Recent Posts

RHONDA FROM KY
on 1/17/11 4:31 am - ALEXANDRIA, KY
Topic: RE: One Year Sober

Congratulations Trish!!!  I'm soo happy for and with you

It is good to have an end to journey towards; but it is the journey that matters in the end.  ~Ursula K. LeGuin

RHONDA FROM KY
on 1/17/11 4:29 am - ALEXANDRIA, KY
Topic: ~SPIRITUAL NOT RELIGIOUS~ A DAY AT A TIME

REFLECTION FOR THE DAY

I have been told over and over that I must constantly work to give up my old ideas.  "That's easy for you to say," I've sometimes thought.  All my life, I have been programmed, computer-style; specific inputs brought forth predictable responses.  My mind still tends to react as a computer reacts, but I am learning to destroy the old tapes and literally reprogram myself.  AM I FULLY WILLING TO ABANDON MY OLD IDEAS?  AM I BEING FEARLESS AND THOROUGH ON A DAILY BASIS?

TODAY I PRAY

Help me to take inventory each day of my stock of my new, healthy thoughts, throwing out the old ones as I happen upon them without regret or nostalgia.  For I have outgrown those old ideas, which are as scuffed and run-over as an old pair of shoes.  Now, in the light, I can see that they are filled with holes.

TODAY I WILL REMEMBER

The Program reprograms.

It is good to have an end to journey towards; but it is the journey that matters in the end.  ~Ursula K. LeGuin

SouthlakeMom
on 1/16/11 9:30 am
Topic: RE: Am I the only one depressed???
Lyn - I am sorry to hear about your depression. Did your surgeon send you for a psychiatric evaluation before surgery? I would encourage you to talk to your therapist, and your psychiatrist to maximize your mental health before undertaking this life changing surgery. The first several months were difficult for me to figure out how to behave. Food was the answer to any and all emotions or events, and after the sleeve I just couldn't do that. The great news is that it has gotten about 1000% better. In 10 months I am about 15 pounds below my goal weight.
SouthlakeMom
on 1/16/11 9:23 am
Topic: RE: A call for help!
 Carrie - 

I am a psychiatrist who had a sleeve about 10 months ago. I would be happy to participate in your questionnaire. 
Patricia R.
on 1/15/11 10:55 am - Perry, MI
Topic: RE: Looking for a therapist in Northern NJ (Bergen County)
Don't know if you found a therapist or not.  Dr. Thomas Barrett is in Morris County, Green Village to be exact.  He specializes in eating disorders.  I have been seeing him for years, and drive from Bucks County, PA to see him.

973-301-0442

Good luck.

Trish Reilly

Seek always to do some good, somewhere. Every man has to seek in his own way to realize his true worth. You must give some time to your fellow man. For remember, you don't live in a world all your own. Your brothers are here too.
Albert Schweitzer

Patricia R.
on 1/15/11 10:52 am - Perry, MI
Topic: One Year Sober
I have not been here in a while.  In the past year, I have been in the psych ward of a hospital, drug and alcohol rehab, and retired from my teaching position on Social Security Disability. 

I have not had a drink in one year.  I am working my AA program better than every before.  

In October, I had a health scare when the ER found blood clots in my lung.  I have a clotting disorder, and was expecting a clot, but still scared when I had one.

If anyone is struggling with alcohol, feel free to

God bless.

Trish Reilly

Seek always to do some good, somewhere. Every man has to seek in his own way to realize his true worth. You must give some time to your fellow man. For remember, you don't live in a world all your own. Your brothers are here too.
Albert Schweitzer

Patricia R.
on 1/15/11 10:46 am - Perry, MI
Topic: RE: Having This Surgery Destroyed My Life
Could it be that you were using food to self-medicate prior to the surgery, and simply transfered addictions?  Just something to think about.

Prior to my surgery, I had been in eating disorder treatment twice, and therapy for fourteen years for a lot of issues.  I also was already in recovery for alcoholism.  I had five years of sobriety, and was active in AA.  But, I relapsed in 2007, and was in relapse for two years.  I went to rehab last year and realized that I had not taken AA seriously, and had never worked all 12 Steps of the AA program with my sponsor.  I also learned a few other things about myself that humbled me greatly.

Today, January 15th, is my one year AA anniversary.  I did some outpatient treatment before and after inpatient treatment.  I attend AA meetings regularly, and am currently on Step 9 of the program.  I had never gotten past Step 6 before.

If you are not already in AA, go to www.aa.org and find a meeting. 

I don't blame anyone for my relapse and the struggle I have had since my surgery.  I am responsible for what happened with my alcoholism.  When I had the surgery, it was on my stomach, not my brain.  Nobody made me pick up the drinks that I had since my surgery.  

Trish Reilly

Albert Schweitzer

mistory5
on 1/14/11 6:06 pm
 did u find any help yet i just want 2 stop b4 i die i have a 10 yr old son who needs me
mistory5
on 1/14/11 5:43 pm
 Hello & Wow!!! Im in same boat never had a problem w alcohol to after DS 12/01 started about 2 yrs after surgery. you sound like me I have lostso much my job, DUI, my family & friends have abandoned me. i live in hell. i been rehab 9x just came out of detox again this week, the first year ever i spent holiddays alone. they r saying i am bipolar. all i know wls was suppose to make life grand some days i just want 2 die i never had problems like this wheni was fat i just wish i could find the answer, ive tried aa, church, inpatient out pt, counseling . i use 2 have it 2gether I cant even manage my everyday biz, i havent even done taxes from last year . i am obsessed w drinking . no one understands they think i just want 2 drink i dont even go 2 bars or functions i drink home alone
i got arrested just things that i would never of done when fat ..i dont have a man either what decent guy wants a black out drunk. im so sad.
RHONDA FROM KY
on 1/14/11 2:19 am - ALEXANDRIA, KY
Topic: ~SPIRITUAL NOT RELIGIOUS~ A DAY AT A TIME

REFELCTION FOR THE DAY

I admitted that I couldn't win the booze and chemical battle on my own.  So I finally began to accept the critically important fact that dependence on a Higher Power could help me achieve what had always seemed impossible.  I stopped running.  I stopped fighting.  For the first time, I began accepting.  And for the first time, I began to be really free.  DO I REALIZE THAT IT DOESN'T MATTER WHAT KIND OF SHOES I'M WEARING WHEN I'M RUNNING AWAY?

TODAY I PRAY

May I know the freedom that comes with surrender to a Higher Power -- that most important kind of surrender that means neither "giving in" nor "giving up" but "giving over" my will to the will of God.  Like a weary fugitive from spiritual order, may I stop hiding, dodging, running.  May I find peace in surrender, in the knowledge that God will that I be whole and healthy and He will show me the way.

TODAY I WILL REMEMBER

First surrender, then serenity.

Most Active
Recent Topics
For your education and support
Cathy W. · 2 replies · 788 views
Wellbutrin
merlin300 · 2 replies · 771 views
Best Healthcare Center
jungisstephens · 0 replies · 995 views
What triggers your anxiety
danmarc · 2 replies · 1702 views