Recent Posts

rocheb
on 6/12/11 4:17 am
Topic: very depressed
 not sure if this is even the right place to post since I havent had surgery yet,,but maybe some of you have had this problem and would understand..

Lately I dont want to go antwhere,do anything.I dont even know if its weight related.I think part of it is that I have a hard time walking distances.

.I was supposed to go a wedding today and I just couldnt go.I cant even explain.I was filled with such dread.Now I feel terrible because I didnt even call my friend,I figured I would call her tomorrow and explain..

I dont even know if im explaining myself but if anyone has ever felt like this,help
sjbob
on 6/11/11 7:09 am - Willingboro, NJ
Topic: RE: I may be crazy...
 Follow Patricia's advice.  Be grateful that you were able to get WLS.  And, give yourself time.  Recovery does take a lifetime.  You already know that you will have your chronic mental problems for the rest of your life.  I assume that you are getting treatment for them and you have accepted that fact.  Losing weight due to the WLS will change how you are able to move around and it may change how you feel.  Then, again, the changes you feel may not be what you would have thought they would be.  I am manic-depressive and have been for almost 25 years that I'm aware of--I was probably suffering from it for 40 years at least but didn't know it.  I was super morbidly obese when I had the RNY and now I'm only morbidly obese.  I have other problems that the WLS simply is not going to cure.

Accept yourself as you are and love yourself as a worthy person on a daily basis.  Yes, you can continue to lose weight but should look at that as a long term project.  In the short-term, practice the proper way of eating that you have not been following for years.  This is your chance to learn a new way of eating.  If you need help with a journal and with planning how to cope with these changes, get a copy of Judith Beck, PhD's book, the Beck Diet Solution Weight Loss Workbook.  You do not need any of her other books.  This book gives you 42 lessons to follow to learn how to eat properly.  She askd that you follow them in succession without skipping any.  Then you can decide which ones you will incorporate into your life.  This involves a lot of writing, so I suggest that you buy notebooks -- any type from a store -- and write in the notebooks rather than in the workbook itself.  You'll be doing parts of theis workbook over and over again throughout
your life.  Remember that you only have today..  Work your program a day at a time.  Sometimes I have to go an hour at a time.  

Good luck, and Contact me through OH if you need any help with the book.  Bob

Patricia R.
on 6/9/11 12:56 pm - Perry, MI
Topic: RE: Anyone taking Abilify and Cymbalta?
I was on Abilify for a short time, because it was not strong enough for my bipolar mania.  I currently take Cymbalta, and love it.  My doc switched me a year or so ago to help with fibromyalgia pain, in addition to my depression.  Not sure it is doing anything for my pain, but it helps my depression immensely.  For my bipolar mania, I currently take Geodon, which I love.  I used to be on Risperdal, but it was too sedating.  I also take Buspar, for anxiety. 

I have been on the current regimen of meds for about the past year.  I have gone back to losing weight in the past six months. 

You won't know how your meds are post-op, till you are post-op.  Stay in close contact with your psychiatrist during the initial period post-op.  Also, bear in mind, during the first few month post-op, most people go through a roller coaster of emotions because of the hormones that are released from the fat stores.  Practically everyone I know that has had WLS goes through that roller coaster.  It is mainly hormonal, though adjusting to the new lifestyle also creates some negative emotions as well.

Prepare yourself emotionally now by saying goodbye to certain foods.  Sugar, and high fat foods were my fond farewells.  During the period I was pre-op, I followed the diet I would have post-op, except every other day, I had either a hot fudge sundae, or a chocolate milkshake.  My last pre-op meal, I gorged myself on shrimp with melted butter.  I managed to lose 15 pounds in three months pre-op, even with the ice cream.  I was also exercising rigorously as well.

Sorry to babble.

Trish
Seek always to do some good, somewhere. Every man has to seek in his own way to realize his true worth. You must give some time to your fellow man. For remember, you don't live in a world all your own. Your brothers are here too.
Albert Schweitzer

pamelatx111
on 6/8/11 4:14 pm - TX
Topic: Anyone taking Abilify and Cymbalta?
Just wondering how these drugs do after WLS and how it effects your weightloss? I take these now (preop) and am afraid of how the Abilify will react after surgery. Thanks!

Laugh Often. Regret Nothing!                               Surgery date 7/18/11
Patricia R.
on 6/8/11 12:53 pm - Perry, MI
Topic: RE: I may be crazy...
You are perfectly normal at this point in your recuperation.  Stalls are normal, especially if you still get your period.  Even if you don't, stalls are perfectly normal.  Up your exercise, or change it. 

Also, during our period of rapid weight loss, our bodies release hormones that were stored in the fat, and those hormones can cause a roller coaster of emotions. 

Make a graph of your weight loss, and track it.  Also, take your measurements and see if, even during your stalls, you are losing inches. 

Talk to your psychiatrist about adjusting your meds at this time to help you deal with the roller coaster ride you are on. 

Try to find a face to face support group for post-ops, because that is where you will find a ton of feedback about where you are right now.  Everyone goes through stalls.  You are totally normal in that.

As for not being able to eat what you want, try to treat yourself to some sugar free chocolate pudding, or Klondike makes No Sugar Added ice cream bars that are decadent.  Also, journal your feelings when you get upset about not being able to eat anything you like. 

Have faith in yourself and your surgery.  I can attest to the fact that it was worth the effort.  I lost 100 pounds.  I no longer have to take cholesterol medication.  Nor am I prediabetic.  My blood sugars have been excellent since my surgery.  I no longer have sleep apnea either.  I have not reached my goal, but I am back to losing, after a relapse with alcohol and some weight gain as a result.

I hope this helps.

Trish
Seek always to do some good, somewhere. Every man has to seek in his own way to realize his true worth. You must give some time to your fellow man. For remember, you don't live in a world all your own. Your brothers are here too.
Albert Schweitzer

Candigirl23
on 6/8/11 1:27 am
Topic: I may be crazy...
SO... I am not completely crazy, but I feel like it! I was diagonsed OCD and Bi-polar before surgery. Today, two months post surgery I feel like I am on a roller coaster and no one else understands. I am upset that once a month, for a week I don't lose any weight. I stand on the scale and just want to cry. I have lost 38 lbs since my April 6th surgery, and I know that pre-surgery it took me 6 months to lose that, but I feel like 30,000.00 and not being able to eat what I want when I want... I deserve better results. I do not eat bread or other carbs. I eat meat and drink my protein drinks. I take my vitamins and drink my water! 

I am going to be really mad if I spent all this time and money to be thin and I never get there! I also will be really mad if I stay fat, but can't eat like I am fat! UGH!!!!

~ THE BEST IS YET TO BE ~

Kaitlin D.
on 6/4/11 9:42 am
Topic: RE: Alcoholism
Yes! I'm 21 and currently in outpatient rehab for alchohol addiction. I went to detox, and was medically cleared. Ive been sober for almost a week now ... I know this is going to be a long journey. Ive always had an addictive personality along with bi-polar, and borderline personality. Im happy to see im not alone here.

If you want to get somewhere you have to know where you want to go and how to get there. Then never, never, never, give up!

HW/256 SW/248 CW/137 GW/140

*goal reached in 8 months*

* Proud Mommy to Parker Joseph 4/27/13 *

Kaitlin D.
on 6/4/11 9:37 am
Topic: RE: Transfer Addictions
Yes! Yes! I tried to access this forum but it says I dont have access to it =(

If you want to get somewhere you have to know where you want to go and how to get there. Then never, never, never, give up!

HW/256 SW/248 CW/137 GW/140

*goal reached in 8 months*

* Proud Mommy to Parker Joseph 4/27/13 *

sylvan
on 5/27/11 10:45 am
Topic: RE: Anyone on Zyprexa and having WLS??
On May 13, 2011 at 7:41 AM Pacific Time, shellbell4955 wrote:
Anyone out there gain a lot of weight on zyprexa but is still taking it after wls surgery let me know how that is working for u please.

Shelley Belley
I am curious about this too.  I wish I had an answer for you but I don't.  My doc seems to think that it will work but I'm not so sure based on the metabolic changes that occur when you take Zyprexa, or any other AAP for that matter.
Patricia R.
on 5/23/11 11:37 pm - Perry, MI
Topic: Transfer Addictions
Are you struggling with alcohol, drugs, shopping, sex addiction?  Did you not have the problem prior to your surgery?  Maybe you did, but it got worse, like me?  We have a forum just for addictions here at OH.  Come visit us, and share your story.  I will gladly share mine again, if you would like.

http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/crossingtotransferaddiction s/discussion/

Hugs,
Trish
Albert Schweitzer

Most Active
Recent Topics
For your education and support
Cathy W. · 2 replies · 785 views
Wellbutrin
merlin300 · 2 replies · 769 views
Best Healthcare Center
jungisstephens · 0 replies · 991 views
What triggers your anxiety
danmarc · 2 replies · 1700 views