I'm just full of questions...

Dreamy
on 5/19/06 1:55 pm
I was just wondering if this board could supply me with some answers to some of the things I've been wondering... 1. What was it like on the flight home from mexico? I mean, were you still totally out-of-it? Still on pain meds? Was the plane ride miserable since you have to sit upright for a long time? Or are most people pretty well-recovered by the time they return to US? Part of my concern about having surgery in mexico vs. the us is that you have to go thru all the stress of travel, standing in lines at airports, etc...I'm thinking about the rny procedure especially...I know lapbanders recover faster. 2. How long until you can drive? Were you still in bed pretty much most of the time after you got back from mexico or were you recovered enough by the time you returned from mexico that you could drive home from the airport if you wanted to? 3. Even though you don't need insurance to self-pay in mexico, do most surgeons there have requirements like reports from dieticians, proof of morbid obesity, your medical records from your current pcp, etc? 4. When you go to have the surgery, is that the first time you meet the doctor, or do you have to fly to mexico and back before surgery for tests and stuff? 5. Has anyone flown to mexico for surgery all by themselves, or do you pretty much HAVE to have someone else with you to help with stuff? I mean, I'm sure it's BETTER to have someone, but I'm single, live alone, no really close friends, and I'm not really close enough to family members that I would feel comfortable asking someone to fly to mexico with me and take care of me while I have wls. I feel bad enough trying to think of someone who would babysit my dog if I decided to do this. Is it totally unrealistic to go it alone? 6. Do the surgeons ever turn people away, like what would happen if I flew to mexico and they do tests on me and find out that I'm not a good candidate for surgery for some reason? Has that ever happened to anyone? Do you still have to pay for plane ride, hotel rooms etc, if it's part of a surgery package? Anyway, these are just some things I've been pondering. I haven't really made up my mind about anything yet, but I'm just hoping for some feedback. Thanks all!
LinZhi's Mum
on 5/19/06 4:16 pm - Wadsworth, OH
RNY on 11/30/05 with
KM, Please be patient with me, I am going to try and answer all your questions as truthfully as possible. I am probley the exception to all the rules. I was banded in Monterrry Mexico in 2002, then I had RNY in PV Mexico in November. So I have experience with both Banding- I was banded on a friday evening after flying there on direct flight. I was put in hotel on top floor of hospital on Sat at noon. Sunday we left and went back home. It was tiring walking in houston airport, to get my connecting flight to Dallas. I was at my heaviest wt of 426, and miserable. I went back to work on tuesday. RNY- I flew in alone on Wednesday, got there at noon, was in surgery about 5 pm, and was in hospital for 4 nights. I got in my room about 2 am, and I was up in shower and bathroom by 7 am. I was up and going from then on out. I left on Sunday, headed to resort, I was on beach sunday, and in a bar Monday night. ( no booze, cl liquids...water) I went on a "booze cruise" trip on Tuesday night. YEah, I was sore, and tired at times.....but the flight home was a breeze. I felt good! I actually got to Dallas and drove home!! The roughest part, it was rush hour traffic, I got lost, and I was a bit tired. I stopped at Target and wasted some time. 2. It probley was not the "best" thing to do to drive, but my surgery was laproscopic, and I had surgery on 30th, and I was coming home on 9th. My stitches were out, and I really had no other option but drive home. I was off work another week and I did not drive alot, just quick store trips. 3. Well with my banding, I did have to fill out paperwork on history and so forth. I do not think they were as detailed and thorough as my RNY. No, they did not care about your BMI with the banding. AS far as my RNY, Dr. Joya had me fill out pages and pages of medical history, psych history, and so forth. I am a nurse, so I knew what my concerns were, and spoke to him in detail before I went to Mexico, and before surgery in Mexico. I am sure, that if someone was not truthful, and the assessment and pre op labs indicated too high of a risk, that Dr. Joya would not do the surgery. I have seen stories of people not being honest, or forgetting to tell they were on blood thinners, and get in trouble post op. As far as RNY and your BMI, I would assume that if you were not enough overweight the doctor would be concerned if you lose to much. I am not sure but I think they are not as strict as insurance carriers are. 4. I did not meet doctor til I was there. I had interaction with doctor, and his staff, via emails, and phone. 5. I do not think its unrealistic to go alone. I went alone. My friend did fly in from CA on Sunday when I went to resort. Yes, it was great having her there, but I met some wonderful folks on here, that had surgery the same week. We stuck together, and helped each other. And the other two girls, had family with them. Dr. Joya has staff to meet all your needs. There have been several go alone Its doable. 6. I am not sure about this. I guess it would be based on your medical history. If you have insurance, have a history and physical done, to rule out and problems. I am sure, if someone is diabetic, for instance, and arrives to Mexico with diabetes way out of control.....the doc may opt to postpone surgery. I know one girl, that did not do pre op diet, did not follow instructions, did not try to quit smoking....and had some complications. Now, most docs if you have complications, you will be charged extra. Its usually reasonable, and much less that US Well, goodluck in your research. I think that is the key component. Research. Know what your getting into. Make sure you have a doctor willing to follow up your care when you get home. That in my opinion...is a must. And with experience here talking....banded pts in Mexico, can be tricky getting follow up care. Some areas are getting better resources...just get your post op plan figured out before you have surgery...thats my best advice!!! Hugs, Sandy
Just Me
on 5/20/06 12:08 am - Happy Place, TN
I had OPEN RNY, went alone and would do it again. 1) The ride home was rough, but doable. The ride from Ensenada was about and hour and a half? I can't remember. The driver, "Bambi" was kind abou****ching potholes, but there is only so much a driver can do... it is a car and not a hovercraft. The plane ride was not fun, but it could have been better if a stewardess (note I called her a stewardess and not a flight attendant)... would have allowed me to STAND while the seatbelt signal indicated one coudl move about the cabin. I saw in the very back of the plane and could have stood next to the bathroom... but of course I was standing next to her and she couldn't flirt with good looking guy across from her... I had open RNY so standing was imperative for part of the flight even for a moment. I simply went into the restroom and stood. No big deal really. All one has to do is stand for about 5 minutes during an hour rather than sitting the whole 3 hour flight. 2) It was well over 10 days before I drove, but I had no reason to venture into my car. There is no way I could have performed a strenuous job (Nurse on a hospital floor, dental assistant performing word on an individual, Retail sales clerk, .. or anything else that would require stomach muscles.) I COULD have gone to work at a desk job, but only if I could have controlled when I got up, moved around, worked hard, took a break, etc.... you get my drift... if your boss is pushy and you don't control and manage your work time, then take the time off at the very least two weeks. Do your body a favor. I for one push myself, but I took it gentle knowing I came from MExico and I had better not disturb anything no stitch breaking, no too quick movements to create a hernia, etc. 3) Self pay. Dr. Aguirre woudl perform surgery if you were 100 pounds overweight or had a high BMI (can't remember the exact BMI) I lost about 20 pounds on my own and was going down and remember becoming scared that he wouldn't do the surgery because I was too small, so like an idiot I gained a lot back prior to surgery. 4. First time I fly to mexico was the time I met the doctor, he asked pertinent questions, tested, and performed surgery next day. (There is some debate over the screening process among those who thought about Mexico and those who did mexico. I had no complications. I can only think of about three people who have experienced a complication from dr. Aguirre. So I am not goign to dispute his screening process.) 5. I went all by myself. no one in my family knows I had surgery. NO ONE. Not my dog, dentist, work, son, mother, father, sister, in-laws, out-laws, (I have no husband so that makes it easier).. anyway, yes I would do it again, alone. Question.. do I still have to pay for plane ride, hotel rooms, etc. if it's part of a surgery package.... I giggled when I read this question, because I am sure you left something out or typed too fast... if the hotel, etc. is part of the surgery package, then you already paid for it... I paid the doctor directly for medical expenses and paid separately for hotel, plane ride, car ride, etc. to each individual responsible for such. You know, paid the airlines myself and the hotel myself when I arrived... etc. Mexico is not for the faint of heart. IF you prone to complications, don't do it unless you reveal EVERY SINGLE THING to your doctor... For gosh sakes don't hide anything like smoking. If you smoke or smoked... tell the doc and the anesthesiologist... that information changes the way they perform certain procedures you know... anyway using that as an example. I had taken A LOT of Guaifenesinj. It is classified as an expectorant; that is, it is designed to reduce the thickness of mucus and phlegm, making it easier to cough up and out... so it was necessary for the anesthesiologist to know that because my body would react differently to his "stuff"... I kept a sign on me written in spanish and english to remind the anesthesiologist I had taken that about 3 hours prior to surgery. I wouldn't let any nurse move it! I took a laptop which connected to the internet via a mobile unit. I could type in an english phrase, sentence, paragraph and it would translate it into spanish. This helped... more because the nurses could tell I was making an effort to speak with them more than what I was saying... Each and every person with whom I had contact was just as good or superior to those I have seen in two local hospitals within the last 12 months. If you are high maintenance, require a lot of attendance to you, must have a lot of your questions answered, (and I don't mean this kind... I mean if you badger a doctor and you know if you do... hypocondreact needy?) then stay in the states... They won't all speak english, you are on THEIR territory, remember that. (Safe? Heck yeah... I didn't feel as if I was going to be kidnapped. I didn't take my passport, but I did have my driver's license. NOW? nope I wouldn't go unless I had a passport, or at the very least had a letter from a PCP in the STATES And a letter from the Mexican doctor indicating he performed surgery.. and show my scars... border is probably different now, but who knows.?
Dreamy
on 5/21/06 10:07 am
Thanks guys. I really appreciate how willing people are to answer questions on this website. You both really helped me a lot. It's a big decision, and it helps to get questions answered from people who've been through it all. You've given me a better idea of what to expect if I choose to do this in Mexico.
vickig
on 5/23/06 9:50 am - CRAWFORD, GA
ok flight home don't wear a bra! underwire agravated drian site very awkward! i wouldn't drive home myself simply because you can't stay in one position to terbly long.i only took pian meds at night(lap rny)third you have to fill out a medical ?aire. i heard someone say if you fake it on this and get there and you look risky to the dr. they will say no!you can go a day early to do this stuff i did it the day i arrived and had sx. that night!i was more afraid of missing a lay over than the flight never flew before didn't knoe the ropes. if i had experience flying i would have gone alone no problem!all ready answered #6you will be fine!email me w/ any more!i had wls w/ dr joya
Sun Smith
on 5/26/06 4:02 pm - Seattle, WA
1. What was it like on the flight home from mexico? It was fine, but I was tired and sore. However, I didn't travel home until a week after the surgery. I kept a pillow on my lap to help soften the bounces (though it was the taxi to the airport and the ride from the airport to home that were harder than the actual flight). The smart thing I did, they had room so I paid to upgrade to first class. It made the flight much, much more pleasant to have room (side to side and to stretch my legs). 2. How long until you can drive? Were you still in bed pretty much most of the time after you got back from mexico or were you recovered enough by the time you returned from mexico that you could drive home from the airport if you wanted to? I could have driven, but luckily didn't need to. 3. Even though you don't need insurance to self-pay in mexico, do most surgeons there have requirements like reports from dieticians, proof of morbid obesity, your medical records from your current pcp, etc? Depends on your Mexican surgeon. Dr. Rumbaut had me see a doctor and nurse in Mexico the day before my surgery. They got a complete medical history then, and did a complete physical including bloodwork and x-rays. I did not need to bring medical records with me. 4. When you go to have the surgery, is that the first time you meet the doctor, or do you have to fly to mexico and back before surgery for tests and stuff? While I had e-mailed and talked to the doctor and his office, I hadn't met them until the day before my surgery. It was just one trip to Mexico. 5. Has anyone flown to mexico for surgery all by themselves, or do you pretty much HAVE to have someone else with you to help with stuff? Having somebody with you makes it easier. However, it isn't required. When I was there others were getting it done that were by themselves. The first day or two after leaving the hospital, while still in the hotel, it was nice to have somebody fetch stuff. But, since I was supposed to be walking and excercising, getting stuff myself would not have been that big of a deal. 6. Do the surgeons ever turn people away? I'm sure they do. However, I'm not aware of it. For my surgeon - the hotel and plane fare were not part of the package. The surgeon, medical costs and hospital fees were. I stayed in the hospital an additional day (pain from having my gall bladder out in addition to the lap RNY) and did not get an additional bill. -Pam
Most Active
Recent Topics
My journey
AbiM · 0 replies · 433 views
Mexico said NO
waarce · 0 replies · 628 views
Dr. Alvarez, Endobariatrics
msmith434343 · 0 replies · 1212 views
Surgery at Pompeii Surgical?
JCler97080 · 4 replies · 1838 views