Recent Posts

kativa
on 3/8/13 9:00 am - Milpitas, CA
VSG on 03/18/13
Topic: RE: Depression

I've been diagnosed with severe major depressive disorder as well. I've struggled with depression my whole adult life. I'm currently on four different psychiatric drugs, have regular ECT treatments, and attend DBT class and individual therapy weekly. It's been a long road but I'm and am stable for the first time in four years. You may very well need to be on meds for the rest of your life, but know it can get better...just hang in there. Like someone else said a good therapist and psychiatrist are a must. Don't be too hard on yourself when you can't get moving and learn to accept the help.

Debbi

Virgie Tschirhart
on 3/2/13 9:11 pm - Midwest City, OK
RNY on 12/27/17
Topic: RE: Manic Depressive who needs a 2nd Revision? VSG to DS or RNY?

I need to stop and rethink things over. 

It may be a sign that I should not go under the knife again. 2012 has been absolutely horrible for me at work. I have been cheated out of overtime and when I blew the whistle I was moved to a different area where nobody likes to be.  My work leader got a temporary promotion to another area.  There was talk that I was going to take his place and get a temporary promotion as a lead.   Instead, I was sent to hell.  I filed a grievance with our Union and my Union Stewart told me to drop the case, because if I go to arbitration, management is going to be treating me even worse.  

Bottom line:  I hate my job and I want to resign.  I am too young to retire.  I can retire in 4 years.  I don't know if I can stand it there for another 4 years.  Just feel like everything is coming down on me at once.

We put a second mortgage on our house, so if I resign, we will have to downsize and my hubby said that we will probably have to owe.  We have some credit card debts to pay off too.  My son is graduating from High School this year and I wanted to buy him a used car.  

Money, money, money.  Since BCBS Federal will not cover my revision surgery I would have to self pay.  Only I don't have enough money to resign from work and pay for my revision.   

DS is really the one revision that I want, since I already have the Sleeve.  The cost is $22-25K.  

So, I must rethink & pray on everything.  Thanks for your input.  No, you did not sound preachy at all.  

Virgie Tschirhart

Lap Band - 2008, Sleeve - 2009, RYN - 2017

Started Program Weight July 13, 2017 - 194.2

Before Surgery Weight December 27, 2017 - 185.0

Current Weight - February 2018 - 161.0

Lauren B.
on 3/1/13 12:03 pm - Suffolk County, NY
Topic: RE: Manic frustrated

I'm Bipolar I and can say I feel healthy for the first time EVER! After surgery I worked relentlessly to find the right med mix. Now 3.5 years later, I've got it down. I'd attribute my success to finding the right doc (I've been through a few) and not being afraid to talk about your health in detail.

In one day I take: Lamictal 300mg, lithium 1450mg, thyroid pill 175mcg, Symbyax 12/50, Deplan 15mg, Vitamin D 50,000iu,

I'm hypothyroidic, but that is linked to depression, I also have low vitamin D that is also linked to depression. And on a side note, I am anemic from the surgery. I started taking supplements and a lot of the side effects that I was attributing to my meds, have gone away.

Lauren

Lauren B.
on 3/1/13 11:52 am - Suffolk County, NY
Topic: RE: Help! paxil not absorbing after RNY

I had horrible withdrawals too. Stay close to your do****il you get stable. DO NOT be afraid to say that things aren't normal yet.

Lauren B.
on 3/1/13 11:26 am - Suffolk County, NY

I'm sorry that you experienced so much trauma over the years. I hope things are less difficult in the days to come.

I'm bipolar I, and can tell you that it was a VERY long journey to get healthy after surgery. I was depressed before surgery and on an SSRI. Then the surgery! Immediately after I crashed hard. I believe it was because my SSRI wasn't being absorbed the same and I went into withdrawal. I went into a psychiatric hospital to get stable then. The problem is that "stable" isn't healthy. Anyway, I've spent time in hospitals, tried what seems like a million meds, had the wrong diagnosis, etc. 

Anyway, I tell you this to make a few points - 1) Surgery should not be taken on if you aren't healthy, 2) assume your meds will not work at all after surgery = have a plan with your doc on how you're going to stay stable at least, and healthy at best, 3) Weight loss is not enough to make you happy.

I TRULY hope I didn't sound preachy. I hate preachy people. Just wanted to pass along my experience. I'm healthy now, but realize it took 3.5 years after surgery to get there.

Lauren B.
on 3/1/13 11:12 am - Suffolk County, NY
Topic: RE: Wellbutrin

Hi there,

I took Wellbutrin shortly after my surgery, It didn't go well, lol. It just made me feel not right, and I suffered from one of the main side effects, agitation.

Lauren

Virgie Tschirhart
on 2/28/13 10:09 pm - Midwest City, OK
RNY on 12/27/17

Hi,

Thank you for the HUGS!  That might be true for me.  I just don't want to give up.  I found out that my BCBS Federal Insurance denied me because I was not in compliance the prescribed nutrition and exercise.  It was all my own doing.  

Dr. B.did my revision from the LB to the Sleeve (I did Self Pay on the Sleeve) documented in my record that I had LB in 2008, by another physician, BCBS covered the LB..   Dr. B. added to the report, patient quoted "I love carbs".  She was not in compliance with the prescribed etc......  

In 2011, I went to see a new doctor Dr. N. she was going to repair a haital hernia and said, since you did not reach your weight goal, with the Sleeve we could do the RNY at the same time if BCBS Federal would cover it a new surgery and repair the hernia.  Of course, BCBS Federal denied because of what was on my medical record from Dr B.   

Last week, Called Dr. N again she said why bother with BCBS Federal they will not approve you, they told me why, I did not know that was the reason. Because they only thing that I was told was the surgery was not medically necessary.  I called BCBS Federal myself and found out it was the medical report for Dr. B, can't put all the blame on him.  

So, I'm back to thinking and praying about the whole thing all over again.  Might do Self Pay for the RNY, I'm not sure.  I'm search for prices and of course a good surgeon.  

I appreciate your input.

Virgie

Virgie Tschirhart

Lap Band - 2008, Sleeve - 2009, RYN - 2017

Started Program Weight July 13, 2017 - 194.2

Before Surgery Weight December 27, 2017 - 185.0

Current Weight - February 2018 - 161.0

(deactivated member)
on 2/28/13 7:27 am - WA
Topic: RE: I have bipolar 1 and addiction issues, feeling pretty lonely and hopeless
Burr please message me if you need someone to talk to you. Think I can relate somewhat...
(deactivated member)
on 2/28/13 7:24 am - WA
Topic: RE: afraid my psych history will stop my surgery
This is true. The doc wanted to make sure I understood the surgery and lifestyle impact and how I managed my Bipolar I. Even after hospitalization I got approved no problem after explaining how my husband and I cope with my illness and my reasonable expectations of life after surgery.
H.A.L.A B.
on 2/28/13 2:41 am

HUGS... when you use food for comfort - even RNY may not work... and if you do end up with that - you may discover that you would need to try more or different medication for depression, Some people have issue with antidepressants after any WLS that includes malabsorbtion. 

I don't think RNY will work for you unless you can deal with food as comfort issue.   But best may be to talk to you doc and psychologist.

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Most Active
Recent Topics
For your education and support
Cathy W. · 2 replies · 785 views
Wellbutrin
merlin300 · 2 replies · 769 views
Best Healthcare Center
jungisstephens · 0 replies · 991 views
What triggers your anxiety
danmarc · 2 replies · 1700 views