorraine
ryhan
on 6/11/06 8:15 am - toronto, Canada
I'm not even bothering to apply for OHIP to cover.... such a waste. I love the fact that I don't pay anything to go to the doctor or visit a hospital (mind you I wait for HOURS either way- but I suspect that it's like that in the US too!) but when it comes to anything out of the ordinary (ie:wls) than you had better be in worse off shape than me:P My mom got OHIP rny back in the 80's-took years even then! I don't want to wait to start living again.
Lorraine Wentz
on 6/11/06 8:55 am - St. Catharines, Canada
I'm not even sure how many people OHIP approves for OOC lap band..... none I don't think.... Well, all I know is, OHIP is a catch twenty-two. Sometimes I'm thankful we have it (as in the case with me being pregnant. Don't have to pay a thing) but at the cost of having good family physicians and short waiting periods in the ER or at the doc's office. I don't know..... I'm torn. How is your mom doing? I'd love to meet someone so far post-op. Thank you about my family! They're my world! I know they're beautiful, but when someone else mentions it, it tickles me pink! Thank you also about my profile! I'm a big advocate about keeping your profile up to date after wls because there are so many people that gather confidence and knowledge from them. Anyway! Kudos again for saying screw it to wls in Canada!! Cheers! Lorraine
ryhan
on 6/11/06 11:31 am - toronto, Canada
My mom's surgery was not successful long term :o( I think the technology for RNY has come leaps and bounds since then... and she admits that she did not follow the rules either..... it's too bad. she IS very supportave of my decision though.
Lorraine Wentz
on 6/11/06 11:50 am - St. Catharines, Canada
That's too bad. Has she ever considered a revision? I bet she could get bumped to the front of the line with any surgeon here in Canada. Any of them would love to see what her system is like this long after having RNY. I'm glad that she's supportive. There are many who decide to go to Mexico that are met with unhappy and unsupportive family members. It's a blessing to have loved ones that realize that we're not making an easy split second decision, and that we've done more research than most people do who have their surgery done state side. Cheers! Lorraine
ryhan
on 6/11/06 8:20 am - toronto, Canada
BTW... I read your ENTIRE blog/profile...... WAY TO GO!! you ROCK! Ryan. ps. Your family is beautiful!
Most Active
Recent Topics
My journey
AbiM · 0 replies · 433 views
Mexico said NO
waarce · 0 replies · 628 views
Dr. Alvarez, Endobariatrics
msmith434343 · 0 replies · 1212 views
Surgery at Pompeii Surgical?
JCler97080 · 4 replies · 1838 views