Recent Posts

charlotte180
on 10/25/10 12:21 pm - Phoenix, AZ
Topic: RE: Bad News....
 Is this program so restrictive because of your insurance company, or is it the surgeon? Have you talked to anyone else getting WLS from your surgeon?  
charlotte180
on 10/25/10 12:18 pm - Phoenix, AZ
Topic: RE: I've a confession..
 I think it's only natural to feel apprehension - for anyone who has had alcoholism, even if they're the best example of recovery.  Personally, it would concern me more if it didn't even occur to you to be nervous about it. To me, it means that your recovery is important to you and that you are vigilant about keeping your sobriety.  

Good for you! And let us know how the trip went :)

Jess1982
on 10/22/10 8:40 am
Topic: Bad News....
 I've been in my program for 7 months now and I feel like I will never be "good enough" to get "approved" by the bariatric team. I feel like they want me to live and eat EXACLTY like I will after surgery... but in reality if I could do all those things WHY would I be in this situation and having surgery?!?!? I have been logging food and exercise for months... now they are suggesting counseling... which is great... I WANT to do that on my own... I am starting to go to OA also... but doesn't EVERYONE who is having the surgery have some type of eating disorder? How did we get here?? I have been trying to be positive... Talked to a good friend and advised that I pray... I will continue to pray and know that he has a plan and I have to know that I will have the surgery when "he" knows I'm ready and my time... It's just harder the longer it drags on... Thanks for listening...

RHONDA FROM KY
on 10/20/10 2:16 am - ALEXANDRIA, KY
Topic: ~SPIRITUAL NOT RELIGIOUS~ A DAY AT A TIME
10/20 REFLECTION FOR THE DAY
Before I admitted my powerlessness over alcohol and other chemicals, I had as much self-worth as a "peeled zero."  I came into The Program as a nobody who desperately wanted to be a somebody.  In retrospect, my self-esteem was shredded, seemingly beyond repair.  Gradually, The Program has enabled me to achieve an ever-stronger sense of self-worth.  I've come to accept myself, realizing that I'm not so bad as I had always supposed myself to be.  AM I LEARNING THAT MY SELF-WORTH IS NOT DEPENDENT ON THE APPROVAL OF OTHERS, BUT INSTEAD IS TRULY AN "INSIDE JOB"?

TODAY I PRAY
When I am feeling down and worthless, may my Higher Power and my friends in the group help me see that, although I was "fallen," I was not "cast down."  However sick I might have been in my worst days, with all the self-esteem of an earth worm, may I know that I still had the power of choice.  And I chose to do something about myself.  May that good choice be the basis for my reactivated self-worth.

TODAY I WILL REMEMBER
I will not kick myself when I'm down.

It is good to have an end to journey towards; but it is the journey that matters in the end.  ~Ursula K. LeGuin

Catnip
on 10/17/10 1:26 am - Ottawa, Canada
Topic: daily devotional and other annoying pump you up posts
daily devotional and other pump you up posts

Hi guys,

In a post that I saw on here recently (but can't find now) someone mentioned that some of the daily posts are annoying and make it hard to find the real posts that discuss Mental health issues.

While I understand that a few might find it helpful and that I am sure the poster finds it helpful to them, I too find these posts rather annoying, and detract from the board. In my mind these posts are akin to forum spam. 

My solution has been to block those posters, they *might* say something of use in a thread here, but by blocking them I can easily see the posts where people want to talk about real issues.

I am hoping that if people see my post, and decide to block the daily posters that maybe we can use this board more often and get some real discussion here.

I hope everyone is doing well,

Catnip

Citrate or Bust (a few bones) !
catnip.gif picture by catnipcook

Stefanie P.
on 10/16/10 9:09 am - Los Angeles, CA
Topic: RE: Gastric Bypass Revision
Dan,
I posted this on your thread on the DS board, and I'm copying it here as well.  I'm not looking to flame you, or invite a pile-on, but I'm truly and deeply concerned about you.

Stefanie

[Copied from DS forum]

Dan,
I wasn't planning to add to all the other voices encouraging caution.  I figured there were enough already.
But, I read your post on another board, saying that this is a revision, and not a virgin DS.  So I have to say something.
A revision, especially from an RNY, is an extremely complex surgery.  You don't just need an experienced DS surgeon - you need a highly experienced DS revision surgeon, and there are only a few of these.  Keshishian and Rabkin in CA are two of them.
Please understand and trust that no one on this board is trying to be critical of you - we're concerned about your life and your health!  Revisions are high-risk, even with the best surgeons.  To go to anyone else for a revision is truly putting yourself at risk for serious and possibly life-threatening, complications.  Those of us who have been on this board for several years have seen it happen too many times.  That's a knowledge-base and perspective that no newcomer could have.
I understand how excited you are, and it would be very hard to put things on hold a week before surgery.  But that's what we're urging/begging you to do, for your own sake!  You can always have surgery later, but once you've had it, there's no going back.
So I pray that you will listen to the many voices of concern here, and reconsider your plans.
STEFANIE    Totally lovin' my DS!!
HW 336/ SW 326/ CW 147/ GW 160   13 lbs. below goal!

beemerbeeper
on 10/16/10 7:25 am - AL
Are you seeing the replies that people are kind enough to write to you? I know a lot of us responded on another thread you started on the DS forum.

Kindly let us know if you see the posts we write to you.

Dina McBride
on 10/16/10 12:55 am - Portland, OR
Hey Dan,

I'm Dina - had my DS 8.5 years ago.  My husband had his DS 6.5 years ago.  We have a son who had a Sleeve Gastrectomy 3.5 years ago.  Totally get where you're coming from.

So - have you had the revision yet?

If so - do you know what the surgeon did?  I.e., did they take down your gastric bypass and convert you to a TRUE DS?  Or do you have a hybrid?

Blessings,

dina
Open BPD/DS July 2, 2002
Revision:  Lap Re-Sleeve November 10, 2008
Dr. Aniceto Baltasar, Alcoy, Spain
www.bodybybaltasar.wordpress.com
Read my DS Blog:  http://livingthedslife.wordpress.com/
Catnip
on 10/15/10 12:38 pm - Ottawa, Canada
Topic: RE: Completely cured my anxiety, but now I have another problem!!
O.K.

You need to talk to your doctor, explain that you want to get off the xanx and why.

I bet they will have you slowly tapper off the xanx so you don't  have as many withdrawal syptoms.
They might even put you on another drug that is easier to withdrawal from and then tapper off the xanax  then tapper off the second drug.  Either way you shuld not be changing the level of your xanax with out taking to your doctor.

Best of luck,

Catnip

Catnip
on 10/15/10 11:50 am - Ottawa, Canada
Ummm,, not matter what surgery you have if your not willing to make MAJOR changes to your eating plans then you aren't going to succeed. Even with the DS you have to make changes, like cutting out the carbs and increasing your protein.

I want to make sure you are aware of the supplementation requirements that are required with the DS. IF you can't change your diet then how are you going to mange to take vitamins 6 times a day?

You will be taking calcium 4 to 5 times a day. iron , separate for the calcium at least once a day, Vit D, Vit A, Multi vitamins, etc.

Have you talked to a nuturionist about this?  Maybe you need to work at your RNY, before getting another surgery?

Catnip

Most Active
Recent Topics
For your education and support
Cathy W. · 2 replies · 788 views
Wellbutrin
merlin300 · 2 replies · 771 views
Best Healthcare Center
jungisstephens · 0 replies · 995 views
What triggers your anxiety