Recent Posts

Lalocaweta
on 8/27/09 4:32 am - Spicewood, TX
Topic: RE: mens mental health after gastric bypass
I am going to presume that it impacts men too - I know for many women - not only does the wls impact periods - it can impact PMS, etc.
You might see if anyone on the men's forum will answer this....(Without giving you too hard a time being on the "men's" site!)

Anne
Lalocaweta
on 8/27/09 4:31 am - Spicewood, TX
Topic: RAVE - OMG
I had quit counting how many days of sobriety I had - as I felt I needed to keep focused on one day at a time - and not how total days it had been. Then someone asked me today how many days and I had to look at the calendar.
As of tomorrow it will by 105 days....I am so happy - I cannot believe I have made it this long - longest period for me in many years.....without using some type of intoxicant - be it drugs or alcohol.
Anne
mandajolyn
on 8/26/09 7:57 pm - Tallahassee, FL
Topic: RE: Anxiety/Insmonia - 3 weeks post op - Help!
I take 2 mg Klonopin daily to help stop the anxiety and I take Trazadone before bed for the anxiety and it helps. I have severe insomnia and have tried a lot of things. Xanax and other drugs like it are  short acting and only stays in your system for a short period of time. My Dr told me to take Klonopin regularly so that it can help prevent the anxiety attacks from happening instead of only taking it when I have a panic attack. Plus the Trazadone so that I can sleep better. I've tried Lunesta, Ambien and none of them worked for me.

I'm bipolar as well so I have to take my mood stabelizors along with the others and I sleep like a baby. I take a Low dosage of Seroquel, Tegratol, Trazadone and Klonopin and they work to help me relax and sleep through the night.

"Be present for your journey, get to know who you really are and then be your authentic self with NO apologies"
You can follow my journey at mandaschange.blogspot.com
pregnancy calendar

janice2007
on 8/25/09 5:18 pm - clarksville, TN
Topic: mens mental health after gastric bypass
Is there a hormone that effects mens mental health after the weightloss? 
for the female, periods start or resume...

I know i heard something about estrogen being stored in fat...does that effect men also, and how?

thanks for any info

Patricia R.
on 8/21/09 10:16 pm - Perry, MI
Topic: RE: Binging due to my depression. Any tips on how to stop?
http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/overcomingbingeeating/discussion/

I visit the Overcoming Binge Eating Forum, and find it helpful.  I have been in therapy for twenty years for Binge Eating, Borderline Personality Disorder, Depression, Bipolar, and Alcoholism, just to name a few.  I also did outpatient treatment twice for eating disorders, and am currently in outpatient treatment for alcoholism.  Sometimes I feel discouraged that I am where I am after all these years of therapy.  But, then I look back to where I was twenty years ago, and see progress.

I have a list of coping skills that I sometimes use when I am tempted to self-destruct with food, or whatever.  Unfortunately, food is the hardest thing to resist, and rationalize.

Some books that have helped me include "the Beck Diet Solution" and "The Anatomy of a Food Addiction"

Hang in there.

Trish

Seek always to do some good, somewhere. Every man has to seek in his own way to realize his true worth. You must give some time to your fellow man. For remember, you don't live in a world all your own. Your brothers are here too.
Albert Schweitzer

Patricia R.
on 8/21/09 10:10 pm - Perry, MI
Topic: RE: Hey peeps
Hi there,
I am glad you found this forum.  As for depression, I have been on antidepressants for a very long time, prescribed by my psychiatrist.  I have been in therapy and on meds for about 20 years.  In addition to my depression, I have been treated for binge eating disorder and alcoholism.  

Many people struggle after WLS because we are not using food to deal with negative emotions.  Now, we must feel the feelings, and not numb out. 

My suggestion would be to check out some therapy, and get a psych eval.  I prefer that people get psych meds from a psychiatrist. 

Trish

Seek always to do some good, somewhere. Every man has to seek in his own way to realize his true worth. You must give some time to your fellow man. For remember, you don't live in a world all your own. Your brothers are here too.
Albert Schweitzer

Jackie McGee
on 8/21/09 5:45 pm - PA
Thanks Sarah! I'm going to look up that group now.

Proud mama of Mischa and Gabriel, both born post-op.

Sarah D.
on 8/21/09 5:43 pm - Waynesville, MO
I have bipolar disorder and my main coping skill for bingeing is sleeping kinda like you. But if I cant sleep I do gum. Or envision the thinner me. There is a group on here called overcoming binge eating. It's a really good group. Try getting on there. I'm on it. It's really helpful, plus people who dont check this board are on there and they have tips better than mine. Muchlove
Sarah
Jackie McGee
on 8/21/09 4:28 pm - PA
Topic: Binging due to my depression. Any tips on how to stop?

I was diagnosed with bipolar type schizoaffective disorder in 2005 and prior to that, I had been diagnosed from an early age with various forms of depression.

I am almost 6 months post-op (lap RNY) and today, due to stress beyond my control, I have been eating way too much which scares me because prior to today, I haven't been able to tolerate the foods I am binging on. Today I've had macaroni and cheese mixed with tuna, oatmeal cookies, tons of skim milk and water, a bowl of ice cream and countless numbers of popsicles. I'm currently experiencing dumping, but I still want to eat.

I'm currently at work for another few hours or else I'd just go to sleep.

I do go to counseling once every two weeks and that has helped me up until now.

I am on meds, an antidepressant and an antipsychotic.

Any tips on what I can do to control the eating?

Proud mama of Mischa and Gabriel, both born post-op.

almondsoylatte
on 8/21/09 8:28 am - Oklahoma City, OK
Topic: Hey peeps
hey everybody! i just came across this forum today and boy am i glad i found it!

lately ive been extremely depressed and feeling hopeless. and its not about my wls or my job or relationship (i thought for a second it was my boyfriend but its not..) just complete utter dissatisfaction with everything for no reason, nothing triggering it.

its subsided, but it was a rough week this week and im super glad im starting to feel a little bit like myself again :)

question for anybody on meds for their depression after wls, did you approach this with your surgeon or did you go to pcp for a script or how did you handle this?

please let me know!
thanks for everything!
-am <3

But you don’t
Always
Have to hold your head
Higher than your heart
~jack johnson~

Most Active
Recent Topics
For your education and support
Cathy W. · 2 replies · 789 views