Recent Posts

paperballet
on 10/13/13 5:12 am - fayetteville, AR
Topic: RE: Increase Rate of Suicide after Gastric Bypass

I have been in therapy for nearly the entire time i have been post op, 3 years in april/14. i was instructed to go by my surgeon because of anorexia. i was in the 130s and more depressed than i had ever been before as a pre-existing depressed person. when i went to therapy, i was given more tools for self-acceptance and healthy mindfulness. i believe this is the biggest tool that goes ignored post-op. THERAPY. 

how can any of us know what our bodies will do? i thought i would be thin, which i was, but not like a thin woman who was small her whole life. i was 270 pounds, then 130. my body looked like the elderly with skin folds, saggy boobs and stretch marks. it still, to this day, bothers me that no images of loose skin are celebrated, much less openly revealed. google loose skin and it's all about surgery AGAIN... so this idea of a thin happy lean life was a lie. for SURE it was a lie. in this weight loss community we don't have support or loose skin celebration.

i have a popular youtube channel and i try to get people to return to their mind and heart. meditation and spiritual growth, coupled with a shrinking body is hard at best- without it? jesus, i would have been another dead statistic. everyone just sees the weight loss. the outside. the clothes. even, and this may be the saddest part, my bbw friends only came back to being in my life after i took a active and very loud stance against the surgery.

does it save lives? heck yes. can it also kill a person? yup. gastric bypass changed all my meds, wellbutrin literally did not work the week after. i still have very serious depression, but i maintain an active and healthy view that weight loss isn't the primary reason. but i will say this: if [women especially] are used to a certain lifestyle with overweight friends and family members and lose a lot of weight, somebody is going to be an asshole, jealous - if not all. then there is an increase in risk of suicide and drinking/drugs because we're trying to numb the pain, which we can't do with food. then there is the regain, which happens... and thank God. for me, i finally, after eating everything all the time, got back to 150s. I am glad i am no longer obese, but let me tell you, the weight came off so fast, i was terrified of myself. my identity, sense of control over my life, how people viewed me [more as a piece of meat than as an intellectual woman] was so much- i nearly starved to death trying to crawl out of my skin.

i am a bold and fierce woman, i was pre-op and i am now. but it has been every week of meeting with my therapist to control my body issues and my depression. i pray for all of us. but mostly? i pray for a world where fat shaming DIES quickly so women of size can enjoy the skin they are in without debating if they are "worth it" or not.

we are all worth happiness. at every size.

pandasmash
on 10/8/13 12:28 pm
Topic: RE: How has having WLS affected your mental health?

its a double edge sword. its great but the person has accept the fact they will never enjoy food again. its a mental barrier. they'll be able to appreciate food though.

(deactivated member)
on 10/2/13 10:33 am
Topic: How has having WLS affected your mental health?
Majorly improved? Majorly worsened?

How were you before? How are you now? How have things changed?

I'm seriously considring WLS and this is a big concern for me and my loved ones.
I'd appreciate any details you're willing to share. You can PM me if you're not comfortable sharing on a forum.

Thanks!
coffeebean2003
on 9/25/13 5:48 am - Peterborough, Canada
Topic: RE: Starting a new anti-depressant tomorrow

I have been on Prozac since 1999 and about 3 years ago Wellbutrin was added. I take 60mg of Prozac and 450mg of Wellbutrin. This combo has been the best yet, even my husband says my depression/bipolar are in much better shape with the medication change. If I remember correctly both have side affects of not sleeping, so I take them in the morning. Although I take much higher doses plus a few more meds at night time I hope this helps a little.

Tracy

smallisland
on 9/17/13 1:35 am - Canada
VSG on 10/30/13
Topic: RE: BP II and bypass vs. sleeve

I saw my surgeon at the beginning of September and he is doing the sleeve on me as well ...mostly so my meds absorb properly 

Referral Feb 2012, Orientation at Guelph Nov. 29/12, RN, SW and NUT Feb. 13/12, 2nd RN, SW and NUT April 26/13, Dr. Agarwal May 7/13, SW May 22/13. HW 334lbs, CW 269 lbs. Post-op nutrition course August 1/13, Dr. Jules Foute Nelong Sept 9/13, PATTS Oct 9/13, Opti Oct 16/13, Surgery Oct 30/13.

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 9/13/13 11:02 am - OH
One of the things that is often overlooked, even by those of us in the mental health profession, is the prevalence of people believing that surgery is going to solve so many of their problems or things that they are unhappy with in their lives (because they believe that the weight is somehow at least partially to blame for those problems), and then becoming even MORE depressed after they have lost the weight and discover that the relationship issues, problems at work, etc. actually had nothing to do with their weight.

There have been two studies that I am aware of that show a decrease in levels of depression during the first year post-op when people are losing weight, and then a gradual increase in the depression over the following year so that depression levels closely match the pre-op level by the time someone is two years post-op. There are a number of things that may contribute to the increase in depression (body image issues because of excess skin, lack of full absorption of meds, unmet expectations, etc.), but disappointment that being thin doesn't automatically mean being happy is a BIG contributor.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 9/13/13 10:49 am - OH
I'm not sure where you got he information that we only absorb 33% of medication, because I have seen nothing in any medical literature that would support that OTHER than for extended release meds (which those with RNY and DS are not supposed to take, anyway).

I absolutely DO believe, however, that we do not absorb 100% of every medication, and have myself experienced pain medication not working as well post-op (whereas liquid pain medication and IV pain medication work just as well as always). Many people, though, have no change in the dosage of medications they were take in before surgery.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 9/5/13 1:52 pm
RNY on 08/05/19

I chatted with the surgeon today, and he said that grehlin is probably not what causes the weight gain from psych meds; it's probably some other hormonal interaction that "we don't know about yet" and that will need more research to figure out.

That being said, though, he said that the sleeve would be the best choice for psych-med-related weight issues because of the greater reduction in hunger compared to the bypass, which can be a side-effect from meds. There's also less concern about how antidepressants would be absorbed after surgery, which is important, too.

Looks like I'm getting a sleeve, then!

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 9/5/13 1:46 pm
RNY on 08/05/19

I had my first appointment with the surgeon today, and that's what he pointed out! I've decided to go for the sleeve for that reason, since sanity is a good thing :)

stephaniesjourney
on 9/5/13 1:14 pm

I can't really answer your specific question....but the one thing my surgeon stressed was the difference in procedures and your body's ability to absorb meds post op.  Because the rny results in malabsorption often times people with psych meds struggle....the meds need adjusted more frequently and the dosages may need to be higher b/c your system isn't absorbing everything right.  with the sleeve there are no malabsorption that results from the surgery...its a restrictive procedure.  As a result people have a tendency to be more stable with their drugs.  When i had my chat with my surgeon...she indicated that she wouldn't do the rny b/c of my bipolar situations and my use of psych drugs.... and with either...if you're taking anything with extended release those will need to be reevaluated.....sooo....can't really comment on your exact question but thought i'd throw in what i've learned so far......best of luck with your research and on your decision!! 

stephanie

Most Active
Recent Topics
For your education and support
Cathy W. · 2 replies · 785 views
Wellbutrin
merlin300 · 2 replies · 769 views
Best Healthcare Center
jungisstephens · 0 replies · 991 views
What triggers your anxiety
danmarc · 2 replies · 1700 views