Recent Posts

macca
on 12/3/10 8:26 am
Topic: RE: Bad News....

I am currently in my second year of this merry-go- round. I am a 58 year old single woman and have problems with very high cholesteral, high blood pressure and severe sleep apnea.  

I have had and used a CPAP for 3 years now, and was STILL required to have an additional sleep study,(which makes a total of FIVE at $5000 each+$500 to have it READ) I've had the upper GI, Chest X-ray (twice)two sets of breathing tests, and four additional visits with a pulmonologist, a calcium score, a nuclear stress test, venus dopplar ultrasound, bone density test, my gen practitioner has written TWO letters of reccomendation and I have completed the 6 months of a medically supervised diet with the GP filling out paperwork for each month. I also attended the ONE mandantory in house support group meeting. I had an additional one on one meeting with the in house nutritionist, and three visits to a cardiologist for clearance from HIM.

The psyche evaluation is also required to be in-house (University of Pennsylvania) and required a LIFETIME diet history. I was a fat kid with fat parents and 8 younger fat siblings.... as you can imagine...the 45 minute questioniare took me about 4 hours to complete.  I mean for GAWD'S sake.... I"M 58!!!!!

Now they have decided that I will need AT LEAST six sessions of Psychotherapy because the 30 year old who evaluated me feels I need to learn additional coping skills(i guess because I neither drink or smoke and have never experimented with drugs). They would also like me to attend their in-house medically supervised diet program and volunteer to report to them for the next 5 years after all is done.

Honestly.... I feel like I am about to explode. each one of these visits requires a full day of my time and several train and bus rides into thecity. I will admit that I DO have problems with young girls in $2000 pumps twirling their hair and telling me that they "just want what's best " for me. Like Um, you know .... taking a hot bubble bath with scented candles? 

The problem is that while I have very little income, I have VERY good health insurance, and I really feel that HUP is milking it to death round out their budget deficit.

What I wonder is how many of the folks who are treated in this way are single women? I don't recall any of the guys being required to undergo all this additional bulls**t. Both of my friendswho have had the surgery started the process long after I did, and are both now 3-4 months out and doing well.  Both of them however, are married.

katmom_02
on 12/3/10 6:09 am - Orange Park, FL
RNY on 02/20/13
Topic: RE: devastated

Why would you not care about the weight loss anymore?? Did you do this for yourself, or for him? I understand that you are going through the grieving process right now...but don't you DARE let that jerk dictate the rest of your life! You are too good for that, and he is obviously a POS that is undeserving of your love OR heartbreak. You just live your life for YOU and if you have children for THEM as well. You take that jerk for everything he is worth...because you OBVIOUSLY deserve it...and remember that Kharma is a you-know-what!! Take comfort it the fact that he will die a lonely (broke) old man

RHONDA FROM KY
on 12/3/10 5:24 am - ALEXANDRIA, KY
Topic: RE: Grateful Post..

Grateful that you found your way back my friend

It is good to have an end to journey towards; but it is the journey that matters in the end.  ~Ursula K. LeGuin

kalifreya
on 12/1/10 11:34 am - Salisbury, MD
Topic: devastated
 Im 3 months post op. I have lost 55 lbs and have felt great. My husband just walked out on us. He found another woman (much slimmer) I'm devastated. I don't even care about the weight loss anymore. I dont know what to do now.....
Robinky
on 12/1/10 9:42 am - Owensboro, KY
Topic: Bipolar
 I was just wondering if anyone had been diagnosed with Bipolar prior to the surgery and how they got the surgeon to still do the surgery.
vwilliams
on 11/23/10 3:51 am
Topic: RE: struggling with old behaviors

I dont have any tips as I just wanted to let you know I can sympathize. I do the exact same thing, evening/night time snacking is my HUGE probelem. I eat fine during the day, B, L, and sometimes a snack but after 4pm its on. Cookies, cup cakes, candy bars, ice cream, choc anything.... I really dont have a food problem, I dont eat fast food or fried food but I eat entirely way too much junk. I drink about 6-8 cups of coffee every morning. Another problem is smoking, maybe thats why I do not eat much during the day because I am at work and then at home I have two small children I dont smoke in the evening when I am home with them.

If you find a way to get past this or get any good tips send them my way. I looked into revision but the ultimate problem is in my head which I know I need to work on.

Good Luck you are not alone!

(deactivated member)
on 11/21/10 12:52 am
Topic: RE: Am I the only one depressed???
Lyn,  I too suffer from depression and know exacting where you are coming from with the thought of mourning.  We have to think postive tho about all the things we are going to be able to have, all the healthy yummy foods, the sugar free deserts.  Someone posted using a greek yogurt with a  little sugar free instant cheesecake pudding mix, and topping it with no sugar added cherries.  To me that sounds delcious, there are alot of cookbooks out there (look on Amazon) that can teach you new ways to make yummy foods.  You surely won't be missing out.  We will adjust.  That stuff was so bad for us, lets try to stay postive and turn this around for us, We can do it.  From the bottom of my heart I know we can.
XiomisMom
on 11/20/10 1:16 am
Topic: A call for help!
Hey fellow OHers!

I had RNY in August 2008. I'm pretty active on the Pregnancy after Weight loss surgery board, as I had twins five months ago. I am also a student getting a master's in counseling psychology. I'm working on my thesis right now all about obesity and weight loss surgery, which as you can imagine is close to my heart. I need some volunteers to fill out some of my forms and tell me what they think. I can send them by e-mail and you can send them back. Please PM me if you want to help me out and increase awareness of obesity, weight loss surgery (any type), the stigma we face together being obese, etc. I really want to increase the awareness of our struggles and help convince the medical/psychological community that we have a voice!

PM me and I'll send you the attachment. I really appreciate your help!

Carrie
lori042499
on 11/18/10 3:52 am - Revere, MA
Topic: struggling with old behaviors
Little background....2 1/2 years out rny lost 210lbs was 445 lowest 235 now 250....honeymoon is over and strting to gain a bit...I feel like I have a handle on my eating for the first time in my life MOST of the time, but I do slip back into some old habits...I am definately a food addict...and can overdo any type of food good and healthy or bad...I am particular to snack items and fatty foods...like, butter, cream, whipped cream, etc...

now to the problems and behaviors I would like help with changing....maybe some of you have had these issues and figured a way to change them...

afternoon Impulse eating...I have tryed delaying the thought to see if I forget and that did work for a while, but now it seems that if I have it in mind I am hell bent on getting it....

Nighttime TV snacky time....I don't keep snacks in the house that I have definate problems with like, cheese curls, crackers etc...but am finding I will make toast with butter on it, or eat high fat cheese, I try to drink a full glass of water and that works in the summertime, but winter time I get too cold from the water and then am miserable...I try to keep busy while watching tv and that does help to an extent....but again if my mind gets stuck on it I give in...

I am finding that while my portion sizes are OK, I am trending on packing in maximum calories in those portions by packing in fat..I do this knowing better than that and feeling like I am sabotaging myself...I know where the calories come from, but like before don't want to let go of those foods, because I have let go of so much, this is a huge red light for me in my thinking...

I have given up all fast food, all soda, all alcohol, all juice...

I drink too much coffee, eat too many sweets, and not enough fruits and veggis...seem to get enough protein...my diet is entirely better than it was, but I am afraid if not kept in check that this will just have been another roller coaster diet fail...I didn't rearrange my innards to fail this time and I am determined to fix my head....

any ideas, tips or tricks will be entertained...
Lori 06/30/2008
445/366/170
highest/pre surgery/goal

Da Shrinking Dawg
Ramon

on 11/16/10 8:35 am, edited 11/16/10 8:41 am - Houston, TX
Topic: Please help out my friend..
You all know that my friend Yvonne has been there for most of us during the last 8 years or so.  There is currently a set of awards that she has been nominated.  If she has helped you in anyway and you find her deserving of this award Please vote for her.

http://www.wlsawards.com/   Favorite Gastric Bypasser * ·         Melting Mama ·         SarahWillBeSkinny ·         BariatricGirl / Yvonne  
there are several nominees that you may know they include one of the twin sisters (Gastric Rose) that recently received Alice's memorial surgery, the company bariatric vitamins - OH, Michelle wls chef (eggface), and Plastic Surgeon Dr. Katzen from California....

Please support Yvonne just like she has supported us.

Ramon Lopez 
Co-Founder
 http://www.rydobesity.com 
Interview on www.weightlosssurgerychannel.com Please check it out.. http://www.weightlosssurgerychannel.com/programs/wls-journeys/wls-journeys-guest-ramon-lopez.html/
Video, about me, made by my best friend Yvonne.. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3gCxNTyRUo0
PEACE 
464/409/200
Thanks Obesityhelp.com
Most Active
Recent Topics
For your education and support
Cathy W. · 2 replies · 788 views
Wellbutrin
merlin300 · 2 replies · 771 views
Best Healthcare Center
jungisstephens · 0 replies · 995 views
What triggers your anxiety