Recent Posts

RHONDA FROM KY
on 8/10/10 4:11 am - ALEXANDRIA, KY
Topic: RE: ~SPIRITUAL NOT RELIGIOUS~ A DAY AT A TIME
Thank you for your response.  :)

It is good to have an end to journey towards; but it is the journey that matters in the end.  ~Ursula K. LeGuin

Elsa2569
on 8/10/10 1:32 am
Topic: RE: Why we became overweight in the first place
I am so relieved that this topic has been addressed. Not to lump people into the same category but generally people overeat because they want the comfort that eating gives them. Thank you for opening up in this forum. There really shoud be more open and honest people like yourselves as it is people like you who make these forums a success. It's not easy facing up to your demons but it's worth it in the end
Elsa2569
on 8/9/10 9:38 pm
Topic: RE: ~SPIRITUAL NOT RELIGIOUS~ A DAY AT A TIME
Nicely written! So many people underestimate the power of mental though and how much it can motivate us to do good things, right things by us and everything else. Although I am not a religious person I do believe that everyone should have faith in something - whether it's family, friends, loved ones or God. If you have that faith and know that in your heart they are not trying to wrong you as well as having confidence in yourself then there will be no spiritual illness :)
RHONDA FROM KY
on 8/5/10 9:56 pm - ALEXANDRIA, KY
Topic: ~SPIRITUAL NOT RELIGIOUS~ A DAY AT A TIME

08/06 REFLECTION FOR THE DAY

Sometimes through bitter experience and painful lessons, we learn in our fellowship with others in The Program that resentment is our member one enemy.  It destroys more of us than anything else.  From resentment stem all forms of spiritual disease, for we've been not only mentally and physically ill, but spiritually ill as well.  As we recover and as our spiritual illness is remedied, we become well physically and mentally.  AM I AWARE THAT FEW THINGS ARE MORE BITTER THAN TO FEEL BITTER?  DO I SEE THAT MY VENOM IS MORE POISONOUS TO ME THAN TO MY VICTIM?

TODAY I PRAY

I ask for help in removing the pile of resentments I have collected.  May I learn that resentments are play-actors, too; they may be fears -- of losing a job, a love, an opportunity; they may be hurts or guilty feelings.  May I know that God is my healer.  May I admit my need.

TODAY I WILL REMEMBER

Resentments are rubbish; haul them away.

It is good to have an end to journey towards; but it is the journey that matters in the end.  ~Ursula K. LeGuin

RHONDA FROM KY
on 8/3/10 9:40 pm - ALEXANDRIA, KY

08/04 REFLECTION FOR THE DAY
One of the best ways to get out of the self-pity trap is to do some "instant bookkeeping."  For every entry of misery on the debit side of our ledger, we can surely find a blessing to mark on the credit side:  the health we enjoy, the illnesses we don't have, the friends who love us and who allow us to love them, a clean and sober 24 hours, a good day's work.  If we but try, we can easily list a whole string of credits that will far outweigh the debit entries which cause self-pity.  IS MY EMOTIONAL BALANCE ON THE CREDIT SIDE TODAY?

TODAY I PRAY
May I learn to sort out my debits and credits, and add it all up.  May I list my several blessings on the credit side.  May my ledger show me, when all is totaled, a fat fund of good things to draw on.

TODAY I WILL REMEMBER
I have blessings in my savings.

RHONDA FROM KY
on 8/2/10 9:49 pm - ALEXANDRIA, KY

08/03 REFLECTION FOR THE DAY
The Twelve Steps were designed specifically for people like us -- as a short cut to God.  The Steps are very much like strong medicine which can heal us of the sickness of despair, frustration and self-pity.  Yet we're sometimes unwilling to use The Steps.  Why?  Perhaps because we have a deep-down desire for martyrdom.  Consciously and intellectually, we think we want help; on a gut level, though, some hidden sense of guilt makes us crave punishment more than relief from our ills.  CAN I TRY TO BE CHEERFUL WHEN EVERYTHING SEEMS TO BE LEADING ME TO DESPAIR?  DO I REALIZE THAT DESPAIR IS VERY OFTEN A MASK FOR SELF-PITY?

TODAY I PRAY
May I pull out the secret guilt inside that makes me want to punish myself.  May I probe my despair and discover whether it is really an imposter -- self-pity with a mask on.  Now that I know that the Twelve Steps can bring relief, may I please use them instead of wallowing in my discomforts.

TODAY I WILL REMEMBER
The Twelve Steps are God's stairway.

RHONDA FROM KY
on 8/1/10 4:39 am - ALEXANDRIA, KY
08/01 REFLECTION FOR THE DAY
Self-pity is one of the most miserable and consuming defects I know.  Because of its interminable demands for attention and sympathy, my self-pity cuts off my communication with others, especially communication with my Higher Power.  When I look at it that way, I realize that self-pity limits my spiritual progress.  It's also a very real form of martydom, which is a luxury I simply can't afford.  The remedy, I've been taught, is to have a hard look at myself and a still harder one at The Program's Twelve Steps to recovery.  DO I ASK MY HIGHER POWER TO RELIEVE ME OF THE BONDAGE OF SELF?

TODAY I PRAY
May I know from observation that self pitiers get almost no pity from anyone else.  Nobody -- not even God -- can fill their outsized demands for sympathy.  May I recognize my own unsavory feeling of self-pity when it creeps in to rob me of my serenity.  May God keep me wary of its sneakiness.

TODAY I WILL REMEMBER
My captor is my self.

Patricia R.
on 7/31/10 12:09 pm - Perry, MI
You are so sweet to say those things.  I learned to share from my gut in AA and OA starting in 1989.  I also began psychotherapy back then as well.  Tons of learning from personal experience, which is the best teacher.
Seek always to do some good, somewhere. Every man has to seek in his own way to realize his true worth. You must give some time to your fellow man. For remember, you don't live in a world all your own. Your brothers are here too.
Albert Schweitzer

lostin2010
on 7/31/10 10:57 am
Trish, you always have the gift of putting things in perspective so eloquently.  I wanted to say pretty much the same thing...but you do it so much better!  Thank you for always posting...I look forward to your postings and Rhondas' also.  Peace to you, love Debra 
RHONDA FROM KY
on 7/29/10 10:03 pm - ALEXANDRIA, KY

07/30 REFLECTION FOR THE DAY
When we first come to The Program, the most common variety of self-pity begins:  "Poor me!  Why can't I (fill in your own addiction) like everybody else?  Why me?"  Such bemoaning, if allowed to persist, is a surefire invitation for a long walk off a short pier -- right back to the mess we were in before we came to The Program.  When we stick around The Program for a while, we discover that it's not just "me" at all; we become involved with people, from all walks of life, who are in exactly the same boat.  AM I LOSING INTEREST IN MY COMFORTABLY FAMILIAR "PITY POT?"

TODAY I PRAY
When self-pity has me droopy and inert, may I look up, look around and perk up.  Self-pity, God wills, vanishes in the light of other people's shared troubles.  May I always wish for friends honest enough to confront me if they see me digging my way back down into my old pity pit.

TODAY I WILL REMEMBER
Turn self-involvement into involvement.

Most Active
Recent Topics
For your education and support
Cathy W. · 2 replies · 788 views
Wellbutrin
merlin300 · 2 replies · 772 views
Best Healthcare Center
jungisstephens · 0 replies · 996 views
What triggers your anxiety
danmarc · 2 replies · 1704 views