UPDATE, EMBARRASSED, ASHAMED!!!

Lauretta
on 3/20/06 1:51 am - Fort Walton Beach, FL
Oh Yeah, My hubby did not get it. Still isn't sure he does understand the obsession. But, he does believe me. He is very supportive and I am grateful. He thought it was weird to go to meetings. Soon he saw how good I was feeling and the change in my behavior. I could go to meetings twice daily and he would be okay with it because life is so much better for all. " When mama ain't happy ain't no body happy". DH goes to parties and celebration with me but not regular meetings. He even when on a retreat! He loves many of the people and more important respects them for knowing they have a problem and doing something about it. I did not expect the level of support he has given me but I sure am happy to have it. It takes time. He still doesn't really understand. If I had a drink he would say are you okay with that? Just be careful. Never will understand how that opens a can of worms for me. It is my responsibility to check myself not his. Laurie
Loril
on 4/1/06 12:23 pm - Hopkins, MN
Just wanted to chime in with my similarities to your post. But the hiding the evidence in my trunk is from my 15-yr-old daughter. I also look forward to the wknds she's at friends or at dad's house to feel that *whew*, I understand and feel your guilt. I know exactly what you're thinking. It's funny that you use the word "pathetic"...that is the word my daughter used to describe me once. That hurt. I/you am/are not pathetic. Other things, yes. But not pathetic. Sometimes I justify it to myself, because I truly did not drink (yes, I drank and sometimes to excess. At weddings, at gatherings or the like, but that amounted to about 5-6 times a year and never had libations in my house EVER, just went out). But now at 18 mos post surgery it's about every other day. And I do want to seek help because I know, for me, it's a replacement for food (or it started to be anyway, it may have taken on its own life now cuz I enjoy it in the moment--altho the next day sux guilt-wise.) Sometimes physically, but mostly guilty. My tolerance is so high I'm embarrassed compared to what I could drink 100 pounds ago. (I did switch from mixed drinks pre-op to beer, but I don't know what that means) So from a fellow MN to you. Hang in there. Don't feel pathetic, you are not. Like I said, there are many adjectives to choose from-pathetic is NOT one of them. Lori
Lauretta
on 4/4/06 1:37 pm - Fort Walton Beach, FL
Lori, Self loathing. Ouch! Strange as it seems we are pretty self absorbed even if it is in a negative way. My sponsor says," I may not be much but I am all I think about". We are our own worst enemies. I am gald to see your post. It is so important to not isolate. I was convinced no one else felt like I do. No one would understand. It kept me stagnated. Take care of yourself. Hiding your drink in the trunk? I am sorry you feel you have to do that. My guess is she knows or soon will. Laurie
Most Active
Recent Topics
For your education and support
Cathy W. · 2 replies · 785 views
Wellbutrin
merlin300 · 2 replies · 769 views
Best Healthcare Center
jungisstephens · 0 replies · 991 views
What triggers your anxiety
danmarc · 2 replies · 1700 views