Recent Posts

kb2010
on 7/26/11 9:12 am - CO
Topic: End of my rope
I am dealing with some really bad issues right now and I am starting to scare myself. I am @ 5 months post WLS and I don't know if it is hormonal or just life but I feel like I am slowing losing my mind. I am depressed alot of the time and horribly angry the rest. All of these overwhelming feelings of anger and irritation consume me and I go on a rage to my daughter or Husband. My daughter is 13 and really going thru a disrespectful and smartass time and it makes me soooo mad. I feel pissed on by her daily and I just lose it. I am not able to find a job and feel worthless on top of always worrying @ money. I don't want to hurt myself but there are days I wouldn't care if something happened to me. I am just so damn angry at the smallest thing. I get mad at slow drivers, crying babies, rude strangers..I want to just go blow steam off at them for no reason. I feel like I am ruining my marriage, my daughter and my life......,.

HW:390   GW:170ish

dreakixxes
on 7/20/11 11:08 am - Raymond, NH
RNY on 03/05/12
Topic: RE: My post on Main Forum about morbid obesity and bi-polar
I have known Im Bi-Polar for about 5 years now. When i was PG with my son i started to feel really down and hated the world. The doctors told me it depression and gave me pills. It worked for awhile. After having him things didnt seem to get any better. After seeing many doctors and everyone telling me it was the baby blues, I found a doctor that asked me about my past. After a long talk, she said the word I didnt want to hear. "I think your bipolar!"
Its been a VERY long road. With many lows and a few highs.
I have always been over weight. And had to deal with that all my life. But it came harder after them putting me on meds. I gained alot of weigh and couldnt get it off. My mom had bypass about 10 years ago and it seem to work for her. I have been thinking about it for years and toke the jump about 6 months ago.
About 4 months ago we got me out of a very low. It toke almost a year. I felt normal for sometime. something i havent felt for a very long time. But now i have gone manic again. Thats what state im in now. Some think its the stress of having to loss the weight preop..some think its me coming off birth control.... and yet think its cause i have lost some weight and now the meds need fixed.  We have chagned my meds and see if that works. As you can see from what i have writed Im all over the place.
It would be nice to have people to talk to that are dealing with the same things. Who have bipolar and doing WLS.
dreakixxes
on 7/20/11 10:02 am - Raymond, NH
RNY on 03/05/12
Topic: RE: I may be crazy...

Hello
I kind of know how your feeling. About 5 years ago i was diagonsed with Bi polar. I have not yet had my surgery due to the fact that i cant seem to loss the post op weight. Everyone tells me its just cause of all the meds im on. I think because of the stress of losing weight has put on me i have jumped on that roller coaster your on. My weight goes up and down. I am sure its just has something to do with our meds and having bi polar. If you ever need to vent or anything like that just give me a call. Always open to talking with someone who deals with what i deal with daily!!
I do think you will get there... if it wouldnt happen they wouldnt of done the surgery. Now a days they know so much and would know if it wasnt going to happen.

thelightedtorch
on 7/13/11 2:14 am - Newton, WI
Topic: NO ONE HAS THE RIGHT TO JUDGE YOU FOR BEING OVERWEIGHT INCLUDING YOURSELF!
 Obesity is one of those problems where the symptom is apparent (the obesity) but the underlying causes aren't understood or hidden.  Most people who have never had a problem with their weight or those that only have a minor problem believe whole heartedly that calories in minus calories out equals weightloss.  I wi**** were that simple.  We would have no obese people.  There is often something pathological or physical that cause a person to alter the intake of calories.  In my case it's Poly Cystic Ovarian Syndrome.  My doctors at the Veterans Administration (VA) kept hassleing me about being "a woman of your size..."  and then I went to a civilian doctor and they imediately said "your thirty, you have acne, and you are obese, you are most likely suffering from PCOS".  Wow! Vindication!  There is a reason I experience gnawing hunger all the time!  My cells are starving because they are insulin resistant.  PCOS is only one of the many causes for obesity that go beyond calories in/calories out.  I swear!

How increadibly stupid for someone to even think for a moment that obesity is a simple problem!  It is like saying they can solve the problems in the middle east really simply: everyone just stop fighting.  Problems are more complicated than people who don't suffer from them tend to think of them.  

The key is finding the underlying reasons.  In my case it's PCOS and depression that may be partially caused by PCOS.  Some other people may be victims of abuse, neglect, sexual trauma, or difficult pasts.  All of these problems are perfectly valid reasons to being overweight!  Don't be hard on yourself or blame yourself like the rest of the cruel world seems to already do before they even know you.  LOVE YOURSELF and find out what you are going to do for your health.  Wether that is excersizing more, eating less, or having weightloss surgery, the answer is only up to you to decide.  Ultimately, you are the one in responsible for your health.  If you are not sure what to do, prayer has always helped me.  
Patricia R.
on 6/24/11 12:32 pm - Perry, MI
Topic: RE: beginning the journey with long standing depression
I am sorry to hear you are struggling.  I have been there.  There are antidepressants that do not make you foggy.  Go to your psychiatrist and discuss your options.  I am on Cymbalta and am doing well with it.  I have done well with others as well.  Zoloft is one, and Lexapro.  It was probably the Abilify that gave you the foggy feelings. 

Are you in psychotherapy?  That would help if you aren't.  Since you are a pre-op patient, you will learn a lot in therapy about coping skills and distorted thinking that causes us to feel the depression. 

In the meantime, set yourself baby step goals.  Start with something small, like taking a short walk once a day, and washing the dishes each day.  Taking the walk will help stimulate the endorphins in the brain, which are feel good hormones. 

Ask your psychiatrist for a recommendation for psychotherapy, if you are not already in therapy.  Also, if you have not gotten your psych meds from a psychiatrist, I recommend seeing one.  They are more familiar with the side effects of all the psych meds, and can help you titrate them to the appropriate levels.  Also, they can give you the right combination of meds for your symptoms.  I have been seeing my psych doc for over 20 years, off and on.  There was a time when I saw a different psychiatrist due to insurance. 

My combination of meds are Cymbalta for depression, Geodon for my bipolar mania, and Buspar for anxiety.  I have not had that foggy feeling since being on this combination. 

Hugs,
Trish
Seek always to do some good, somewhere. Every man has to seek in his own way to realize his true worth. You must give some time to your fellow man. For remember, you don't live in a world all your own. Your brothers are here too.
Albert Schweitzer

batman-kitty
on 6/23/11 10:06 pm - Stuyvesant, NY
Topic: beginning the journey with long standing depression
I have just started the WLS journey about a month ago.  I just can't seem to get motivated enough to continue with what I have to do to get the surgery.  I don't feel like doing anything -- household chores, going to work -- I only want to either sleep, eat, or be on the computer.  I'm sad and anxious a lot of the time.  I've been on antidepressants with some success; however, their effectiveness is limited and when I'm on them, my brain is in a fog.  Not too long ago I weaned myself (with the help of my NP) off of Abilify & Wellbutrin and I'm now only taking Lamictal.  (The brain fog was too much.  I temporarily felt better being off of them). Maybe because of the long-standing stress I've been under the past few years, that's what was causing the depression.  Maybe I just can't cope with the stress that life brings in general.   I'm afraid of trying other antidepressants because of the brain fog.  I'm just not in a good place.
Michellem8991
on 6/22/11 3:08 am - CT
Topic: RE: Zonegren for Bi polar.
Thank you for the info

ChristineJo
on 6/22/11 2:26 am - NY
Topic: RE: Zonegren for Bi polar.
 I was on Zonegren for mood stabilization but had an allergic reaction to it because it contains Sulfa , so if you are allergic to sulfa at all don't try it. I take Abilify now and have no side effects.
Patricia R.
on 6/14/11 12:08 pm - Perry, MI
Topic: RE: very depressed
Having been in therapy for a long time, and on antidepressants for a while, I must recommend both.  At least see a therapit and start working on learning some coping skills, because you will be making some lifestyle changes with your surgery, and therapy can help you work through your feelings and behaviors now and beyond your surgery.  Then, ask thetherapist for a psychiatric referral for an evaluation for medication.  You may need some meds to help you at this time.  Some people have a chemical imbalance which causes the depression, or what have you.  Others just hit a rough patch and need something to help them through that period.  I recommend getting meds, if you go that route, from a psychiatrist rather than family doc. 

In the meantime, post as much as you need to here.  That is what we ae here for.

Hugs,
Trish
Seek always to do some good, somewhere. Every man has to seek in his own way to realize his true worth. You must give some time to your fellow man. For remember, you don't live in a world all your own. Your brothers are here too.
Albert Schweitzer

sylvan
on 6/12/11 5:17 am
Topic: RE: very depressed
It sounds like depression.  Do you have a doctor that you can go to about this?  If you don't have a psychiatrist then maybe your GP.  Sometimes a good antidepressant is needed.  I wish you the best. 
Most Active
Recent Topics
For your education and support
Cathy W. · 2 replies · 785 views
Wellbutrin
merlin300 · 2 replies · 769 views
Best Healthcare Center
jungisstephens · 0 replies · 991 views
What triggers your anxiety
danmarc · 2 replies · 1700 views