Recent Posts

boxermom
on 7/18/12 3:08 am - MI
Topic: RE: lithium
if you are on litium, i am taking a guess that you are bipolar?  a lot of times they deny you due to this.  if you can get your psych to work with your clinic to get you approved then he knows that all of your meds will need to be adjusted every couple of months due to absorbtion.  my dr always dictates that i've had gastric bypass and could be malabsorbing.  i get b12 shots from my psych too.  

i dont even think the clinic has knowledge of your mental blood work results.  they are looking at blood sugars etc.  dont worry, just follow your drs orders.  thats important.

Thoughts become things... choose the good ones!

Boxermom
290/190/160  TT done
sw/cw/gw 

boxermom
on 7/18/12 3:02 am - MI
Topic: RE: Bi-Polar
 did they say you passed the psych exam?  often they will decline you because of bipolar.  i was dx'd post surgery, though i am sure i was already bipolar before it.  so i cant say for sure.  but, the surgery sent me into a manic episode of MANIC proportions!  it was horrendous.  just make sure your dr is on your speed dial and you know your symptoms.

Boxermom
290/190/160  TT done
sw/cw/gw 

strawberrylove
on 7/17/12 9:10 am - Gibbons, Canada
Topic: RE: Serequel and weight gain
 Wow, everyone gains weight with the stopid Anitdepressants!
Hope you came off of them ok
what about calorie counting again?
What did you do 5 years ago that may have worked?
Wow does that ever suck 26 pounds!  

strawberrylove
on 7/17/12 9:06 am - Gibbons, Canada
Topic: lithium
 Hi there
Still rather new at this whole thing.....Weight loss, mental health, etc
Well, maybe not mental health as much.
I hate getting blood work done, not cause of the needles, cause of the results, lol, yeah I know, grow up....
So I am having more and more voices and a "sightings" of weird stuff, so I go to my doc, who is an amazing man, (important when there are voices) and he says, you have to get blood drawn.....
Results came back and wants to see me that day....
Lithium results waaaaaay too low, Vitamin B12 waaaay to low, thyroid (I did have one side taken out cause of cancer) just borderline of OK... Waiting for vitamin d to come back

So immediately my lithium is doubled, 4 injections of vitamin b12, and the other antidepressants.
So, as anyone else who is mental ill, hates taking damn pills.
But my question is if anyone who has had the surgery, do the mental blood work have to be perfect or do they know that it always a work in progress? before they decide to do the surgery, or am I know a horrible candidate?

brookemcd123
on 7/13/12 1:42 pm - Canada
Topic: Serequel and weight gain
I'm 5 yrs post op and have been at my goal weight for 4 yrs.  I've fluctuated up and down by about 5 pounds but never went any higher than that.  But 4 months ago I started serequel and as my dose was increased to 100mg I quickly piled on weight even though I didn't change my eating habits - 26 lbs in 7 weeks.  The last few weeks of those 7 weeks I was even trying to lose weight (diet etc) and I still gained 6 lbs. 

My dr. took me off it due to the weight gain and I haven't gained any more weight since going off it.  But now I'm stuck 26 lbs over my goal weight and can't seem to lose it.  Any help or suggestions?
brookemcd123
on 7/13/12 1:19 pm - Canada
Topic: RE: Serequel
I'm 5 yrs post op and started serequel about 4 months ago.  I didn't gain any weight at first (at 25 mg dose) but once I was moved to 50 mg and then quickly to 100 mg, I gained 26 lbs in 7 weeks.  The last 3 weeks I was even trying to lose weight (diet etc) and I still gained another 6 lbs.  My dr. took me off it due to the weight gain and I haven't gained any more weight since going off it.  Serequel definitely has different side effects for different people - for me it was weight gain and sleepiness.  Talk to your dr and make sure they understand that weight gain is not a side effect that you can live with. There are a lot of different meds out there so they can always try something else.  Good luck.
Missey J.
on 7/7/12 5:51 am - AZ
VSG on 08/27/12 with
Topic: Bi-Polar
Anyone here bi-polar and had surgery ?  Was wondering if things got worse or better for ya. I am waiting on insurance to ok me and then I get a surgery date. I am bi-polar with a history of depression and kinda worried.

Age 53, 5'2", HW 337, Pre OpW 312.5, SW ?, CW 286        
Caidkin
on 7/6/12 3:58 am - Canandaigua, NY
RNY on 07/02/12
Topic: 5th day out, cymbalta being absorbed?
 Ihad my surgery on Monday.   I had a **** of atavan in the hospital.  Now I'm out I don't think  getting all my cymbalta.  I'm feeling dizzy like I do I I miss a dose and I'm weepy.  I've been taking my Xanax to counteract.  Made an appt with my psy on tuesday.  Trying not to have "buyers remorse" because there is nothing I can do about it at this point.  Just freaking out.  Then I made the mistake of reading Al's ruined my life... Which is kind of throwing me over the edge.  Ugh
Just had my RNY on 7.2.12!!!!  WOOHOO!!!!!         
Jen 1959
on 6/13/12 8:32 am - NH
Topic: RE: Serequel
I am on Seroqeul , believe its been 3 yrs now and it has not affected my weight.

HOWEVER I recently have reverted back to my bad eating habits which got me fat to begin with.
I do not attribute this to the Seroquel though.

Surgery fixes our stomachs but not our brains and now I am back to junk food all day.
I need to get a grip .

Jennifer

RNY 5/30/08

S/W  236

C/W  115

boxermom
on 6/10/12 12:10 am - MI
Topic: RE: The thought of eating makes me physically ill.
sorry susie for taking so long to reply as i was inpatient for a manic episode.  i think you should first talk to your psychiatrist about this and make sure its not chemical.  once he changes or adjusts your meds then go forward with the cognative behavorial changes.  i think you're right, you are probably right about your adversion to food, obviously you need to find out why.

but, lets see what the psych says.  you know as well as i do, chemically, we dont absorb our meds like others and constant changes need to be made to our meds.

boxermom

Boxermom
290/190/160  TT done
sw/cw/gw 

Most Active
Recent Topics
For your education and support
Cathy W. · 2 replies · 785 views
Wellbutrin
merlin300 · 2 replies · 769 views
Best Healthcare Center
jungisstephens · 0 replies · 991 views
What triggers your anxiety