Recent Posts

Patricia R.
on 8/13/09 10:03 pm - Perry, MI
Topic: RE: Anxiety/Insmonia - 3 weeks post op - Help!
I did not experience anxiety/panic after the surgery, but have had such episodes in my life.  I have also needed help with sleep, and in the past also been on Xanax for anxiety.

My first question would be to ask, who prescribed the Lunesta and Xanax?  Your primary doc, or a psychiatrist?  I would encourage you to discuss your symptoms with a psychiatrist.  Second, are you in therapy?  I would suggest you explore these episodes with a therapist.

What I have learned from my own experience is deep breathing exercises to cope with panic/anxiety.  I practice deep breathing several times a day, as well as when I am panicky.  Panic attacks only last about 6 minutes in general.  Deep breathing at the start helps get the oxygen to all parts of the body, which helps the body to physically respond to the rush of adrenaline.  That adrenaline is our fight or flight mechanism, and all the muscles tense up during that time.  The blood flow with oxygen helps relax them.  Plus, focusing on the deep breathing occupies the mind so the panic thoughts can't take over as much.

I hope this makes sense.  It has helped me tremendously.

Trish

Seek always to do some good, somewhere. Every man has to seek in his own way to realize his true worth. You must give some time to your fellow man. For remember, you don't live in a world all your own. Your brothers are here too.
Albert Schweitzer

Patricia R.
on 8/13/09 9:56 pm - Perry, MI
Topic: RE: My nerves are shot......
I would encourage you to seek therapy for a lot of different reasons.  Therapists are not doctors who prescribe meds, so they should not be telling you to take meds.  They can, and often will, refer you to a psychiatrist for an evaluation for medications, as mine did, and I have done.  Often, meds need to be re-evaluated, and adjusted, as we go through different life stages, or stresses. 

But, therapy is about learning your thinking patterns and behavior patterns, and how to change them, so that extremes in emotion and behavior become lessened, and life becomes more stable.  In therapy, I am learning coping strategies, and examining self-defeating patterns.

As for diagnosing you, only a mental health professional can do that for you, AFTER, you have been evaluated.  It is not an exact science, and there are often differences of opinion.  My therapist has never said I am bipolar.  He has diagnosed me with boderline personality, eating disorder NOS, and depression.  My psychiatrist has never said I am borderline.  He has diagnosed me with first depression, then bipolar disorder.  They did not disagree, just emphasized different things in my treatment.  As it is, it took months before my therapist even diagnosed the borderline personality.  To add to my complicated life, I am also an alcoholic *****lapsed after years of sobriety and am now in outpatient treatment for that as well.

I would encourage you to seek therapy, especially as you approach the changes that will take place with surgery.  A lot of emotions come up in the first few years, as food is no longer an outlet for dealing with things.  Learning the whys of eating is so helpful.

Feel free to PM me if you need to talk.

Trish

Seek always to do some good, somewhere. Every man has to seek in his own way to realize his true worth. You must give some time to your fellow man. For remember, you don't live in a world all your own. Your brothers are here too.
Albert Schweitzer

Patricia R.
on 8/13/09 9:45 pm - Perry, MI
Topic: RE: trying to get pregnant off meds and feeling upset...
Ditto on staying in close contact with the psychiatrist prescribing your meds.  It is vital that you work closely with the doc, and discuss all of your symptoms. 

Be safe.  Do you have any self-soothing skills you can use on a regular basis to help you ride out some of the extreme symptoms? 

Hugs,
Trish

Albert Schweitzer

Patricia R.
on 8/13/09 9:43 pm - Perry, MI
Topic: RE: Mental Eval on Monday and I'm cycling!!!!
Glad to hear the session went well.  For the most part, it is the compliance factor that they look at more than anything else.  Anxiety is normal for everyone, not just us bipolar patients.

Keep us posted on your journey.

Trish

Albert Schweitzer

Patricia R.
on 8/13/09 9:40 pm - Perry, MI
Topic: RE: If you have been required to have therapy...
I was already in therapy for 17 years when I had my surgery.  My eating disorder, Binge Eating disorder to be exact, was the reason I began therapy in the first place.  I later learned I had other diagnoses as well.  I have also done outpatient treatment for the eating disorder twice. 

I would not have been able to make some of the progress I have made if it were not for therapy.  Therapy is not a curse.  Therapists, the ones I work with as I am one myself, and the ones that have treated me, for the most part do not want to bleed you financially.  We ascribe to a code of ethics, and most live by that code.

Some helpful books to read while you journey include:

"The Beck Diet Solution" by Judy Beck.  It is based on Cognitive Behavioral Therapy.
"Anatomy of a Food Addiction" by Anne Katherine.  It discusses the addictiveness of food and eating behaviors and the brain's chemistry.

Albert Schweitzer

Patricia R.
on 8/13/09 9:35 pm - Perry, MI
Topic: RE: Has anyone asked OH...
You are right about both things.

Hugs,
Trish

Albert Schweitzer

Patricia R.
on 8/13/09 9:34 pm - Perry, MI
Topic: RE: Has anyone asked OH...
Marie is right on both accounts.  OH changed this forum's name to Mental Health a while back, as it used to be the addictions forum.  AND, addictions are diagnoses in the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual, IV-TR, that psychiatrists and other mental health professionals use in treating mental illness.  Not to mention, for treatment, insurance companies tap into the mental health benefits for payments.

Hope this makes sense.

Trish

Albert Schweitzer

susan in sugar land
on 8/13/09 11:56 am - SUGAR LAND, TX
As with health questions on the Main Board, you need to seek professional help to determine if you have any mental health issues.  Only a CERTIFIED, DEGREED, PROFESSIONAL therapist or psychiatrist can make that call.  Certainly not people off of a message board.  Good luck to you on your journey.
Elizabeth L.
on 8/12/09 5:57 pm - Rockford, IL
Topic: Anxiety/Insmonia - 3 weeks post op - Help!
I'm having a really hard time getting to sleep - and staying asleep.  Many nights, when I've finally fallen to sleep, I wake up 1 to 2 hours later, with a sudden Anxiety/Panic attack.  I sometimes take Lunesta to help with sleep, but it does not always work.  I've also got Xanax to take for the anxiety, but have been told not to take it if I've already taken the Lunesta.  I have not taken Xanax in the past, and am a little worried about developing a tolerance or dependence on it.  Has anyone had similar issues, and how did you cope?  Thanks!!

Elizabeth Long

RNY: 7/2009, Height: 5' 5", Start Weight: 265, Goal Weight: 160

deannhuss
on 8/12/09 3:08 pm - Pensacola, FL
You are so sweet....Thank you very much for the info....
Most Active
Recent Topics
For your education and support
Cathy W. · 2 replies · 789 views
Wellbutrin
merlin300 · 2 replies · 773 views
Best Healthcare Center
jungisstephens · 0 replies · 996 views
What triggers your anxiety
danmarc · 2 replies · 1706 views