Recent Posts

Lisanelson_2
on 4/13/11 3:09 pm - Salt Lake City, UT
Topic: RE: Alcoholism
 Many Many people have struggle with drinking after this surgery.  Some estimates are 30% or higher. My husband never drank before this surgery except socially and then after this surgery he became and full fledge alcoholic.  My co-worker got the surgery after I did and then he had a problem with drinking as well.  My blog is at www.itsnotaddictiontransfer.wordpress.com

If you are having trouble I can tell you what has helped me.  My email is [email protected].   I take a lot of vitamins to compensate for bypassing the duodenum and jejunum.   If you want to read some heart breaking, yet eye opening stories from fellow gastric bypass patients go to http://calorielab.com/news/2006/07/18/bariatric-surgery-trad es-obesity-for-alcoholism/.   I hope you are doing well.   How much weight have you lost?   When did you have your surgery?
whdiamond
on 4/13/11 1:23 pm - Troy, NY
I had my surgery in 2002 and never thought i would become an addict.  It started with alcohol and moved on to cocaine, pills....     I'm a nurse and never had a problem with addiction but the key words are EXCEPT AN ADDICTION TO FOOD.  Its been a hard road but i have 18months tomorrow.  Also check out Narcotics Anonyous, look it up in google. Runs on the 12 steps just like AA, only they dont just deal with alcohol, but any mind altering substance.  I use both AA & NA.
Patricia R.
on 4/12/11 12:35 pm - Perry, MI
Topic: RE: psych eval should i tell the truth
Of course you should be honest about your meds and the reasons for them.  The reasons for the psych eval are to determine if you will be able to be compliant with the regimen of the lifestyle changes after the surgery.  You can't go back and undo the surgery, but you could do harm to yourself if you do not follow the rules of having RNY.  The post-op diet is strict, especially the first six weeks, during the healing process.  If your mental health issues prevent you from following the rules of the diet and other guidelines, you can do serious harm to yourself.

That being said, I am on a variety of meds, and have bipolar disorder, and am a recovering alcoholic, and that did not prevent me from getting RNY. 

If you are not already in therapy, I suggest you start, so that you can start working through the emotions that will be coming up post-op, because eating disorders don't go away with surgery.  The surgery is a tool.  Like they say around my neck of the woods, I didn't have surgery on my head, but my stomach.  My thinking and emotions contributed to my morbid obesity.

Hugs,
Trish
Seek always to do some good, somewhere. Every man has to seek in his own way to realize his true worth. You must give some time to your fellow man. For remember, you don't live in a world all your own. Your brothers are here too.
Albert Schweitzer

Tammy R.
on 4/12/11 10:54 am - Covina, CA
Topic: psych eval should i tell the truth
ive already had the lapband for 3 years and i am revising to rny. My surgeon has his own psych that is mainly a bunch (175) questions. Some of them have to do with meds, depression, memory, panic, and anxiety, I take all kinds of meds for those. Im not sure I should tell them because I dont want to get this close to my revision andfail because I gave the wrong answers. My depression hasnt really been about my weight but recently I just want to get the weight off because I cant stand being fat anymore. What do you think?
lapband 7/08 revised to rny 7/11

VannyShrager
on 4/4/11 9:21 pm - Bethel Park, PA
That is a powerful story, thank you for sharing it!
flyersgal
on 4/4/11 1:35 pm - NJ
 My grandmother had roux en Y in the 70s.  Prior to the surgery she was a social drinker, but after the surgery she became a full blown alcoholic.  I think she probably found that she got drunk really quickly and maybe didn't understand how or why - keep in mind that back then there weren't psych evaluations, support groups, message boards, etc.  You just had the surgery and went home.  

She never got sober and died from complications of alcoholism.  That said, she managed to live a long life (86). And interestingly enough, she restricted her calories so much the last few years of her life that I believe she was actually exhibiting anorexia.  Of course, doctors aren't really looking for signs of anorexia in an 80 year old woman, nor are they looking for signs of alcoholism.  She could have lived much longer.  
Michellem8991
on 4/1/11 11:45 am - CT
Topic: RE: Bi Polar and having trouble with my meds.
I have been crushing them. I have tried taking half the dose and I am still having problems. I talked to her today and she doesn't feel like she wants to deal with liquid meds. I think they told her she has too. She also is out of the office for a while next week. My pcp will see me on monday and he will give me liquids at least he said he would. He won't change anything though and I talked to my phsyc today about going off of the Lithium. I have had bad side effects from it but it has worked. I don't think I can stay on it anyway. I'm also not sure which ones are hurting me as I crush them all together. My surgeon said I can only take them crushed or liquid no halfs. Thanks for listening.
Patricia R.
on 4/1/11 11:25 am - Perry, MI
Topic: RE: Bi Polar and having trouble with my meds.
When I had my RNY, I was on Lexapro, Buspar and Risperdal.  I was given it in the hospital right after I had my surgery.  The nurses cut them in half, or quarters with a pill cutter, and I had no trouble stomaching them post op.  Can the pills be cut?  If so, you might be able to handle that, as they would wash through your pouch, into your stoma, and be dissolved in your small intestine. 

Why is your psychiatrist unavailable?  Mine is always available to talk to on the phone in cases like this.  If some of them cannot be cut, see if your psychiatrist can switch it to a similar med that can be cut.

I am now on Cymbalta, Geodon and Buspar.  The Cymbalta, and Geodon are in capsule form, which I swallow whole.  I think the capsule dissolves in my pouch, because I have no problem with it. 
Seek always to do some good, somewhere. Every man has to seek in his own way to realize his true worth. You must give some time to your fellow man. For remember, you don't live in a world all your own. Your brothers are here too.
Albert Schweitzer

Michellem8991
on 4/1/11 10:44 am - CT
Topic: Bi Polar and having trouble with my meds.
I had my rny on 3/7/11. I have not been able to get back on my meds since then. I stopped right before surgery and since then I have tried to take them but they are so awful now. I have to crush them. I have tried using pudding, yogurt, crystal light, and water. They hurt my stomach and the side effects that I had before seem to be worse. I am on Lexapro, klonapin, lamictal and lithium. I feel like I'm going to be in trouble soon if I don't get some help. Any suggestions. I am going to see my pcp on monday but my psyc is not available.

I notce people don't post here often. I hope someone can help.
severman
on 4/1/11 1:38 am - Indianapolis, IN
Topic: RE: What anti-depressant are you on that doesn't tear up your tummy?
 I've had the best luck with Lexapro and Abilify.  Hope this helps.

Stephanie E
Most Active
Recent Topics
For your education and support
Cathy W. · 2 replies · 786 views
Wellbutrin
merlin300 · 2 replies · 770 views
Best Healthcare Center
jungisstephens · 0 replies · 993 views
What triggers your anxiety
danmarc · 2 replies · 1701 views