Out with the old...

vickiang
on 3/19/06 11:45 pm - Austin, TX
in with the new. My cheap self had a bit of a problem giving away "expensive, good, tailor made" clothes in sizes 24,22,20,18,16,14,12. But I've come to look at it this way. Yes, I sometimes get a thrill shopping. It's not like I'm a gambler, but everything fits! I now don't buy whatever fits,I actually have to choose. It's going to take a bit of self restraint to not buy something because it fits and looks good. If it duplicates something I have at home or if I'll never wear it, I should't buy it no matter how good it looks. (still, I brought back the evening gown!!) I spent at least $10 a day on booze. My deeply discounted beautiful hats (2 of them) were the same. Certainly those 2 hats will give me more pleasure than a 12 pack, and they are a visual and physical reminder to me (much like wearing tight pants when I have to cut back on eating...aaaah! the games we play!) Finally, there is a huge psychological benefit to casting out the old. I wore my old clothes way too long, and I always felt I hadn't really progressed and changed. When I finally chucked them and got things that fit my body and personality, the transformation was staggering. Everyone noticed it, but most importantly, I did. It gave me a huge dose of self-esteeem and helped me redefine my perception of myself. So, see? Shoes aren't so bad!!! I assume you bought them on sale LOL! Vicki
Lauretta
on 3/20/06 1:27 am - Fort Walton Beach, FL
Oh Vicki, You are singing my song! Seriously I agree 100%. Yes, all sale items. Even my hubby has no problem with the purchases I make today. I really do think before I buy which is a change. I used to shop as a fix. Today I do the same as you. I buy what I need or replace something that does not work anymore. I feel cautious sometimes because I know this is an area that I could get out of control in. Awareness. I always loved clothes. Obesity robbed me of feeling good tho. I kept shopping tryng to find an outfit that made me feel good. Never happened. Today I buy clothes that look good on a woman I like. I do get attatched to my new clothes and have this desire to find people to give them to rather than toss them in the Goodwill box. Looking good when you FEEL good is such a reward. My son works in a high end dept store and sells shoes! I never thought I would have a grown son who knew more about womens shoes than me??LOL! laurie
lorien
on 3/20/06 8:42 pm - morris county, nj
oh man ain't that the truth! As a tight 3x, if something went around me, it fit . . . Now as an 8-10, I'm a heck of a lot fussier. If it doesn't talk to me, if it doesn't look exactly how I want it to look, I don't buy it! Shoes? Can we say Birkenstocks!? I've got them up the ying yang . . . ugly as heck, but boy are they ever comfortable. Actually I'm having a harder time finding clothes now than I did when I was fat. I'm only 5' tall, so I'm finding everything is so overwhelming on me, soooo long. Even petites are too dang long. Can't someone event an operation to make my legs longer???
Lauretta
on 3/21/06 12:09 am - Fort Walton Beach, FL
Hi Linda, I have to laugh about the petite thing. I always wore average. At 5'3" I found petites too short. I do not know if they changed the sizing but average is too long now. I love to bargain shop I have a hard time finding things on sale in petites so I spend the extra $10 to have them hemmed. I still get a good price. Tall shoes would help but my knees won't tolerate that anymore. I have the worst trouble because I have this pendulous stomach and big boobs! I spend my most on good underthings! Laurie
lorien
on 3/21/06 1:12 am - morris county, nj
Oh, I am convinced that they're making them longer . . .especially the high end stores, like Anne Taylor . . . I have to actually have their petites cut. And some so called petites only shorten the length, so the waist is up under my boobs. If you're short, have you tried LL Bean or Lands End. Lands end, bless 'em, will hem your pants for free! And LL Bean's petites actually fit me. As far as the tummy thing goes, I splurged on cosmetic surgery. Had my apron removed. Of course that's one loan I'll be paying off for a long time, but its so worth it. Especially in the warm weather. Yuck.
Most Active
Recent Topics
For your education and support
Cathy W. · 2 replies · 785 views
Wellbutrin
merlin300 · 2 replies · 769 views
Best Healthcare Center
jungisstephens · 0 replies · 991 views
What triggers your anxiety
danmarc · 2 replies · 1700 views