Recent Posts

sylvan
on 4/27/11 8:32 am
Topic: RE: Zonegren for Bi polar.
I've never taken Zonegran and I've taken most all the mood stabilizers.  And in all honesty, I don't know anyone on Zonegran and I know a *bunch* of BP folks.  Have you tried Depakote?  That one works for a lot of people.  Or Trileptal?  Or Tegretol?   
Michellem8991
on 4/26/11 11:05 pm - CT
Topic: RE: Bi Polar and having trouble with my meds.
Update....Thanks for all of your responses. I did finally get liquid Lexapro, disovable lamictal and quick dissolve klonapine. They also gave me liquid lithium which I refused to take. After the symptoms I had before I know I can't take them again with my surgery. I am looking into Zonegran. It seems to have less side effects or at least side effects I can handle better. Everything else seems to cause weight gain and such. Not fun for us. I am feeling like I'm becoming manic and thats bad for me. I know where that will lead me. So I am working with my nurse and dr to get this under control. If anyone has had any luck with Zonegran please let me know.
Binda
on 4/26/11 2:25 pm - CA
Topic: RE: Alcoholism
I'm in recovery - almost 7 years. Alcohol kicked my ass and I ended up in AA at 19 but didn't give it up til 2001. Relapsed on some vicodin in 2004 and have been clean/sober since then. I can tell you that taking pain meds post RNY is vastly different than taking it before surgery...it hit me harder and scared the **** out of me. My experience with pain meds post RNY makes me not want to have breast surgery or panni surgery. (and the pain)

I go to AA meetings 3-4 times a week and a Pills Anonymous meeting that is in our area.

Saved my ass. I can't imagine any other way of life. There's a ton of people in AA who developed alcoholism AFTER surgery.

You're not alone, get help and get sober.

Peace
Binda

I have wasted enough of my life worrying about what people think of me.

Binda
on 4/26/11 2:14 pm - CA
Topic: RE: Bi Polar and having trouble with my meds.
I had issues with my BP after surgery (they didn't give me my flipping meds while I was in the hospital for 5 days) and this and that - long story short I was off my meds for 5 days, then on half my meds for 8 weeks til I could see my pdoc.

I'm on Seroquel and Lamictal - my wonder team. When I was on my spiral my pdoc had me grind my meds up and ever since I've been stable (for me lol)

Don't change your meds or your dose or anything til you see a DOCTOR. I'm not a doc and I don't play one on TV.

Psych med adjustments suck - hang in there. It does get better. I thought I was losing it but I'm back on track.

Binda

I have wasted enough of my life worrying about what people think of me.

Patricia R.
on 4/26/11 12:56 pm - Perry, MI
Topic: RE: My post on Main Forum about morbid obesity and bi-polar
I typed a great reply, and it disappeared.  Darn!!!!! 

Anyway, if you ever need someone to talk to, I am here.  I am an experienced Mom and Grandmom, and retired now, so I can be there if you ever need.  [email protected]

Hugs,
Trish
Seek always to do some good, somewhere. Every man has to seek in his own way to realize his true worth. You must give some time to your fellow man. For remember, you don't live in a world all your own. Your brothers are here too.
Albert Schweitzer

Patricia R.
on 4/26/11 12:53 pm - Perry, MI
Seek always to do some good, somewhere. Every man has to seek in his own way to realize his true worth. You must give some time to your fellow man. For remember, you don't live in a world all your own. Your brothers are here too.
Albert Schweitzer

NIXMOMMIE
on 4/26/11 11:45 am - NC
Of course not under medical supervision.  I am typical bi-polar.  I was in a manic phase that lasted for a long time and felt euphoric, not it is coming to a screeching halt just at the time that I have to go thru the surgery and everything that goes with it.  I am feeling a tad bit better tonight after a great bath and pork chops for dinner.

Patricia R.
on 4/26/11 11:42 am - Perry, MI
Did you go off your meds under medical supervision?  That is so dangerous.  I worked in a psychiatric hospital and always had bipolar patients who would go off their meds and completely go off the hook.  I am bipolar, and just lowering my dose sent me on an alcoholic/drug binge that put me in the hospital and then rehab.

Dangerous stuff.

As for off the wall emotions post-op.  Totally normal.  Rapid weight loss causes the release of hormones from the fatty tissue.  Those  hormones made me crazy when I was post-op. 

Talk to your psychiatrist about adjusting your meds to help you get through this time.  Also, breathing exercises can help.  Make sure you are drinking your water, and getting your protein in.  Journal, talk about your feelings, make phone calls to your support network.

Hugs,
Trish
Albert Schweitzer

Patricia R.
on 4/26/11 11:34 am - Perry, MI
Topic: RE: Has anyone had there surgery pushed back b/c of there psychiatric illness
Bipolar disorder is a comorbidity with any other illness when doctors write patients' diagnoses.  It just means an accompanying illness.  Like, when I had my surgery, my comorbidities included arthritis, high cholesterol, prediabetes, and acid reflux, along with my bipolar disorder and alcoholism.  Genetic or not, it is considered a comorbidity, meaning an illness you have along with the need for surgery. 

Doctors have to make sure they document all of the comorbidities to cover their anatomy if the state agencies inspect the records.  Better to have all your diagnoses on the paperwork, than miss one and not be accountable for it.

Albert Schweitzer

Michellem8991
on 4/26/11 10:49 am - CT
Topic: Zonegren for Bi polar.
I need to know if anyone has had experience with this med. I have been on Lithium, lexapro and lamictal and klonapin. Worked for a while till the Lithium started with side effects. Poor coordination, constipation, hair loss and thyroid issues. Any help would be appreciated. I can feel I'm going into a manic phase and it wont be good if that happens.

Most Active
Recent Topics
For your education and support
Cathy W. · 2 replies · 785 views
Wellbutrin
merlin300 · 2 replies · 769 views
Best Healthcare Center
jungisstephens · 0 replies · 991 views
What triggers your anxiety
danmarc · 2 replies · 1700 views