Recent Posts

mark1963
on 6/11/10 9:30 am, edited 6/11/10 9:32 am - Fairfax (Marin County), CA
Topic: Mental Health Issues and WLS
I am wondering if anyone has had surgery delayed or cancelled due to uncontrolled depression or other mental health issues?  I met with the bariatric program pschologist for the first time and she commented that it appeared that my depression wasn't controlled.  It is not perfect but it is much better than it was. 

Granted, sometimes it is hard to do everything I need to do to take care of myself to get ready for surgery, but I wonder if other people had/have this challenge. 

Thanks,
Mark
Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can and the wisdom to know the difference.

Patricia R.
on 6/11/10 1:42 am - Perry, MI
Topic: RE: Tons of Emotions
Yes, just about everyone goes through these emotions.  First, you are probably on liquids and miss eating real food.  That in itself can make someone who is used to food in any amount, especially us WLS patients.  

Second, we let off hormones during rapid weight loss, and the first few months post-op are rapid weight loss times. 

Talk to your doc about possibly going on something temporarily while you ride out these emotions.  Also, get involved in a support group. 

Hugs,
Trish

Seek always to do some good, somewhere. Every man has to seek in his own way to realize his true worth. You must give some time to your fellow man. For remember, you don't live in a world all your own. Your brothers are here too.
Albert Schweitzer

RHONDA FROM KY
on 6/10/10 10:16 pm - ALEXANDRIA, KY
Topic: ~SPIRITUAL NOT RELIGIOUS~ A DAY AT A TIME

06/11 REFLECTION FOR THE DAY
Guilt is a cunning weapon in the armory of the addictive person which continues to lurk patiently inside each of us.  We can use the weapon against ourselves in many subtle ways; it can be deftly wielded, for example, in an attempt to convince us that The Program doesn't really work.  I have to protect myself constantly against my past.  If necessary, I must constantly "re-forgive" myself, accepting myself as a mixture of good as well as bad.  AM I STRIVING FOR SPIRITUAL PROGRESS?  OR WILL I SETTLE FOR NOTHING LESS THAN THE HUMAN IMPOSSIBILITY OF SPIRITUAL PERFECTION?

TODAY I PRAY
May I look inside myself now and then for any slow-burning, leftover guilt which can, when I'm unwary, damage my purpose.  May I stop kicking myself and pointing out my own imperfections -- all those lesser qualities which detract from the ideal and "perfect" me.  May I no longer try to be unreachably, inhumanly perfect, but just spiritually whole. 

TODAY I WILL REMEMBER
I am human -- part good, part not-so-good.

It is good to have an end to journey towards; but it is the journey that matters in the end.  ~Ursula K. LeGuin

karenw730
on 6/10/10 9:36 am
Topic: Tons of Emotions
I'm only 8 days post op and I've been so emotional since I've gotten home from the hospital... from regretting I ever got the band.. to just crying for no reason.
Did anyone else go through this?  What did you do?
RHONDA FROM KY
on 6/9/10 11:00 pm, edited 6/9/10 11:30 pm - ALEXANDRIA, KY
Topic: Grateful post..

filling in for Ramon.. just until he gets back. 

today I'm grateful for ..

sleep.. I needed some and was able to get a good nites rest last night.

work.. that I still have my job, especially in this economy.

health whi*****ludes sobriety.  Alcoholism is a disease and I'm grateful mine is in remission today.

that today is thursday.. and the sun is shining!!

It is good to have an end to journey towards; but it is the journey that matters in the end.  ~Ursula K. LeGuin

RHONDA FROM KY
on 6/9/10 10:55 pm - ALEXANDRIA, KY
Topic: ~SPIRITUAL NOT RELIGIOUS~ A DAY AT A TIME
06/10 REFLECTION FOR THE DAY

When I least expect it, my keen addictive mind will try to divert me back toward my old ideas and old ways.  My mind is expert, in fact, at planting and nourishing negative feelings within me -- feelings such as envy, fear, anxiety, or guilt.  The minute I spot any of these poisonous feelings rising up, I have to deal with them.  If not, the more I think about them, the stronger they'll get; the stronger they get, the more I'll think about them -- to the point of obsession.  WHEN NEGATIVE FEELINGS ARISE, DO I "NAME THEM, CLAIM THEM, AND DUMP THEM.."?

TODAY I PRAY

I should know -- and may I please never forget -- that a sure way to let my feelings get the best of me is to pretend they aren't there.  Like spoiled offspring, they act up when they are ignored.  But also like offspring, they are here, they are mine and I am responsible for them.  May I learn to pay attention to my feelings, even if sometimes I would rather make-believe they didn't belong to me.

TODAY I WILL REMEMBER

Name them, claim them, dump them.

Miss_Kitty
on 6/9/10 4:52 am - New Bedford, MA
Topic: RE: V-I-C-T-O-R-Y!!!!!!!!
Congratulations on your 5 month recovery!  I am trying to surrender to God. I often times think He is mad at me or is testing me or something because of my seemingly endless health struggles. I am trying to eat more healthy, (using chocolate sometimes) I am trying to eat more fruit and walk more, but I still encounter health problems that cannot be diagnosed and it is frustrating. 

Keep up the good work with your recovery and surrendering to God, and you should see your size go back down to an 18 and soon even smaller!

Take care and God bless!

Do you see the glass as half empty or half full? I say, what difference does it make--I paid for a full glass,so either way I am getting jipped!!!

Patricia R.
on 6/7/10 2:57 am - Perry, MI
Topic: RE: Anyone need dosage increase post-op on meds
First of all, I believe most post-ops in the first few months go through some emotional swings.  Weight loss, especially rapid loss, releases hormones into the blood.  Secondly, now that we no longer have food, which I used like a drug, the feelings I tried to stuff are at the surface, and I am more vulnerable than before.

If you are not already in therapy, it might be something to consider.  Also, make sure you get your psych meds from a psychiatrist, as they can screen for other mental health issues.  Call your doc to discuss adjusting your meds.

Seek always to do some good, somewhere. Every man has to seek in his own way to realize his true worth. You must give some time to your fellow man. For remember, you don't live in a world all your own. Your brothers are here too.
Albert Schweitzer

FaithApril2010
on 6/7/10 1:27 am
Topic: RE: Anyone need dosage increase post-op on meds

I was wondering the samething today!!  I take Prozac 10 mg for PMS and it doesn't seem to be doing the job this month.  I watch the finale of LOST yesterday and have been weepy ever since.  LOL!  =)  I should be starting anyday, but having a hard time getting out of this funk! 

Hang in there! 

5'6"  -12 lbs pre-op diet

Patricia R.
on 6/6/10 10:52 pm - Perry, MI
Topic: RE: V-I-C-T-O-R-Y!!!!!!!!
I understand the chocolate thing.  My surgeon suggested dark chocolate for that.  What also helps me is Klondike's Slim-A-Bear bars, which are no sugar added ice cream bars covered with chocolate. 

My alcoholism is under control right now.  I am working my AA program rigorously, and I have almost five months since my last drink.  I changed in rehab, and I am grateful.  It has to do with surrendering to God.  I finally did that, and have been doing it daily since.

I used to be a 3X and got down to a 18, but now wear 20. 

Hang in there.

Trish

Albert Schweitzer

Most Active
Recent Topics
For your education and support
Cathy W. · 2 replies · 788 views
Wellbutrin
merlin300 · 2 replies · 772 views
Best Healthcare Center
jungisstephens · 0 replies · 996 views
What triggers your anxiety
danmarc · 2 replies · 1704 views