Recent Posts

RHONDA FROM KY
on 1/12/11 10:57 pm, edited 1/12/11 10:57 pm - ALEXANDRIA, KY
Topic: RE: ~SPIRITUAL NOT RELIGIOUS~ A DAY AT A TIME

You're quite welcome!! 

It is good to have an end to journey towards; but it is the journey that matters in the end.  ~Ursula K. LeGuin

RHONDA FROM KY
on 1/12/11 10:56 pm - ALEXANDRIA, KY
Topic: ~SPIRITUAL NOT RELIGIOUS~ A DAY AT A TIME

REFLECTION FOR THE DAY

The Program and my friends in the fellowship have provided me with a whole new set of tools for living.  Even the slogans that once seemed so trite and corny are now becoming an important part of my daily life:  Easy Does It;  First Things First;  This, Too, Will Pass.  If I use all of my tools regularly and well, they'll also help rid me of such negative feelings as guilt, anxiety, rebellion and pride.  WHEN I'M FEELING DEPRESSED, DO I USE THE TOOLS THAT HAVE BEEN PROVEN EFFECTIVE?  OR DO I GRIT MY TEETH AND SUFFER IN PAINFUL SILENCE?

TODAY I PRAY

I praise my wonder-working Higher Power for giving me the tools for recovery, once I admitted I was powerless over alcohol or other drugs or addictions and gave myself over to the will of God as I understand Him.  I give thanks for the Twelve Steps, and for the fellowship of the group, which can help me see myself honestly.  I give thanks for those words and phrases which become, as we understand them more completely, banners in our celebration of sobriety.

TODAY I WILL REMEMBER

Pass on the passwords to recovery.

It is good to have an end to journey towards; but it is the journey that matters in the end.  ~Ursula K. LeGuin

NurseJennifer
on 1/12/11 2:54 am - Apalachin, NY
Once again....thank you
View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com

NurseJennifer
on 1/12/11 2:42 am - Apalachin, NY
Thank you :)  I needed that.
View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com

RHONDA FROM KY
on 1/12/11 12:49 am - ALEXANDRIA, KY

REFLECTION FOR THE DAY

When I sit quietly and compare my life today with the way it used to be, the difference is almost beyond belief.  But things aren't always rosy; some days are a lot better than others.  I tend to accept the bad days more easily on an intellectual level than I do emotionally, or at gut-level.  There are no pat answers, but part of the solution surely lies in a constant effort to practice all of the Twelve Steps.  DO I ACCEPT THE FACT THAT MY HIGHER POWER WILL NEVER GIVE ME MORE THAN I CAN HANDLE -- ONE DAY AT A TIME?

TODAY I PRAY

That I may receive strength in the knowledge that God never gives us more than we can bear, that I can always, somehow, endure present pain, whereas the trials of a lifetime, condensed into one disastrous moment, would surely overcome me.  Thanks be to God for giving us only those tribulations which are in proportion to our strength, never destroying us inour frailty.  May I remember that fortitude grows out of suffering.

TODAY I WILL REMEMBER

Present pain is endurable.

RHONDA FROM KY
on 1/10/11 1:30 am - ALEXANDRIA, KY

REFLECTIONS FOR THE DAY

Since I came to The Program, I've become increasingly aware of the Serenity Prayer.  I see it on literature covers, the walls of meeting rooms, and in the homes of new-found friends.  "God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference."  DO I UNDERSTAND THE SERENITY PRAYER?  DO I BELIEVE IN ITS POWER AND REPEAT IT OFTEN?  IS IT BECOMING EASIER FOR ME TO ACCEPT THE THINGS I CANNOT CHANGE?

TODAY I PRAY

God grant that the words of the Serenity Prayer never become mechanical for me or lose their meaning in the lulling rhythms of repetition.  I pray that these words will continue to take on new depths of significance as I fit life's realities to them.  I trust that I may find the solutions I need in this prayer, which, in it's simplicity, encompasses all of life's situations.

TODAY I WILL REMEMBER

Share the prayer..

RHONDA FROM KY
on 1/8/11 9:31 pm - ALEXANDRIA, KY
Topic: RE: New Blog Post..

Thanks for sharing it, Ramon!  Will love to take a look at it :)

RHONDA FROM KY
on 1/8/11 9:30 pm - ALEXANDRIA, KY

REFLECTION FOR THE DAY

In the past, and sometimes even now, I automatically have thought, "Why me?", when I'm trying to learn that my first problem is to accept my present cir****tances as they are, myself as I am and the people around me as they are.  Just as I finally accepted my powerlessness over my addiction, so must I accept my powerlessness over people, places and things.  AM I LEARNING TO ACCEPT LIFE ON LIFE'S TERMS?

TODAY I PRAY

May I learn to control my urge to control, my compulsion to manage, neaten, organize and label the lives of others.  May I learn to accept situations and people as they are instead of as I would like them to be.  Thus, may I do away with the ongoing frustrations that a controlling person, by nature, faces continually.  May I be entirely ready to have God remove this defect of characther.

TODAY I WILL REMEMBER

Control for the controller (me).

childofnite
on 1/6/11 10:33 pm - Winnipeg, Canada
Topic: X-Post - ALCOHOLISM.
I rarely come here anymore, but I noticed a reply to a post of mine back in April, and felt I needed to respond to it. Please read and take it to heart. Especially newbies. Thanks.

"Just got an email letting me know there were replies to my old thread from last April.

I am an alcoholic - I was fooling myself to think I could control it.
I am on day 102 of sobriety, and am finding it easier now to concentrate on my health and nutrition now that I got that monkey off my back.

There is a lot of theory out there and research to that effect that having gastric bypass surgery can 're-wire' people's systems enough so that they more quickly become alcoholics. We don't have the digestive enzymes to break down the alcohol as effectively anymore - much like the studies that were done that show native Canadians or Americans don't have - and I don't know about south of the border, but alcoholism is RAMPANT in the native population up here.

I have also recently found out I was using alcohol to regulate my insulin and blood sugars - I am Hypoglycemic. And, I had a previous addiction to nicotine in the past. Getting surgery was - for me - a guarantee that I would develop alcoholism. It was just a matter of time, and unfortunately I took that first drink 3 months out.

Alcoholism is a progressive disease, and gastric bypass puts it into warp speed.

My advice would be to NEVER *NEVER* pick up a drink after surgery. Ever. And if it's too late and you already have, never take another. And if you even THINK you're drinking a 'little too much' stop NOW. You could be one drink away from that slippery slope of alcoholism. I am just glad I stopped before I hit rock bottom. Because with our new system post-surgery, rock bottom could be 6 feet under.

Please take this to heart.

I wish the medical community could really start warning people what could happen regarding alcohol. Simply asking someone if they drank a lot prior to surgery isn't enough. We can lie, or you can tell the truth like I did: "I am a once in a while party binger, or a few drinks with company and nothing for weeks/MONTHS after". But nonetheless, 3 years post-surgery I was a full-blown alcoholic.

Good luck to all of you.

Diana"

Find out WHY at www.whyquit.com...

Da Shrinking Dawg
Ramon

on 1/6/11 5:03 am, edited 1/6/11 5:10 am - Houston, TX
Topic: New Blog Post..

I have just started writing a blog for www.formerlyfluffy.com and would love for you to read it.. I will try to write a weekly blog.. It may or not be about WLS just depends on how I feel.. It is called Da Dawg's Dish..  I hope that you check it out here http://www.formerlyfluffy.com/292/

Feel free to post the link on any page that you have..

Thanks..

Ramon

Ramon Lopez 
Co-Founder
 http://www.rydobesity.com 
Interview on www.weightlosssurgerychannel.com Please check it out.. http://www.weightlosssurgerychannel.com/programs/wls-journeys/wls-journeys-guest-ramon-lopez.html/
Video, about me, made by my best friend Yvonne.. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3gCxNTyRUo0
PEACE 
464/409/200
Thanks Obesityhelp.com
Most Active
Recent Topics
For your education and support
Cathy W. · 2 replies · 788 views
Wellbutrin
merlin300 · 2 replies · 771 views
Best Healthcare Center
jungisstephens · 0 replies · 995 views
What triggers your anxiety