Recent Posts

sarahmathis1681
on 3/16/12 11:03 am
RNY on 02/13/12
Topic: RE: Angry
 ive gotten that way too my husband says im more *****y i just try to laugh it off

http://www.weight-loss-center.net

jessicalovegold
on 3/3/12 2:06 am
Topic: Angry
Since WLS, about 7 months ago, I find myself getting angry a lot.  My tolerance for the the things that irritate me are much lower.  I talk back more and put up with less.  I think it is partly do to the fact that I no longer have food as a buffer/soother between me and the world. So I am lashing out.  I also think I used to shove so many feelings down prior to wls, and now I don't want to, or they are just coming out on their own.  I feel more assertive, but also more aggressive, and I have mixed feelings about it.  I feel like my personality is changing and it is strange, exciting, and scary.  Has anyone else felt like this?  Has this happened to anyone else?
00Sheep
on 2/8/12 5:03 am - Joplin, MO
Topic: RE: RYN and wellbutrin????
I did not take Wellbrutrin befor my surgery, but I know that my prescription has been increased several times in order to get a good effect.  I started taking 150.  I now take 450 mg daily.  My psychiatrist was concerned about it until she found that I had RNY surgery.  She now says that it is most likely a consequence of the way I absorb medication.  I am not willing to go back down because of the way I felt before taking 450 mg.  If it works, don't mess with it.
00Sheep
on 2/8/12 4:55 am - Joplin, MO
Topic: RE: Increase Rate of Suicide after Gastric Bypass
I am one of those who had serious concequences from having rny surgery.  While I believe the surgery saved my life, there was little attention paid to the mental, emotional, and relationship problems it brought on.

I had my surger on February 4, 2004, 8 years ago.  I did not have any physical problems at first, but by June 2006, I was suffering from a deep depression and was fighting persisting thoughts of suicide.  After an aborted suicide attempt I was hospitalized.  My antidepressant medication was changed.  This seemed to help...for about a month.  Then the suicidal ideas became stronger and more persistent.  I attemtped suicide, and required a stomach pump.  Because I was the only person in the room who know about the gastric bypass surgery and I was in no condition to tell anyone, they used a tube to pump my stomach that was way too big.  I ended up with an abrased esophagus and a hernia.  What finally helped me?  I left my husband.  The more weight I lost the more controlling he was of my time.  He would expect me to account for every moment I spent away from home, and started accusing me of infedelity. 

When I was preparing for the surgery, I was told about the health benifits that losing the unwanted 200 pounds would bring about.  During this time, almost as a side note, it was explained that there were two things the surgery would not help with: thyroid problems and depression.  Thyroid problems seemed self evident to me.  However I remember laughing at the thought that the surgery would not help with depression.  After all, I was depressed because I was fat, right?  Well, it turns out that I was fat because I was depressed.  The surgery took away my way of coping with daily problems, food.  But I did not have coping mechinism in place to replace food.  Once the major weight loss was over, the daily problems came back, plus I had a jealous husband who did not trust me anymore (by the way, there was not reason for him not to trust me, there still isn't).
kalifreya
on 2/6/12 11:25 am - Salisbury, MD
Topic: RE: Anorexia/Bulimia after WLS
I too am suffering with the same fears. I am 1 1/2 years out, have lost 105 lbs. Went from a size 22 to a 4. I recently put on 4 pounds and am freaking out! I'm so scared about becoming heavy again but its all I think about. My friends and family tell me I'm too skinny now but they don't understand the fear I have and how it controls me. The more I think about gaining weight the more hungry I get...So now I'm obsessed with not eating at all ,I know this isn't healthy. But the fear is so strong and controlling. Please don't feel like you are alone with this. I hope you stay strong and are able to overcome this and know that we are here for you. Good luck
beccabecca66
on 1/23/12 6:11 am - Houston, TX
Topic: RE: Change in how anti-depressant/anti-anxiety meds work at almost 2 year post-op?

Hi Karen,

I'm not sure which meds you are taking and how long you've been on them, so this might not be 100% relevant.

If you are taking a benzodiazapine for anxiety (like klonopin, ativan, xanax, etc), people tend to build a tolerance and need more to get the same effect.  One med that seems to help some with anxiety but doesn't have this problem is buspar.  It didn't work for me, but everyone is different.

Some antidepressants just stop working after a time.  This seems to be especially true of ssri's.  The technical term for this is antidepressant tachyphylaxis.  I prefer to call it med poop out.

Neither of these are weight loss surgery related.  Its just how it goes.  Talk to your prescriber and see if they have any ideas.  They may increase the dose.  They may add another antidepressant that works on different neurotransmitters.  They may switch you to a different med completely.

I took lexapro successfully for a long time when it stopped working the way it used to.  We increased, but once I maxed out on the dose with no improvement, we ended up switching to a different antidepressant.

Until you find a med (or med combo) that works well for you, continue doing everything you can on your own to help boost your mood.  Exercise is good for both depression and anxiety.   I know that sometimes its the last thing I feel like doing, but even short bursts of doing just a little *something* help a bit.  Also I noticed when depression creeps in, thats when i start craving those processed refined carbs-- the last thing that I need to be eating.

So while this may not be related to weight loss surgery, doing the things we're supposed to be doing since surgery anyway may help.

--Becca

Karen M #2
on 1/23/12 12:56 am - Ottawa, Canada
RNY on 04/20/10 with
Topic: Change in how anti-depressant/anti-anxiety meds work at almost 2 year post-op?
Hello out there.

I'm just wondering if anybody out there has had an issues with their anti-depressant/anti-anxiety meds as far out as almost 2 years post-op. I could see there being an issue right away post-op, but I have had no problems until now. I see the nurse at my GP's office on Thursday, but I'm just wondering if there is anybody else out there that can tell me if this has happened to them as well.   Thanks, Karen

HW-328/SW-309/CW-163/GW-160
Success is the sum of small efforts repeated day in and day out.  - Robert Collier

Follow me on Twitter!: Karen_M_2

beccabecca66
on 1/18/12 9:37 pm - Houston, TX
Topic: RE: Risperidone (Risperdal)

It definitely is a struggle with these meds--Seroquel was a bad one for me as far as weight gain before I had surgery.   I feel your pain.

I'm now up to 3 mg of risperdal per day.  I haven't gained any weight, but I haven't lost any more either.  I would like to lose another 20-25 pounds but I guess right now, mood stability is more important.

The mood instability causes issues with eating too.  I seem to crave the foods that I shouldn't be eating at all (and then give into the craving).    Or I have days where I don't want to eat anything at all... which isn't good either.

I'm doing the best I can to keep up with exercise to get those feel good chemicals flowing, and also to help counteract some of the lapses in good judgement about eating.

Quitting meds was not one of my best ideas, although it felt like the right decision at the time.   Getting back to 'stable' is a hard path.   At 14 months out, now I have to worry about finding the right meds for me and  that intense fear of regain every time I try a new med, and fighting those food demons that want to take over.

Hislady
on 1/18/12 11:53 am - Vancouver, WA
Topic: RE: So this big ass questionnaire we have to do...

I had to take the same one and I'm like you, love to take tests and see what they tell me. My psych said I'm so normal it's pathetic, no eating disorders, nothing, just normal Beaver Cleaver typical middle American family kid! It was kinda disappointing.

Kim Gyurina, OH Staff
on 1/18/12 10:31 am
DS on 09/27/23
Topic: URGENT! NEW CRUISE DIRECT BOOKING LINE!
We saw some complaints about being put on hold too long for booking,  so Royal Caribbean provided a new number that goes directly to my contact's department:

NEW DIRECT BOOKING PHONE NUMBER TO OUR CONTACT: 1-800-465-3595, OH BOOKING CODE 2201863.

Kim Gyurina, Event Manager

Most Active
Recent Topics
For your education and support
Cathy W. · 2 replies · 785 views
Wellbutrin
merlin300 · 2 replies · 769 views
Best Healthcare Center
jungisstephens · 0 replies · 991 views
What triggers your anxiety
danmarc · 2 replies · 1700 views