Is there any neg input for Dr. Joya?

azbigmamma
on 5/12/06 2:15 pm - mesa, AZ
RNY on 07/26/06 with
I am thinking of going to Mexico to get the procedure done. But I find it funny that there is no neg input about anything on this Dr. or staff. No Dr. is perfect. I know that a lot of people have gone to this Dr. I am in no way shape or form saying that this Dr. is not on the up and up. I just need to make sure that if I am going to spend any kind of money like that, that I am not going to a quack that just wants the money. When we make a decision as big as this one is, we just need to make sure who we are dealing with. And also why is it that almost everyone that has gone to Mexico for surgery only has the lap band done? There are not that many that actualy have the gastric bypass done. Is Mexico mainly for the lap banders? I also have been on other Dr's. websites to check them out that are in Mexico and they don't advertise their prices like Dr. Joya does. I have seen that some of you have had the surgery back in Jan, Feb, or March and paid 12,500.00 back then, but now he is advertising this month only that it is 12,500.00. Did anyone have to pay more in those months than the people that had it done this month that had no complications? I know complications are extra. Well if anyone can help me and answer some questions I would appreciate it. My e-mail addy is [email protected]. Thank you.
bjjantzen
on 5/12/06 10:26 pm - Katy, TX
RNY on 03/17/06 with
Tanya - I had the RNY done on 3/17/06 with Dr. Joya. I actually only Paid 12,000 b/c I booked my own airfair for my mother and myself. The 12,500 price is sooo good they keep holding it over. So it has been that way for a few months now. As for my experience, it was the best. I got fabulous care by Dr. Joya and his support staff. The worst things that happened to me were that I had an allergic reaction to the pain medication and I blew my iv vein and had to have the iv started 4 times. But I think that was because of how I was getting out of bed. I have been in the Hospital in the US many time with complications from pregnancy and Gall Stones within the last 5 years and I never received the type of care here in the US that I received over in Mexico. It is way more personal. You are not a number to them, you are a patient. If you read my profile, I have a day by day account of my stay in PV. I am now almost 2 months out and have lost 46.6 lbs. I entered Onederland yesterday weighing in at 199.4! I was so excited, I had myself a chocolate covered strawberry. I am one of the lucky people who have no restrictions. I can tolerate sugar, milk, meat, anything I have tried I can tolerate, I just eat way way way less... And I find I am making better choices too.
(deactivated member)
on 5/13/06 10:45 am - Phoenix, AZ
* I had RNY with Dr Joya on March 13th, 2006, I paid $12,500.00. With extra because I had complications. There were some things I didn't understand why they handled things the way the did like the after care being so hit and miss, and why my blood pressure wasnt being monitered better while in the resort... Even so I have nothing negative to say about any part of my experience, I was treated with care and compassion and I would do it all over again.
AllstateAgentWI
on 5/13/06 9:31 am - Watertown, WI
RNY on 05/16/06 with
I completely understand your concerns about going to Mexico for this life altering surgery. I did so much research on Dr Joya, called and talked to Gerald at Dr Joya's office 100 times, talked to MANY MANY patients and was still unsure. Then one day i was sitting at work and it dawned on me, maybe I was being to fussy. I think there is no such thing as being to fussy when it comes to you health. I deceided to go for it. I was not prepared to pay $40,000 in the US when I could pay $12,500 in Mexico and have a more ALL INCLUSIVE package! I did talk to a gentlemen from GA and he paid $16,000 for his surgery. So in April I booked my surgery for 5/16/2006. I called Gerald, wired the money to him and he not only booked my airline ticket but he also booked my moms to make sure we were on the same flights (we had to paid for hers of course!) So here I am 3 days out, getting tired of pre-op diet (I think is the most difficult part so far and from what I hear) and prepared to leave for P.V. at 6:00 AM on Tuesday morning. So that is my story, I hope it helps. Also being on this chat room, I have met MANY new people who have already had the surgery there, people who are going to be there when I am there and people who are going after me! I hope you feel this message board is just as helpful as I feel it has been! Good Luck on your decision! Christina Dollins Watertown, WI
azbigmamma
on 5/13/06 4:09 pm - mesa, AZ
RNY on 07/26/06 with
Thank you everyone for all your stories and input. I have made up my mind to go with Dr. Joya. He has done more rny laps than the other Dr's. in Mexico have. I also worked for a dr that went to the same school as Dr. Joya. So I believe that I can trust him. I have too much to lose if I don't have the surgery. Mt son needs me so bad as well as my family. I have to get healthy. So thank you to everyone and I will be contacting Dr. Joya's office on Monday. I am sooooo excited about my decison. I am more nervous about the flight than the surgery. I am terrified to fly. I just hope I can get on the plane. Thank you again to everyone. Tanya
Naturegoddess
on 5/13/06 10:00 pm - Victorville, CA
RNY on 08/08/05 with
You actually have to go through people's profiles to find negative things about *any* of the doctors. Once up a time there was a negative comment on Dr. Joya's site here but they removed it. Good luck and make VERY sure you have aftercare set up in the US. *hugs* ~Audrey~
vickig
on 5/14/06 7:44 am - CRAWFORD, GA
i had lap rny w/ dr. j dec.15th 2005 have lost 80 lbs! only snafu was the season! natalie was on vac and dr. joya was gone a bit also. made comunication tricky during aproblem with a sedative i recived in the hospital!i had a bad reaction and they were thinking i needed more. we simply objected to more meds. it passed and all was well! i really enjoyed it . they did try there best to help me!we just couldn't comunicate well enough! if natalie had been there,i belive this would have been resolved quicker!i would do it again in a heartbeat!love mexcio and the people! best of luck!vicki g
lmsmith
on 5/14/06 2:07 pm - Burnaby, Canada
I was there the same time as Vicki and it was a bit hard not having Nathalie around. Even with that, I still had a really positive experience. Leanne LAP RNY - Dec 16/05 Dr Joya - PV Mex. 274/247/168/145??
vickig
on 5/15/06 5:52 am - CRAWFORD, GA
how are you leanne. i'm down 80 lbs!
lmsmith
on 5/15/06 5:59 am - Burnaby, Canada
Hey Vicki!! I am also down 80lbs since surgery and 107 since I booked my date and went on the liquid diet. I feel awesome and have so much more energy, I think I am drinving my kids nuts!! Leanne LAP RNY - Dec 16/05 Dr Joya 274/247/267/140??
Most Active
Recent Topics
My journey
AbiM · 0 replies · 433 views
Mexico said NO
waarce · 0 replies · 628 views
Dr. Alvarez, Endobariatrics
msmith434343 · 0 replies · 1212 views
Surgery at Pompeii Surgical?
JCler97080 · 4 replies · 1838 views