Recent Posts

IowaTeacher
on 11/5/10 9:15 pm
Topic: Light therapy---SAD Light

I just orderd a SAD light/light therapy box. Anyone have experience using one?
Nancy

339/161/154
sw/cw/gw

sjbob
on 11/3/10 6:48 pm - Willingboro, NJ
Topic: RE: Looking for a therapist in Northern NJ (Bergen County)
I suggest contacting your ins co.  I had that problem in South Jersey (Burlington County) and contacted my ins.  They gave me a list of covered therapists ( not addiction counselors) and I just called going down the list.  I eventually found someone but ended up not going because of her location.  

You may want to contact an addiction counseling center or other therapy hosp.  I know we have one in Westampton NJ and there may be some in Northern NJ.  Of course, your problem may be with the sheer volume of potential cournselors to look at.

Another possible resource may be an Overeaters Anonymous group.  It doesn't work for me and I don't believe in 12 step programs ( I gained 300 lbs while going to OA but that's because I wasn't having manic-depression treated).  I found out about some addiction counselors from word of mouth at the meetings.  I don't know how people there would treat someone going for WLS, but that's their problem and not yours.

In brief, you are on your own, but my suggestions may aid with your search.
Brenda C.
on 10/30/10 5:59 am
Topic: RE: I just realized I am feeling blue...
Hello Nette!

Well thanks, I am one of those people who tries to face my fears, and if it helps at least one person, writing about my experiences & thoughts makes it worth it.

All people suffer from grief at one point in their lives, and those of us who are ready (or getting ready) to take surgical or non-surgical steps to face their issues with obesity sometimes benefit from conversation -- the Internet Blogging seems to help me.

Being able to live in your own skin is paramount - whether you choose to lose the excess weight, or live with it.  For me, I am finally to the point that the weight is making me physically uncomfortable, and having looked inward, I am finally ready.  Being emotionally ready is just as improtant as being physically ready.  seeing some of my friends not ready, I have been able to learn from their experiences.

Sure, I have issues I still need therapy for, but I can say that I am more ready for surgical intervention than I ever was.  Dealing with emotional eating, dulling the senses with food, is something thin & obese alike need to learn to work through - but those of us are obese really need to get to the root of this problem.  Like any other choice of "drug," food can be abused.  The difficult thing: WE ALL NEED FOOD TO SURVIVE, so it isn't just a matter of quitting "cold turkey" (Ooooo, what a metaphor!)

Can you be obese & healthy?  Many can.  Can you be thin & unhealthy?  Many can.  It is a balancing act - exercise, nutrition, emotional awareness --- this is my goal.  I can live with being in a BMI that calls me Overweight, but having a BMI of a Super Morbid Obese person is just what I cannot physically carry around.

May you find a path that works for you!!!  I just hope I can get on the path, and journey healthfully to the end of my days!

Brenda  : )~
nette0126
on 10/29/10 1:33 am
Topic: RE: I just realized I am feeling blue...
Dear Brenda,

I know your original post was many weeks ago but I am looking at this forum (mental health) because I needed some advice on a therapist but I just wanted to say that your words and situation have moved me.  You are an inspiration and very brave to put your thoughts out there!  Thank you for sharing your thoughts becuase they have helped me.  I grieved for a long time about many things and now I realize that I can not grive anymore; we are blessed with life and I am going to make the most of it. 

I hope all goes well with your surgery!!

nette0126
on 10/29/10 1:24 am
Topic: Looking for a therapist in Northern NJ (Bergen County)

Hello Everyone!

I am looking for a therapist in Northern NJ (Bergen County).  I would prefer someone who specializes in eating disorders such as binge eating.  I am a 39 year old female, approved for gastric bypass surgery (no date scheduled yet) but I know that in order to be successful I will need help in coping with my stressors in a different way not related to food and using food as a source of relaxation and comfort.    Any suggestions on therapists and/or support groups would be appreciated.

Thank you!!!!

sethliv1996
on 10/28/10 5:14 pm
Topic: RE: Hello and need info on depression/anxiety
 I've battled depression ever since I had my twins, almost 11 years ago. I thought with the weight loss, the anxiety and depressive episodes would go away. They did for about a year, then wammo! They smacked me upside the head again and I had a melt down. I found out I'm bipolar type 2 and have been on meds for a few months now. I'm doing much better, and have come to realize that ups and downs are normal and you deal with them the best you can. I'm currently going through a divorce and trying to stay positive. I wish you much luck and hope you start to feel better!
Julie W.
on 10/27/10 12:32 am - Austin, TX
REALIZE Band on 11/09/10 with
Topic: RE: Completely cured my anxiety, but now I have another problem!!
yes doing it alone is very dangerous, think i heard it is one of the ones when u withdraw it can be deadly. i know when i was addicted to ambien , i didnt want to tell my doctor so i could keep taking them.  Dr supervised is the way to go. It is doable, You can do it. you are worth it.

CeciliaM
on 10/26/10 8:37 am - Newark, DE
Topic: RE: have you ever
thank you. . .
CeciliaM
10cm band
Shaesnana
on 10/26/10 7:02 am - Davenport, FL
Topic: RE: have you ever
Cecelia,
I am sorry you are feeling so poorly.  Sounds like it's awful hard right now for you to find any positive in your life.  Life can really s**k sometimes.  For all the reasons you state that you can't go to a support meeting are the exact reasons why you need the support!!   I DO hear you, honestly, I do.   As rotten as you feel you need to find something, anything, to be grateful for and focus on that.   I know you probably know that and don't even want to hear it but you need to fight back and only you can do that for you.  Sometimes others just feel so helpless to help a person so down.  I hear you when you say that your misery goes in the door before you do.   All you can do is be honest.  Someone will listen to you and maybe be able to help.

Just know that you are not alone.  I wish you the best and I hope life gets better for you real soon.
CeciliaM
on 10/26/10 12:41 am - Newark, DE
Topic: have you ever

been ashamed to go the a support group mtg since
anything you may say will seem like you are whining
people will cringe when you speak
it seems like it is ALL negative coming out of your mouth

people dont associate w you since the negative energy  around me enters the room before me

i stopped going to support mtgs since

i am unemployed
am having stomach issues probably related to stress
i dont exercise
i dont belong to a gym
i dont eat well since i dont have the money (eating healthy is not cheap)

no health ins and being turned down or priced out for all possible avenues suggested
fearful of posting to the internet since i am lkng for work
it was on an application "What networks / networking sites do you belong to?"
not
sure what to do w myself since almost everything i try to strategize to do doesnt work.
trying to stay positive and focus BUT

didnt mean to rain your your parade too but wanted to voice my mind

thanks for reading

CeciliaM
10cm band
Most Active
Recent Topics
For your education and support
Cathy W. · 2 replies · 788 views
Wellbutrin
merlin300 · 2 replies · 771 views
Best Healthcare Center