Pre-Op Questions!

gabriela
on 5/20/06 6:26 am - MI
Hi I am having a lap RNY in Mexico with Dr. Rumbaut on June 7th. The time is quickly approaching. I just needed some information on the pre-op diet. I am told to do it for a week before surgery, drinking only liquids. But does this mean any liquids or do I have to watch out for fat, calories, sodium, or/and, sugar? I was told to drink protien shakes or slimfast optima to replace my meals. Can I just have a slimfast optima for breakfast, lunch, and, dinner? And can I have as much Christal Light drinks as I want or should I just stick to water? Are sugar free popsicles considered liquid? And would it be a good idea to start taking some kind of vitamen now before surgery or should I just wait until after my surgery is done to start taking some? Thanks. Gabriela
bridgetok
on 5/22/06 7:06 am - Sanford, NC
Hi again Gabriela! This is what I was told by Dr Rodriguez about a week before surgery. ONLY liquids. It is much better to stick to low carb/low fat. But you don't have to count your fat or anything. Just make wise choices. If you buy soup with veggies or chunks, blend it before you consume it. Any sugar free liquid is fine. The crystal light is just like water. SF jello and popsicles too. As far as vitamins, they will have you start them about 1 week post op. Dr Rumbaut and Elsa, the nutritionist will go over all that in Mexico, even showing you the best ones to buy. You made a great decision and chose a great surgeon! Good luck to you! Bridget
Sun Smith
on 5/26/06 4:11 pm - Seattle, WA
Yes, sugar free popsicles are fine. Yes, take vitamins. Slimfast Optima is fine for now. After surgery you may find it too sweet (I did). Water is better, Crystal Light is fine too. Soda pops should be avoided. Getting past your caffine withdrawal (I was a diet Pepsi addict) BEFORE you go to Mexico may reduce the chances of you having caffine withdrawal headaches. Jello is a good friend, still. Good luck and best wishes. -Pam
Most Active
Recent Topics
My journey
AbiM · 0 replies · 433 views
Mexico said NO
waarce · 0 replies · 628 views
Dr. Alvarez, Endobariatrics
msmith434343 · 0 replies · 1212 views
Surgery at Pompeii Surgical?
JCler97080 · 4 replies · 1838 views