Recent Posts

Patricia R.
on 8/15/09 11:30 am - Perry, MI
Topic: RE: Mental Eval on Monday and I'm cycling!!!!
I remember that anxiety very well.  That was the only time I worried during my whole pre-op process.  I was fortunate, because my personal psychiatrist did my eval and he worked with my therapist putting it together.  It helped that they knew each other too.  They were both in favor of me having the surgery, and were confident I could succeed in it.  

Just take it one day at a time, and utilize the boards here if you need to talk.  Feel free to PM me if you need to. 

Hugs,
Trish

Seek always to do some good, somewhere. Every man has to seek in his own way to realize his true worth. You must give some time to your fellow man. For remember, you don't live in a world all your own. Your brothers are here too.
Albert Schweitzer

mandajolyn
on 8/15/09 10:59 am - Tallahassee, FL
Topic: RE: Mental Eval on Monday and I'm cycling!!!!
It's something I take VERY seriously! Making sure I pay attention to what my Dr's tell me! I know some people choose to take their own routes, but for me personally I know that's not a safe thing to do and I'm not going to risk what could happen should I ignore my Drs.

Now I just get to wait, which is anxious enough, lol But I'm confident that the eval went well and that I'm clear minded enough and stable with a great support system in place so that I have every chance of success with this surgery!! My biggest worry is because I'm Bipolar and because there's a double depression Diagnosis and the anxiety that it will damage my chances of approval! I PRAY to God is Doesn't!!

"Be present for your journey, get to know who you really are and then be your authentic self with NO apologies"
You can follow my journey at mandaschange.blogspot.com
pregnancy calendar

deannhuss
on 8/14/09 11:50 pm - Pensacola, FL
Topic: RE: My nerves are shot......
**** HAPPENS is right...lol....
Amanda C.
on 8/14/09 9:18 pm - Bardstown, KY
Topic: RE: If you have been required to have therapy...
I am a therapist myself, and to ease your mind a little bit...you are in control of therapy. You collaborate with your therapist to decide what you want to work on. There will be very specific goals to work towards and therapist can give you an idea if the goal is a short-term or long-term goal (they can't, however, tell you how long it is going to take - that is up to you). Therapy is definitely something that can't be done to you. Your therapist is there to help you. And I will also say, fit with the therapist is key. If you don't hit it off with the first one, please say something to the therapist and he/she can recommend someone else. It does not hurt our feelings. It is less frustrating for both parties.

I think you will enjoy it. Most people are very apprehensive about it, but therapy is actually loads of fun. Just think of how much you enjoy talking over a cup of coffee with your best friend. That is the relationship you should be building with the therapist.

Good luck!!!!

Amanda

Patricia R.
on 8/14/09 5:13 pm - Perry, MI
Topic: Catching Up
Hi Everyone,
I have been away from this forum for a while.  No particular reason, except busy.  My grandson was born two weeks ago, and I was in Michigan helping my daughter with her house and my granddaughter who is two years old.  Had some difficulty dealing with my daughter, as she is hypercritical, and found fault with a lot of little things I did.  I handled her negativity quietly, by not engaging her about it.  We had a run-in in June, and I lost it then, and did not want to have a repeat while she was dealing with the post-partum hormones and sleep deprivation.  

So, on the way home from Michigan, I fell into a huge funk, and was hugely tempted to get drunk.  Ironically it was my 60 day anniversary of sobriety, and I really was not in a good place.  I called my sponsor and dealt with it.  

Most recently, I broke a toe on Friday.  It hurts like heck, and I am dealing with not being able to work my hospital job for this weekend, and I sorely need the money.  My doc wants me to see an orthopedist on Monday, as there is a chance I would need surgery.   I would rather work and pay bills, but such is life on life's terms.

Have a great weekend.

Hugs,
Trish

Seek always to do some good, somewhere. Every man has to seek in his own way to realize his true worth. You must give some time to your fellow man. For remember, you don't live in a world all your own. Your brothers are here too.
Albert Schweitzer

Patricia R.
on 8/14/09 12:25 pm - Perry, MI
Glad you are doing better.  Feel free to reach out anytime.  Life happens, or as my boss said to me today, "**** happens." 

I have a dear friend who I love to talk to about stuff with.  We are like soul sisters at work.  She always says, "Love doubles the joy and divides the pain." 

Hugs,
Trish

Albert Schweitzer

deannhuss
on 8/14/09 12:11 pm - Pensacola, FL

I just want to say thanks for being there for me if I need to talk. I feel much better now.

liveinphx
on 8/14/09 6:57 am - Phoenix, AZ
Topic: RE: If you have been required to have therapy...
On August 7, 2009 at 1:59 PM Pacific Time, beemerbeeper wrote:
I've been required to have therapy but the details seem pretty unclear.  How long?  What are the goals supposed to be?  Can the therapist just hold you hostage until he decides he has sucked enough money out of you and your insurance?

If you've had this requirement please let me know how it went for you.

Thanks!!

I am confused about who is "requiring" you to have therapy? Was this suggested after your pre-op psych eval? What did they tell you abuot why the felt you needed therapy?  Do you have a surgery date already scheduled or are you already post-op?
I know of several folks that therapy was strongly encouraged before their WLS. It was NOT to suck money out of the insurance company, instead it was about the therapist feeling uncomfortable recommending someone go ahead with WLS when there appeared to be significant issues that needed to be addressed.
I know that my being in therapy and addressing my issues as it related to food, eating, self image etc is to a huge degree what allowed me to be as successful as I have been over the past year.
I am had pressed to believe a therapist wants to hold you hostage just to get money out of you.

Whatever you do is it truthful, necessary and kind?
Lalocaweta
on 8/14/09 1:43 am - Spicewood, TX
Topic: RE: Has anyone asked OH...
Trish is right - OH used to have two separate forums.
Reality is that over 50% of those who have mental illness also have addiction issues. (I personally think it maybe an even higher percentage.)
Also, for some reason, many people still view mental illness as very negative while drug/acohol addiction is not quite so negative.

Anne
getelevated
on 8/14/09 1:34 am
Topic: RE: ANOREXIA...
I am so glad I came across your post.  I am only 3 weeks post-op, but I am completely repulsed by eating.  Nothing tastes good, the textures gross me out, and I am avoiding the high calorie foods I use to love.  I am drinking about 4-6 cups of 1% milk daily and taking 3 Flinstones chewables.  I add calcium supplements to my milk about every other day (this is up from only once the previous week, it is my main focus at this point). 

Did anyone else experience this repulsion to food??  Does it go away?  If not, I want to get help now before this becomes a hard to break habit, do I just go to a nutritionist?

Thanks in advance for any help or suggestions anyone has.
Most Active
Recent Topics
For your education and support
Cathy W. · 2 replies · 789 views
Wellbutrin
merlin300 · 2 replies · 773 views
Best Healthcare Center
jungisstephens · 0 replies · 996 views
What triggers your anxiety
danmarc · 2 replies · 1706 views