One size fits all? Wasn't true pre-op; isn't true post-op

Vicketti
on 4/11/06 9:06 pm - Arlington, VA
Hello group. I have posted a few replies on this forum. I did do a post on the general forum yesterday. But I thought I'd introduce myself to the entire forum here. I used to be an avid poster pre-op until about 6 months after surgery. Then life happened and I didn't have as much time. So I came back after a friend of mine, 3 years post, almost bled out this week because of alcohol. She's only had only 1 year (maybe a little longer) of heavy drinking, but our bodies don't handle it the same as a non-WLS person. Had a very courageous friend not taken her to detox, nobody would have known about the bleed (she was too drunk to notice any symptoms), and she would be dead today. Thank God for life! Anyway, I have a predisposition for drinking. My mother was an alcoholic and I dealt with it my entire childhood. I was so angry all of those years. I was the personality in the family most like to drink in my adult years because I was the kid who ended up playing "mom" to everyone beginning around the ripe old age of 8. So I have been very conscientious about it my entire life. I did not want to end up like my mom. After surgery, I was the model patient for about 8 months and did not drink a thing. The a glass of wine now and then with dinner. But my patterns changed. I started binging. But it would happen once and then I wouldn't drink anything for months. Then it would happen again. Then the time between the next binge was shorter. Until about 8 months ago, my binging was become very, very frequent. I had lost control. If I didn't drink, I was fine. If I had ONE drink (I love wine), then it would inevitably lead to a bottle or two or three sometimes. I wouldn't know this until I woke up and counted the bottles because of course I would black out. Never done that before! So this is now a very serious problem. I am willing to admit that. I'm very thankful that I've been able to catch it "fairly" early. But recovery is difficult. I look back at my anger at my mom all those years, and feel sad on one hand, but have a much clearer understanding about her situation. And 20+ years ago, alcoholism was looked at in a different way than it is now. I've found out, it's not a matter of willpower. It really is a phsyiological thing. Anyway, remember when we used to hate the phrase "one size fits all" because preop it really didn't apply to us? Well, it really doesn't apply now either. There are many options for recovery, and I have learned that you have to find out what will work specifically for you. Everybody was telling me AA was my only option......... or inpatient care. So I went to AA. And I do love every time I go because the people are amazing. The format of the meetings frustrate me because, to me, you essentially vent and get no feedback. But at the end of the meeting, there are always very caring people who would approach me. But just FYI, let me tell you what works for me. It still may not be the right answer for anybody else here. But there is another forum called Women For Sobriety (www.womenforsobriety.org). They have sort of a 13-step program, but it's affirmations. It has the same purpose as AA: don't pick up the first drink. Remain abstinent. The only bad thing is they don't have meeting everywhere because it's not as well recognized, but they do have a great forum: http://groups.msn.com/WomenforSobriety For the physical side of my addiction, I am reading the book "7 Weeks to Sobriety". This program makes sense to me because it's about determining the damage to your body and fixing it at the physical level. It's all about nutrient load since our bodies get so depleted of vitamins, minerals, etc. So I went on their website and bought the "Detox forumla". I've been sober 12 days. I've been using the formula 6 days, and I feel great. And no cravings. Part of the formula is designed naturally to eliminate cravings. This program claims to have a 75 percent success rate. And it's all natural supplements. No drugs to substitute the alcohol. They also have an inpatient program. So if I were to every need a program, that's where I would go especially because of our new bodies. Nobody else looks at the bottom-level nutrient deficiencies. And that's what we really need or we have other problems. Their website is www.healthrecovery.com. But, most importantly, no matter what program you work, if you don't know about this, here is the biggest gem you will take out of my message. L-Glutamine!!!!!! It is an amino acid you can find in the vitamin stores. It helps to stop the cravings for alcohol and sugar. My program now has me taking 5 grams three times daily. Also, if you're having a bad craving, you can open one capsule (usually 500 mg or more), and place the powder under your tongue. And it works. I had terrible, terrible cravings. Like I said, I didn't have to drink everyday. But as my problem was getting worse, so were my cravings, and I ended up drinking every day. L-Glutamine does help. Again, one size does not fit all, but these are the things that are working for me. However, they're not very mainstream, so I just wanted to put the info out there for anybody else who might want to try something new. Have a wonderful Tuesday! Vicky
Lauretta
on 4/12/06 6:40 am - Fort Walton Beach, FL
Vicky, Thanks for the info! I will check all of this out. I can always use some new input. You are right. I am very happy in my program but I am well aware there are other avenues. I struggled against my addiction with some success all my adult life but it just wasn't enough for me. I need the support of my group. I always found I acted out in a new and equally dangerous manner. Today I welcome all new ideas and keep an open mind. Have a wonderful day yourself! Laurie
*~ Dayner Dee ~*
on 4/12/06 7:19 pm - East Burbs, MN
Hey Vicky~ Your experiences growing up are very similiar to mine. Thanks for sharing your story and information. All my best to you! Dana
Cheri C.
on 4/15/06 3:30 pm - Juneau, AK
Vicky, Thanks for sharing your story. You're so right - we have to work a program but the program also has to work for us. It sounds like you've found the one for you. Keep doing what you're doing. Cheri
Most Active
Recent Topics
For your education and support
Cathy W. · 2 replies · 785 views
Wellbutrin
merlin300 · 2 replies · 769 views
Best Healthcare Center
jungisstephens · 0 replies · 991 views
What triggers your anxiety
danmarc · 2 replies · 1700 views