To eat one or not to eat one?

gabriela
on 6/2/06 5:02 am - MI
I am on my 3rd day of my pre-op diet and I was wondering if one hard boiled egg would hurt my diet? It has no carbs and its high in protein. What do you guys think? And if you guys can give me some examples of what you guys ate during your pre-op that would be greatly appricated. Also I have this really bad taste in my mouth almost sourish. This is happening sense yesterday and I have been brushing my teeth alot to get rid or it. Is this normal when you stop eating alot? I have to keep water next to me all day to take a drink to get rid of that taste for a while. Anyways thanks for your input. Bye Gabriela
azbigmamma
on 6/2/06 7:49 am - mesa, AZ
RNY on 07/26/06 with
Gabriela, I read somewhere on this site that the bad taste in your mouth means you are starting to burn fat and that is where the bad tast come from. That is just what I heard, so I do not know if it is true or not. Good luck too you. Tanya
Dinka Doo
on 6/2/06 9:46 am - Medford, OR
Pre-op diets vary amongst surgeons so it's hard to give advice on such things because I think most people don't want to encourage you to do something your surgeon says you shouldn't do. That being said, I will tell you what I would do personally. From what I can surmise the point of following the diet is to shrink the liver to make it easier on the surgeon. And from my own perspective, protein is protein whether it be solid or liquid. Having pasturized egg in a protein shake I would think would be no different than having a boiled egg. The other consideration is how much waste is in your body before surgery. My surgeon didn't require a diet prior to surgery, nor a colon cleanse. He just told me to have a very light dinner the night before, which I did. So were it me, I'd eat a boiled egg, but make sure not to overdo it and perhaps the day or two before surgery make sure I followed his recommendations. The funny taste...that is ketosis. This is indeed the process where the body is burning fat. Drink lots of water and it will help dilute the taste. You can also chew sugarless gum to help combat it. I found sugar free drinks like Crystal Light to be helpful in getting rid of the flavor. Just have something to sip on all the time, that should help. And yes, brushing your teeth does help for a time as well. Hope that helps! Dina
Most Active
Recent Topics
My journey
AbiM · 0 replies · 433 views
Mexico said NO
waarce · 0 replies · 628 views
Dr. Alvarez, Endobariatrics
msmith434343 · 0 replies · 1212 views
Surgery at Pompeii Surgical?
JCler97080 · 4 replies · 1838 views