Flying to Mexico Question

gabriela
on 5/21/06 10:19 pm - MI
Hi its me Gabriela. I am having my surgery on June 7th with Dr. Rumbaut in Monterrey. I had a question about flying. I havent flown sense I was 80 pounds lighter. I am scared I wont fit in a seat or that I will be told to buy a second seat. I have heard so many horror stories. I am a size 24 bottem and 26/28 top. I weigh 330 and I am 5ft.8in. tall. I carry most of my weight on top. I have always been a size or two smaller waist down. So anybody out there with these similar measurments with airplane knowledge? I would really appriciate it. I am nervouse about this well mostly nervouse about being humiliated in front of many other people. Thanks Oh I am flying with Mexicanan airlines. Gabriela
bridgetok
on 5/22/06 7:00 am - Sanford, NC
Hi Gabriela Every airline has a different policy. But I'm pretty sure the only airline that has the policy to buy an additional seat is Southwest. My husband and I flew to Monterrey in January to have surgery with Dr Rumbaut. (american airlines) I was about 350 and my husband was about 480. We didn't have any problems but I will admit it was not comfortable. The flight from Ft Lauderdale to Dallas was overbooked and no extra seats. Luckilly the third lady in our row of three was petite, but it was cramped. The other leg of the flight into Monterrey was a smaller plane with single seats, a window on one side and the isle on the other. For all 4 flights, two there and two home, we needed seat belt extenders. We didn't have to ask, they were discretely dropped into our laps by the stewards right after we boarded. The best advice I can give you is to suck it up and hold your head proud, because this will be the LAST time you fly in an airplane and will have to worry about the size of the seats! Bridget
azbigmamma
on 5/22/06 10:33 am - mesa, AZ
RNY on 07/26/06 with
Hi Gabriela, I never thought of that till I just read your post. OMG a new set of things to worry about. I have not flown in over 6 years. I was a loooot smaller about 100lbs smaller, and I barely got in there then. I guess that is something we will have to take up witht he coordinators planning our trips. let me know if you find out any more, and I will do the same for you. Thanks Tanya
vickig
on 5/23/06 8:57 am - CRAWFORD, GA
i know comfort is an issue. as for humility...who gives a flip. thia is the last time you will have this challenge. will you see any of these people again on a regular basis maybe? and you will look fabulous!!!!!!!! worry about bigger things....like how to get your knick nacks from mexcio home!you will be fine!
jtblessedgal
on 5/25/06 12:43 pm - Columbia, MO
Hey Gabriela, It will be a tight fit and pretty uncomfortable but going to was a lot more comfy than coming home. Going to I was in an aisle with only 2 seats and it was my daughter and I so I had plenty of room. Coming home it was a booked flight. I was in a 3 seat aisle and placed right in the middle...aagghh!! I'm not sure the size of the person you are flying with but I would definantly check into a 2 seat aisle, or atleast make sure your seat is the one next to the aisle so you have a little room to move. If you can afford it, fly first class. They provide bigger, roomier seats and only 2 seats per aisle always! All in all though, it will be fine. Jeanne
Most Active
Recent Topics
My journey
AbiM · 0 replies · 433 views
Mexico said NO
waarce · 0 replies · 628 views
Dr. Alvarez, Endobariatrics
msmith434343 · 0 replies · 1212 views
Surgery at Pompeii Surgical?
JCler97080 · 4 replies · 1838 views