Recent Posts

m1randa55
on 10/2/15 2:30 pm - Brantford, Canada
Topic: RE: My psychiatrist has just diagnosed me...

Hi there, I'm from Canada so I'm not sure if my experience will be similar to yours. I have had mental health issues since my teen years. Some of my issues include Major Depressive Disorder, Generalized Anxiety Disorder and PTSD, to name a few. When I went for my assessments for emotional health prior to being approved for my surgery, I decided to be completely open with my struggles, even though I wanted to downplay them. As it turned out, my issues were important, but my treatment plan was by far the most important factor. In other words, issues are okay if you are actively involved with treatment professionals and have an ongoing plan to deal with existing issues and those that might arise in the future.

Be open, be honest, be yourself. You deserve to feel good emotionally and physically. I hope you find as much support as I did. Good luck!

Bev from Brantford, Ontario, Canada RNY - Feb.27, 2014 @ St. Joe's Hamilton - Diabetes in Remission & Blood Pressure normal now. YAY!

HW - 303 lbs CW(pre op) - 274.5  at 5 months out 202.5 lbs Current weight on Aug.18/14 is 195 lbs May 2015 at goal - 160 pounds

(deactivated member)
on 9/22/15 5:33 am - nyork, AK
Topic: RE: Can anyone suggest an antidepressant/anti-anxiety medication that does not cause weight gain.

Here are a few amazing tips that will help you get rid of depression/anxiety and also will keep you healthy and stop your weight gain.

-Rest well by that i mean proper 7-8 hrs of sleep and try to set a schedule for that ..also power naps 
-Exercise don't over do set 15-30 mins of ur day time for this ..or like every alternate day and make it a habit . Don't over do it keep it mild ..try treadmill or so ..when you don't feel like it try substituting this time with other sport activity say basketball etc or cycling/swimming 
-just like exercise set apart a few mins of your daily time to meditate or quieting your mind say 15 mins again don't overdo it or if you cant do it daily set 2-3 days a week and make a habit of it 
-Get into some club with a cause say a club that volunteers or any club check out what you like or would like ..it can be a sports club , music club reading club any club where you think you cud find people who have likes/minds like you 
-Get busy ..I would suggest some mental stimulation ...anything where yo could learn a new skill say music , math, anything u think you like 
-Watch your stomach..eat well ..small meals if you like don't overeat keep your belly light but don't starve yourself ..you ll be astounded how active you can be if your gut is light ..but again sleep beats it all ..sleep well.. 
-Do one experiment: keep a check on ur moods against how well you slept last night ..may be its just the sleep ..many times when we dont sleep well our mind wanders so do this check on yourself.  
-Stop worrying about what will happen in the future and let go of the past ..

Lastly a piece of advise that dont rush into all of the above all at the same time you might give up on all very soon ..so start with one or two and make them a part of your routine slowly and gradually try others..and please stay away from too much medication. So If you're looking for some effective tips and home remedies for anxiety, just try these

Hope

DanaDenise
on 9/4/15 1:53 pm, edited 9/4/15 1:54 pm

Everyone has to do a psych. evaluation to do surgery.  I, too, have been diagnosed bi-polar, but that didn't delay my surgery at all. I did have to see the surgeon's psychiatrist even though I already had my own.  I only saw her once, and can see her if I'd like.  I haven't felt a need to see her.  I can say that with out a doubt that surgery has impacted my mood and not always for the better.  I have been a little manic, but any life change can do that to me.  My anxiety levels have heightened, and I have had a panic attack.  I haven't had a panic attack in years, so that has been scary. I have had to get my medication adjusted; I knew that pretty early on since this is something I've been learning to live with for 11 years. It started with the birth of my son, although I did suffer on a smaller scale prior to that.  I don't have PTSD, so I don't have any experience there. You should be able to find a surgeon to work with you, and I believe you should be honest about your history.  I was very honest, and it did not delay my surgery.

LadyBaltimore
on 8/31/15 10:02 am
RNY on 07/27/15

Hi TurtleLady88,

*hugs*

I have dealt with mental health issues before, during and after.  I was diagnosed with having chronic depression, anxiety, and episodes of dissociative amnesia.  With all of that said, my psychiatrist signed me off on the surgery, as he is aware that in large part, my disordered eating is a result of being psychologically and sexually abused growing up.  

He did not list the amnesia on my chart.  He did make sure that I understood the risks of surgery and the lifetime commitment to it. If I understand your post correctly, your surgeon won't work on anyone with a mental health issue?  All of my doctors know that I'm on meds for depression/anxiety (prozac, welbutrin, and valium), but that did not cause a problem.  There concern was that I had it under control, which I generally do.

I'm opting to stay on my medication, as I've tried homeopathic treatments and they don't work for me.  I do hope your new therapist can help you find a treatment that works for you, though.

I've been post-surgery for just over a month, and as a side, note, I'm seeing my dh's mental health problems clearer and clearer.  He has a history of anger/violence problems and shows all signs of narcissistic personality disorder.  Of course, he won't see a therapist or a marriage counselor, so my prescription for myself is to save up money and leave him as soon as fiscally possible.

/off topic

Anyway, I don't know how helpful this was, but I did want to respond.  *hugs*

Take care,

-LB

I've Come Too Far To Take Orders From A Piece of Bread.

"It is never too late to be what you might have been." - George Eliot

Surgery 7/27/15

44 lbs lost

wldwinds
on 8/27/15 9:47 pm

I am new to the WLS journey but not mental health issues. Mentally I've had a rough 5 years. I have depression, anxiety, panic attacks, OCD, PTSD and now profound grief.(my husband died 9 months ago) I hada my psych evaluation done and the psychiatrist works with my therapists. The WLC said I have to be 6 months stable before they would consider surgery. I was planning surgery in late November or early December.  I found out last week my therapist won't sign off, my psychiatric med manager won't and unless I lose 20 lbs prior to surgery and have my A1C in control the endocrinologist  my surgery will be put off. Our surgery center wants you to see a therapist before and after. I am looking into the affects of surgery on mental health.

Karen R.
on 8/15/15 5:29 am - Amelia, OH
Revision on 09/10/15
Topic: RE: Sooo...I am trying to make sure I have the best outcome with RNY.

Many thanks!

Karen

Ht: 5'3"/Pre-Band Weight:256/Revision to RNY 9/10/15-Weight: 219--GW: 115--CW 105

Hislady
on 8/14/15 9:39 pm - Vancouver, WA
Topic: RE: Sooo...I am trying to make sure I have the best outcome with RNY.

Many of the successful WLS people see a therapist on a regular basis during their weight loss journey. Some of the depression during weight loss is because of the hormones that are released into your system as you lose the weight. Hormones are stored in your fat and when you lose that they move out into your system and cause depression but it usually goes away or lessens as the weight loss slows.

A good person to ask about a therapist is your surgeons office. Your body and mind go thru soooo many changes during weight loss that it is good to have one on board every step of the way!

Karen R.
on 8/4/15 10:32 am - Amelia, OH
Revision on 09/10/15
Topic: Sooo...I am trying to make sure I have the best outcome with RNY.

I have been reading a lot (both here and online) about how WLS causes increased problems with depression. My PCP currently prescribes my antidepressants. Would it be helpful to see a therapist pre-op? I passed my mental health evaluation for surgery; if so how do I go about finding a therapist that is familiar with the effects of WLS? Most have a general list of things they see patients for. Suggestions please.

Karen

Ht: 5'3"/Pre-Band Weight:256/Revision to RNY 9/10/15-Weight: 219--GW: 115--CW 105

Adel60610
on 8/3/15 6:44 pm
Topic: alchocol problem 2 years after bypass

I am the spouse of the person who had gastric bypass 2 years ago. never had a problem with alcohol. now it is a big problem, due to absence of ferments destroying alcohol in the body. he doesn't admit ,but we all concerned about it. his mother, father brother and friends are willing to stage an intervention. just want to make sure that everybody knows the danger of addicting to alcohol, on a second year. look on internet, there is  a lot of articles there about this issue. If I only knew, if anybody ever told me about it.I never saw its coming. we had happy marriage for 10 years. I don't recognize him anymore. he became distant and cold to all people who tells him about it. 2 glasses and he is belligerent.

be aware please.

MaronitaMay
on 7/14/15 12:13 am
Topic: RE: Can anyone suggest an antidepressant/anti-anxiety medication that does not cause weight gain.

I take Lamictal (technically an anti-seizure medication that has been approved for Bipolar Disorder).  I was originally put on it for my seizure disorder but when I no longer needed it for my seizure disorder I got my neurologist to keep me on it for my depression.  This medication works great for my mood.  I took this medication before surgery and did not gain weight and I am still on it 3 1/2 years after surgery albeit greatly reduced level and still have not gained anything.  I also take Effexor which in my own experience does not put on weight.  Make sure they do not put you on the extended release version as after surgery you can not take extended-release nor slow-release.

Most Active
Recent Topics
For your education and support
Cathy W. · 2 replies · 785 views
Wellbutrin
merlin300 · 2 replies · 769 views
Best Healthcare Center
jungisstephens · 0 replies · 991 views
What triggers your anxiety
danmarc · 2 replies · 1700 views