Recent Posts

sylvan
on 4/25/11 12:39 pm
Topic: RE: Bi Polar and having trouble with my meds.
My bet would be on the lithium being the cause of your tummy troubles.  Lithium does come in liquid. 

There are two formulations of lithium-- lithium citrate and lithium carbonate.  Typically, lithium carbonate is easier on your stomach but it really is an individual thing.  Depending on which one you are on currently, you might want to try the other if your doctor won't give you the liquid.
sylvan
on 4/25/11 12:24 pm
Topic: RE: psych eval should i tell the truth
Absolutely, you should tell the truth.  No question about it.  If you get into trouble and you aren't honest then they won't be able to help you in the way that you need.  Lying or keeping information from your doctor is not in your best interest.
sylvan
on 4/25/11 11:59 am
Topic: RE: Has anyone had there surgery pushed back b/c of there psychiatric illness
Find out his definition of stable.  It might just be staying on your meds and out of the hospital.  If that's what he's looking for, that's reasonable.  If he is looking for 24 months with no mood issues then that's going to be harder.  Actually, that may be impossible.  Do you have a good pdoc?  Could you get your pdoc to write a convincing letter documenting your stability?  That's what I did.  So far, so good.  I'm waiting for them to turn everything in to insurance later this week.
sjbob
on 4/25/11 12:46 am - Willingboro, NJ
Topic: RE: Has anyone had there surgery pushed back b/c of there psychiatric illness
 I just want to add that I read apost on another forum this morning that stated that the lap band requires a lot more work on the patient's part.  I know that I would have a hard time with that.  You and your doctor(s) can evaluate all of the WLS options that are out there.
sjbob
on 4/24/11 11:55 am - Willingboro, NJ
 I don't know mushc about most types of WLS, but I do have a friend who had one of the band surgeries and he occasionally goes in for "fills."  That may be a less intrusive form of WLS.  Maybe you should discuss that with your primary and your shrink.  It would probably involve dealing with a different surgeon.   I really don't know.  I would like to give you some hope regarding your chances for WLS.  
Catnip
on 4/24/11 5:51 am - Ottawa, Canada
Topic: RE: Bi Polar and having trouble with my meds.
 Are you taking your supplements crushed at this point as well?  You are taking some supplements, right?  mulit vitamin, calcium, B12,  iron???

You are almost 6 weeks out, I would call the surgeons office and see if you can take half or quater pills.

Also can you spread the doses out more?  I.e. a quater of each regular dose but take them 4 times a day?   Less in your stomach might be better.   or taking half a dose of each one but only taking one kind every hour?  Means you are taking a half pill every hour but it might be easier on your stomach?

CNC

Citrate or Bust (a few bones) !
catnip.gif picture by catnipcook

shellbell4955
on 4/24/11 12:00 am - GA
Thank you sjbob on for your help. I know wls is not a magic bullet just a tool to help me this is something I have been researching and thinking about for 6 years now I HAVE HAD A ROUGH GO OF PSYCHIATRIC INCIDENTS THOUGH so my surgeon will probably deny me but he said he will work with me to go ahead and get the ball rolling and we will go from there so mabye he will see improvment and it wont be such a long wait, but again I enjoy and want any feedback from u guys I welcome it

Shelley Belley
sjbob
on 4/23/11 6:54 pm - Willingboro, NJ
 Nope!  My doctor listed my manic-depression as a comorbidity which I thought was simply stupid due to its genetic nature.  Anyway, it actually helped.  Depending on the severity of your moods, I can also understand why a surgeon or the ins co would be reluctant to approve some people.  I've actually only seen actual denials due to bi-polar or simple depression with people who had been suicidal or who had thought about committing suicide a lot.  What's the sense of having the WLS if you plan on killing yourself?  WLS is not a magic bullet as far as weight loss is concerned and it is definitely not the solution to a chronic mental conditiion.  Acceptance of the mental condition along with proper treatment go hand in hand with being able to being able to cope with the negative mood changes that often follow surgery.  The negative effects go away fairly, but someone who is having major problems may not be able to cope.

We must understand that each person is an individual and general statements about mental conditions and how they affect WLS are basically useless.  You must trust your primary, your surgeon, and your shrink.  Considering that the surgeon is the new link in your treatment team, I'd consider getting a different surgeon's opinion if both your primary and your shrink think you are ready for surgery and the surgeon does not.  In my case, I've had the same primary for several years and have changed shrinks over the years due to changes in insurers ( plus, many shrinks just don't like staying with a particular HMO ).  I had my original shrink for about 6 years and my primary for 14 years prior to my original RNY ( i needed a revision a few years later due to a staple line disruption).  

I don't know what 24 months of a stabilized run on life from bi-polar panic disorder would look like.  I suggest that you discuss that with your shrink.  You may already have most of that requirement in--why go crazy worrying about the requirement if you've alrad had something like 20 monts duration?  However, if it's only been a few months from a major incident, then you should definitely discuss that with your shrink also.

I was super morbidly obese when I had my RNY and weighed over 570 lbs.  I would have been dead about 8 or 9 years ago if I hadn't had it.  Some people may   question my quality of life, but at least I am living.  I have my good and bad days but I tend to live life on an even keel.  I know that my shrinks through the years have been disappointed tha I only felt like I was feeling OK.  In my case, feeling Good is an indication that I'm becoming slightly manic.  It's takeen me years to be able to realize that.  So, I'm fine being OK.  You should know by now what your "normal" is and be able to communicate that to your shrink.  Then, you may have to find out how to communicate it to the surgeon.  The letter or questionaire that your shrink writes may go a long way in deciding whether you get the WLS soon.  A long letter ffrom my shrink describing the medical advantages of having the surgery went a long way in helping me get approval.

Try to be patien--my worst ability.  I know it's hard waiting aroung when you are looking forward to something that may really help you.  I have no idea how obese you are nor what your co-morbidities are.  It wouldn't matter because I'm not qualified to remark on that.  However, some people who are now trying to get WLS are barely morbidly obese.  I had tried everything out there before I decided on WLS.  Remember that it is major surgery.  I was considered a high-risk patient simply because of my weight and some minor complications.  If there is no other way to lose necessary weight, then fight for the WLS.  
shellbell4955
on 4/23/11 5:45 am - GA
Topic: Has anyone had there surgery pushed back b/c of there psychiatric illness
I went to my dr's first seminar last night and the only hitch between me and surgery is my pschiatric illness,bi-polar panic disorder, he wants me to have like 24 months od a stabilized run of life before surgery has anyone had problems with this if so what happened how did u get through??
Shelley Belly

Jessica M.
on 4/23/11 2:04 am - Midlothian, TX
Topic: RE: Increase Rate of Suicide after Gastric Bypass
I think this is good infomation that you are bringing awareness to! Recently I have started research on eating disorders in bariatric patients. There was stunning information that I found from creditable scientific peer reviewed journals, documents, and actual physician and patients. In doing the research, I did see that the suicidal rate among patients who had the gastric bypass had increased significantly in the past 2-4 years. Again, they are not associating it to the "gastric bypass" but the mental health status following suh a life changing event. In no way is the research saying "Gastric Bypass" = Suicide. Which I know you know. 

There is so much on addictions that I am hoping to bring awareness to. Gastric bypass saved my life and it continues to save many lives! However, just like any other surgery the consumer must be educated on the whole picture in order to make the best educated decision for them. 

Thanks for sharing! 
"Winning at a Losing Game"

Most Active
Recent Topics
For your education and support
Cathy W. · 2 replies · 786 views
Wellbutrin
merlin300 · 2 replies · 770 views
Best Healthcare Center
jungisstephens · 0 replies · 993 views
What triggers your anxiety
danmarc · 2 replies · 1701 views