Looking for advice

ASHLEIGH22
on 4/23/06 8:31 pm - BATON ROUGE, LA
Hey everyone well I have never posted on this board but I have some questions,, I have several addictions,, of course one being food,, I am ocd and have issue's with that,, but my quesiton has to do with drinking since I see alot of the last post are on that topic,, I was hoping yall could help,, Before surgery I probably got drunk or drank, I never got **** faced or anything,, I drank about maybe twice a month,, Well I never had my "last drink" and ever since I had the surgery I feel like I need AA I swear it is killing me,, me and my gf go out and of course I am the driver since I can't drink and she and all our friends have a good time and drink and so fourth its killing me,, I just want one drink soo bad,, ahh I never thought I was a alcholic but **** ,, maybe I am ,, I was wondering when did yall have a drink after surgery, how soon I mean,, I know all the other stuff like you can have fun without alchol and so fourth I don't need that kind of advice , just wondering what yall do,, is there some kind of sugar free margirita's!!!!
Vicketti
on 4/24/06 6:40 am - Arlington, VA
Ashleigh, There are sugar free margaritas. I found one. I was drinking cosmos with light cranberry juice. I started "social" drinking about 8 months after surgery. Before surgery, I was never a heavy drinker. I had been drunk a handful of times in my life, but I just preferred a nice glass of wine with dinner on occasion. But let me tell you what. Don't do it! I just got back from my surgeon and had blood work done, and THANK GOD, my body is within normal limits. He did say that ONE DRINK is equal to five for a normal person. So I was drinking a bottle of wine, which is the equivalent of 20 to 25 glasses of wine. Sometimes I was drinking two bottles a night, which is the equivalent to 40 to 50 glasses of wine. On occasion, I drank three bottles of wine, which is the equivalent of 60 to 75 glasses of wine IN ONE NIGHT!!!! Do you know what that does to anybody's body!!! It's not good. I'm very lucky to be alive!!! By the way, I have a friend who had surgery 3 years ago, and has been drinking steadily for the last year. A few weeks ago, she had a gastric bleed and almost died. And she now has renal problems. My surgeon says that we should NEVER drink. A few things that can happen. You can either trade one addiction (food) for another (alcohol). Or in my case, I have a genetic predisposition because of my mother. So one drink eventually sent me into alcoholism. Also, even if you're not predisposed, our bodies metabolize differently now, and it can have the same effect eventually anyway where you lose control. There are plenty of things you can do besides drinking. If you must go places where there are drinks, drink a virgin cosmo........cranberry juice and lime (my favorite). Drink seltzer or club soda with lemon or lime, etc.. Nobody has to drink........... I'm finally getting it. And if all of your friends drink and party, and it makes it uncomfortable, maybe you should start putting yourself in healthier situations. But it's up to you. What are YOU going to do to your body? Are you going to play it safe? Or are you going to be like me, thinking everything is all right, I can drink socially here or there, and it will never happen to me, and............................bam. It happened to me! It's your choice. Please don't take the chance. Vicky
ASHLEIGH22
on 4/25/06 5:14 am - BATON ROUGE, LA
Yea thanks for the advice,, I have heard you can't drink for a couple years after,, I have several friends who drink club soda with lime I'll have to try it,, can we have club soda??? thanks again
Lauretta
on 4/25/06 2:24 am - Fort Walton Beach, FL
Welcome, Vicky expressed it very well. Not everyone who drinks post op is an addict but some of us are. This is my experience. I started drinking not long after surgery. A little was much like a lot pre op. I found I was craving it to help me deal with stress. I was like this all my adult life but had used food as my drug of choice for many years. I joined a 12 step group and it has helped me deal with all of these issues. That too is not for everyone but it helps me. The physical aspect is a whole big issue. It just isn't good for us. I do not judge anyone and if a person wants to enjoy an occassional drink and is willing to risk the physical damage that is a personal choice. If you think you have a problem I think you probably do but only you can decide. Give it some serious thought. Be aware. There are support groups to help you if you feel you need that and always feel free to jump in here and ask about or read what is being said. Laurie
Most Active
Recent Topics
For your education and support
Cathy W. · 2 replies · 785 views
Wellbutrin
merlin300 · 2 replies · 769 views
Best Healthcare Center
jungisstephens · 0 replies · 991 views
What triggers your anxiety
danmarc · 2 replies · 1700 views