Recent Posts

mandajolyn
on 4/26/11 7:57 am - Tallahassee, FL
Topic: RE: Has anyone had there surgery pushed back b/c of there psychiatric illness
My surgery was pushed back a month because of my mental health history. My surgeon wanted letters from my primary, my psychiatrist stating that I was stable, med compliant and I understood the importance of what I was getting into and what was required of me post op. If you have been stable, seeing a Dr. regularly and compliant you shouldn't have an issue. I thought for sure I'd have a problem but the Dr. just wanted to make sure I was safe and that I was not going to go into a manic spiral because of the trauma of surgery. I'm a year post op, the meds haven't been an issue and have been reduced since surgery and have been able to come off some of the meds. We can't take Extended release meds so if you're on those they may want to change them before you have surgery.
"Be present for your journey, get to know who you really are and then be your authentic self with NO apologies"
You can follow my journey at mandaschange.blogspot.com
pregnancy calendar

NIXMOMMIE
on 4/26/11 7:52 am - NC
Topic: RE: Has anyone had there surgery pushed back b/c of there psychiatric illness
It is a combo of WLS and coming off of a long manic phase.

sjbob
on 4/26/11 7:50 am - Willingboro, NJ
Topic: RE: My post on Main Forum about morbid obesity and bi-polar
 If your depression is really that bad, you should get hold of CONTACT which generally runs through your county.  You may want to see if your county has a deprssion hot line.  Sometimes we just need to be able to talk to somebody.  I'd also see if there is an outpatient low cost or free group that you can go to while waiting to see the psych.  That's only apossible suggestion but I know I don't do well in the groups. 

About 5 years ago I had to go to an outpatient group program while my meds were being changed.  I had thought of suicide but had never attempted it.  Half the people in this group had attempted it and many of them had bee inpatients at mental facilities.  I told my wife I'd rather be dead than go through that experience again.  However, the positive  part of the whole ordeal is that I met with a shrink at least once a week and eveything was fine with 6 weeks.

Right now, May 13 seems like a long time to me.  If you can't get anything sooner, you may want to call the shrink's office and tell them just how bad you are.  This is not a time to be calm and complacent.  I'm not advocating that you yell at the people in the office but let them know how serious your condition.is.  They may be able to give you hints on what to do in the meantime.  They'll probably have the shrink call you back just to talk to you a little.
shellbell4955
on 4/26/11 6:58 am - GA
I wanted the rny but I think with the malaportion probs im gonna have to go with the band b/c im iron, B-12, and potassium defficiant and my psych meds will not be absorbed right, did any of ya'll ahve trouble with psych meds not being absorbed?
shellbell4955
on 4/26/11 6:53 am - GA
Nixmommie why do u feel so miserable? Is it the wls or not having the food or just your bi-polar flaring up?? I will be praying for u
NIXMOMMIE
on 4/26/11 5:51 am - NC
Ok so, last year I decided to go off all meds and was in a manic mode for about 8 months, well it hasgotten me thru the surgery and work and all now, i can't even get up to feed the girl,(10yr old dtr) I feel like absolute crap. I see the psych dr on 13 May. I am sure he will be more than unhappy with me. I posted on the RNY board this afternoon that I am frustrated and stuff, i am sure these feelings are all inter related. Argh!!!
NIXMOMMIE
on 4/26/11 5:42 am - NC
i did have a surgeon deny me based on my diagnosis of bi-polar. the shrink I had my psych eval with said I had missed 2 dr appointments the previous yr. He said that showed me not being consistent. He told me to come back in a year. I sought another surgeon. I was approved and had surgery in record time. I do have to say I am quite the miserable puppy these days. Everyone says its it natural but I am feeling pretty depressed these days, and I do not have my food buddy to console me.

Tammy R.
on 4/26/11 3:23 am - Covina, CA
Topic: RE: psych eval should i tell the truth

You will be happy to know I did. I told the truth. And they were concerned over something I did not think about. I need a doctor to monitor my meds after surgery because of absorbtion levels may be different.

lapband 7/08 revised to rny 7/11

sjbob
on 4/26/11 1:02 am - Willingboro, NJ
 Confide you early post-op problems to both your shrink and to your primary doctor.  I've ready that many people (including men) get spikes of estrogen and may have to sit down with someone to discuss what meds to take for that problem.  Many people who don't have any mental problems are put on anti-depressants for a few months following WLS.  It's possible that any hormonal changes you are facing may be affecting your bi-polar condition.  Discuss this twith your shrink.  Since you recently had RNY, you should keep your surgeon's office up to date to see if any additional meds may affect your pouch.
Michellem8991
on 4/25/11 1:06 pm - CT
I know the feelings. I am bi-polar and had my rny about 6 weeks ago. I know when I go into a manic phase I feel really good and I do everyting to the exses. I also know that includes everything food, sex, spending money, gambling it all. Then when I crash I can't move. I have been struggling with med combos its hard to tell what works and what doesn't. I am tired of taking the meds and I know what will happen if I don't. Wish there was an easier way.

Most Active
Recent Topics
For your education and support
Cathy W. · 2 replies · 786 views
Wellbutrin
merlin300 · 2 replies · 770 views
Best Healthcare Center
jungisstephens · 0 replies · 993 views
What triggers your anxiety
danmarc · 2 replies · 1701 views