Recent Posts

(deactivated member)
on 6/4/12 3:41 am - Romulus, MI
RNY on 04/25/12
Topic: The thought of eating makes me physically ill.
Hello Everyone,

This is my 1st time posting on this forum for mental health. My name is Susie and I had RNY done on 4/25/12.

The funny thing is, I work in the mental health field and I do have what I call a "Life Coach" a.k.a. therapist. 

So, here is my short version of my issue...I know that I need to go and see my therapist but, I am embarrassed to make an appointment! Of course I only visit her when I am having a crisis, that is what I pay her for...right? So, why am I so nervous about making the call? The answer is because I have been so good with reaching my goals and we had discussed me having the RNY and all of the changes that I would have to make and now I am having difficulties following through.

Whenever I smell food, see food or hear people talking about food, I get physically ill! I know this sounds crazy because food used to be my very best friend! When I try to eat anything, even yogurt...I feel as though it is strangling me and my throat feels like there is a blockage and I honestly get a massive fast headache...like I am losing oxegen.

I went to my surgeon's office last Friday and he did check me out to see if I had a stricture, which I do not have. He then told me that there is nothing physically going on that should prevent me from trying new foods and actually not getting physically sick. He believes that I have some sort of "wierd" mental aversion to food. REALLY!!! I already knew that.

Has anyone else experienced this after surgery? Please do not suggest protein drinks or powders, the thought of them make me gag. Somebody else suggested that I take 1/2 of a xanax (for anxiety) a 1/2 hour prior to eating, to relax myself and possibly take the anxiety away. I may try this later today, seeing as how I only have had 2 ounces of 0% Fage yogurt and a 6 once cup of coffee.

If anyone has any suggestions for me, besides contacting my Therapist (because I am going to make the appointment) please forward them to me.

BTW, I have been diagnosed with Bi-Polar Severe Depression since 1995.

Thank you.
boxermom
on 5/31/12 7:22 pm - MI
Topic: dont be afraid to ask questions here...
Mental health is a very important element of any type of weight loss.  It impacts your life in every way. This is a safe place to ask questions.  We try to be as honest as we can here and use our experiences to answer your questions.  Do not be ashamed or embarrassed to post on this forum because changes in our mental health are inevitable as our body goes through physiological changes.

Thanks!

boxermom

Thoughts become things... choose the good ones!

Boxermom
290/190/160  TT done
sw/cw/gw 

boxermom
on 5/27/12 11:48 pm - MI
Topic: RE: Serequel
 posted to ya on the main board...

Boxermom
290/190/160  TT done
sw/cw/gw 

bbwvixen
on 5/27/12 12:29 pm - Surrey, Canada
Topic: Serequel
I was put on it a year ago 100 mg. didn't have any side affects to it that I know of.
But a year later, I'm starting to gain weight and have incredible carb and sweets cravings.
In another group a few people said this is the serequel. Does that sound right?
darliner00
on 5/15/12 11:54 pm, edited 5/17/12 5:36 am
Topic: RE: Depression or manic-depression
Having that kind of illness is not easy. It's a matter of controlling and self descipline on how you can control what your mind is telling you.

Wish you all the best.
Darline
dsm iv

(deactivated member)
on 5/14/12 4:28 pm
Topic: RE: Sex/Love Addiction...
 Hi,
Keep your self busy. It will help you a lot. 
Caidkin
on 5/14/12 3:11 pm - Canandaigua, NY
RNY on 07/02/12
Topic: RE: Sick of Trazodone and 'sleep eating'
 Omg I cannot believe what I am reading! I thought I was the only one!  I take ambien a couple times a week
And I eat like a horse on it too!  My husband thinks I'm crazy!  Wow!  Well I guess I'm in the same boat as you.  
Just had my RNY on 7.2.12!!!!  WOOHOO!!!!!         
Caidkin
on 5/14/12 3:06 pm - Canandaigua, NY
RNY on 07/02/12
Topic: RE: Change in how anti-depressant/anti-anxiety meds work at almost 2 year post-op?
 I have not had surgery yet, but I can tell you I've been on an anti anxiety anti depression med for about 13 years.  About every 4 years I have to either up or switch my med because it looses it's effectiveness or my body. Builds a tolerance.  
Just had my RNY on 7.2.12!!!!  WOOHOO!!!!!         
boxermom
on 5/6/12 3:31 am - MI
Topic: How is the Group?
Just checking in to see how the group is doing.  Anything positive you want to say to the other members out there looking for a pick me up?

boxermom

Boxermom
290/190/160  TT done
sw/cw/gw 

Tamara B.
on 4/17/12 5:03 am - southwest, MO
Topic: RE: Anorexia/Bulimia after WLS
I have researched this topic while working on  my Master's in Counseling. Bulimia and Anorexia do exist after WLS, although most drs don't call it that due to the DSM descriptions/criteria. There are printed case studies though.
I am now a PLPC (provisionally licensed professional counselor). I highly recommend that you seek therapy/counseling to address your fears and compulsions. This can absolutely be deadly. I understand because I am 8 yrs post-op and have facilitated a support group on and off for over 5 yrs. I have feared the weight gain as well. I know people who have dealt with this but refused to admit it was happening. I applaud you for acknowledging this and urge you to seek mental health-care. I am available for counseling session via SKYPE if you cannot find someone in your geographic area.
Please take care of yourselves!!!

Take care,
Tamara
Most Active
Recent Topics
For your education and support
Cathy W. · 2 replies · 785 views
Wellbutrin
merlin300 · 2 replies · 769 views
Best Healthcare Center
jungisstephens · 0 replies · 991 views
What triggers your anxiety