Recent Posts

(deactivated member)
on 5/11/16 9:56 am
ReShape on 10/30/16
Topic: RE: alchocol problem 2 years after bypass

God I'm really sorry to hear this. I have know a couple of other who have suffered "transfer addictions". It basically boils down to among other things we were addicted to food and for some it's only food. The problem is that whatever issue drove us to that "addiction" is still with us even though we've lost the weight. 

It's great that we have to go through the Psych evaluation prior to the surgery to make sure were ready to make the commitment to the new lifestyle changes that will be with us for life. I just wish while we were there they would spend a little more time getting to the root of the issue(s) that led us to the low point in our life. Continued help some some not all would be a great plus and a chance to truly capture the happy new life we so very much want and seek when we start this whole process.

I feel for you and wish you the very best of luck. Please feel free to ask all of us here for advice or if you just want to sound off. Alcoholism is a serious issue and devastates lives and families. 

God bless you folks and keep you in his prayers! Rich

Steph Meat Hag
on 4/13/16 7:09 pm - Dallas , TX
VSG on 03/14/16 with
Topic: RE: Meds and Metabolism

I'm 4 weeks out and have stopped my BP meds.  I also have stopped needing to take my Ambien as well. I do still take a Xanax at night to relax my thoughts and I do still take another anxiety drug.  I'm really not certain I'll ever stop needing those because of weightless because my anxiety has nothing to do with it.  However I did use being very tired after WLS as a way to free myself from the 6 years on Ambien!  I am very grateful to just lay down like a normal person and sleep.  My BP meds both Cozar and a water pill have been unnecessary due to weight loss and or other reasons.  I did resume my water pill as I started holding fluids like I was a camel.  That was a personal choice.

As far as mood and pre-op just do a search and you will see a lot of post about anger and mood issues.  It's mostly due to carb crashing.  On day two I had a migraine that toped my personal charts.  I staid home from work with the covers over my head hurting.  I do think that was brought on by lack of carbs.  Our bodies love sugar and want it, they are willing to do whatever is needed to get them.  So the pre-op sucks but really once your on day 4 you won't care cause your issues will stop.

Age:40|Height: 5'9"|Lap Band 2/11/08 |Revision VSG 3/14/16

The cake is a lie, but Starbucks is not.

https://fivedaymeattest.com

Jenb1202
on 4/13/16 12:25 pm
Topic: Meds and Metabolism

I'm 44 yrs old and have been on disability since 2000 for my depression (and debated bipolar II).  I have run the gammut of meds - to the point where the font almost requires a magnifier so I can keep it to one page.  My therapist has spoken about how the meds slow down my metabolism, making weight loss slower than for those who are not on psych meds.  Have any of you found this to be true?  Also have you found a change in your mood from the start (pre-op liquids) to wherever you are now?  Have you been able to lower doses of meds, or maybe even stop taking them altogether?

Thanks!

Since I can't seem to create a ticker, I'll say:

HW 326; CW 285; GW ?; VGS 4/26/16

tattitude
on 1/11/16 7:25 pm
Topic: RE: Heard of this drug?

Yes, I was put on Latuda but I don't have Bi-polar depression, just Major Depressive Disorder.  My PCP changed it because she heard that some people were having success with it and it is supposed to not cause weight gain.  I started on half dose for the first week then increased to 80 mg dose daily.   I took this for approximately 2.5 months.  

I found it to not only be ineffective but I began having serious side effects from it which the manufacturer's warning states can be permanent.  I began having involuntary muscle movements, especially of my feet and legs, I could not control them and couldn't make them stop for more than a few seconds.  

Before you start ANY new drug, do yourself a favor and do a simple Google search for information about it.  Read testimonials (with an open mind and a grain of salt) from others who have used it.  See if there have been any major complaints, you can also go to the website for the FDA and research for any known issues with this drug.  Also, go to the manufacturer's website and read the Patient Information section.  You should not make any decision like this when you are uninformed.  This and ALL medications - even some available over the counter - have side effects.  You have to educate yourself and then decide whether the potential benefits outweigh the possible side effects.  Ask the doctor wanting to prescribe this for you if he has other patients taking it and what has been the outcome.  If you still are unsure about it and can afford to do so, get a second opinion.  You have to take charge of your own health care, we cannot rely on medical providers to necessarily do that for us any more.  The present health care system is simply not set up to do that like it used to be.  I am a retired RN who worked in mental health for 32 years as well as a mental health patient.  

ipray
on 12/12/15 12:13 pm
VSG on 11/06/14
Topic: Slow Or Extended Release Medications?

Several recent posts have mentioned that you shouldn't use slow or extended release medications if you have had RNY.  Does this apply if you have a Vertical Sleeve?  Also, does this apply to all medications or just depression/add meds?  Thank you!

Just Ducky - The
Meditative Hag

on 11/23/15 5:05 pm - Belleville, IL
Topic: What Psychiatric Meds for you?

I notice a lot of people ask what might work for them or what other folks have tried.  I have been on Psymeds since probably 1980 and was put on everything from Thorazine to topamax.

Recently my Psychiatrist wanted to take me off Wellbutrin (which had been a lifesaver for 15 years) and try me on Effexor. That was a disaster as all I wanted to do was sleep ll day. Then he tried me on Fetzmia which was LITERALLY "Hell in  bottle" and caused seizures from the first few days, It made my Hepatic Encephalitis worse and I became violent and amnesiac, I was almost committed as I became so "Not myself" and violent.

I went back to the wellbutrin. (Right now I am on Wellbutrin, Lorazapam as needed, and trazodone to help me sleep. My point is work with your doctor and yourself. You have to decide "quality of life" as well as something that helps you. (I have PTSD, Major Depression, ADD and General Anxiety Disorder as well as terminal liver disease) Right now my life is all about "Quality of living" and what can help me feel better.

I wish you the best of mental health, it's a scary and horrible disease.

Warmly,

Jackie

Just Ducky - The
Meditative Hag

on 11/23/15 4:40 pm - Belleville, IL
Topic: RE: Can anyone suggest an antidepressant/anti-anxiety medication that does not cause weight gain.

I've been on Wellbutrin for nearly 12 years and it has been a lifesaver both BEFORE and after RNY, No weight gain. I also have Lorazapam (Ativan) as needed for when I am having a panic PTSD attack. Neither have caused any weight gain for me. I also have been given Trazadone at night for pain or anxiety (PRN) The thing with psychiatric meds is that what works for me might be a disaster for you and vice versa. You have to just keep working with your PDoc and find out what works for you.  Also remember if you have had RNY that you cannot take Long Term or meds that are extended release.

Warmly,

Jackie

hl1524
on 10/21/15 12:17 pm - Austin, TX
Topic: RE: alchocol problem 2 years after bypass

I'm sorry you are going through this. Thank you for posting. My surgical center warned me not to even have a drink for the first 18 months after surgery. Alcohol made me sick prior to weight loss surgery (probably due to the huge issues I had with my blood sugars) so it was a huge deterrent. After having gastric bypass I can see how one could easily become an alcoholic. It doesn't take very much at all for me to be drunk. I try to limit any alcohol that I partake in to special occasions. I think for a lot of people it is trading an addition for food, for something else. I see a lot of people posting on the general forums about Cross Addiction. I really hope your husband gets the help that he needs.

RNY 8/27/2014

hl1524
on 10/21/15 11:52 am - Austin, TX
Topic: RE: Sooo...I am trying to make sure I have the best outcome with RNY.

I don't think your therapist would have to be completely familiar with effects of WLS but perhaps understand addiction and/or eating disorders. I can't recommend therapy enough to people who want to have WLS.

I felt like I had a good grip on why I did the things that I did. I felt like I had a good support system. I spent a number of years learing nutrition and eating the right way. The truth of the matter is once I had wls the most common coping mechanism I had of eating food to make myself feel better was taken away. I have had a hard time finding a therapist. It's good to start now especially if your insurance covers the visits. I have found people in the mental healthcare industry are extremely booked, or not accepting new patients.

RNY 8/27/2014

(deactivated member)
on 10/20/15 11:39 pm - nyork, AK
Topic: RE: Feeling Depressed

Depression can be treated with better nutrition. Studies have shown that such treatment not only has a beneficial effect on the person's physical health, but also a favorable effect on the person's mental and emotional health.

This nutritional treatment includes modification of diet, vitamins and minerals, and the addition of some amino acid supplements.

The amino acid supplements are essential elements that are precursors to neurotransmitters. The amino acids D, L-pheylalanine and L-tyrosine are a viable alternative to antidepressant drugs.

A deficiency in vitamins and minerals in the body can also cause depression. If this condition is corrected, depression owing to this cause can be alleviated.

Even if you are not sure if you lack vitamins and minerals, supplementing your diet with them will often improve symptoms related to depression and will contribute to better overall health.

Some Very Useful Herbs

The herb St. John's Wort (Hypericum perforatum) in an extracted standardized form is being used in Germany and other European countries to treat depression in its mild and moderate forms.

It is also known to alleviate anxiety and sleep disorders.

This herb claims many benefits - among them are its anti-depressive and antiviral properties.

The Ginkgo (Ginkgo Biloba) extract, while not a primary treatment for major cases of depression, is an excellent supplement to any depression-related syndrome.

Studies are beginning to show that Ginkgo can be used to treat some forms of depression that are not responsive to antidepressant agents.

In cases of resistant depression, Ginkgo Biloba is beginning to appear attractive to the medical world. So If you're looking for some effective home remedies for depression, just use these.

Cut Back on Those Soft Drinks

Many practitioners advocate a nutrition oriented approach to treating depression.

They believe that the answer to the depression question can be found in the diet of a person. Studies show that a decrease in the intake of sugars and refined carbohydrates can produce relief from symptoms of depression.

This diet will entail cutting out sugary drinks, pasta, white bread, and other processed foods.

For your carbohydrate needs, it would be better to stick to grains, whole wheat, and other natural plant based carbohydrates.

Also, cutting down on these kinds of food can do wonders for one's overall health.

This treatment is recommended for those who feel depressed and languid during the late hours of the morning and the afternoon.

For these people, eating sugary foods will induce a temporary feeling of alleviation from depression.

However, this is only for a few minutes, and the body automatically reverts to languid depression.

Depression is one serious disorder that should not be taken for granted. Some people will equate depression with other natural feelings such as anger, happiness, and sadness.

Most Active
Recent Topics
For your education and support
Cathy W. · 2 replies · 785 views
Wellbutrin
merlin300 · 2 replies · 769 views
Best Healthcare Center
jungisstephens · 0 replies · 991 views
What triggers your anxiety
danmarc · 2 replies · 1700 views