Hi, my name is Madeline and....

Northstar
on 2/21/06 8:30 am - Struthers, OH
Hi every one, I am Madeline and I am an addict. I have been clean for 22 years but have developed a problem with food. I had RNY surgery in december 2005 in an attempt to interupt the process and begin a new recovery. I find that because I have both problems I have trouble finding support in the anonymous fellowships. I have a home in NA but many of my freinds and loved ones do not get the food thing or have not come to terms with their own food thing. It is lonely. Well I am realy glad to have found this forum. Perhaps I will find some kindered spirits here Madeline
lorien
on 2/21/06 8:22 pm - morris county, nj
Welcome! Madeline, I've always said that food was my drug of choice. And unfortunately its a choice we have to face each and every day, we can't put it in a back closet and forget about it. "Normal" family members just don't understand and never will. Hang in there! Hugs, Linda
Lauretta
on 2/26/06 10:43 am - Fort Walton Beach, FL
HI Madeline, I am fortunate because an number of the members of NA locally have also had wls. In my area many of the members do get the food thing because they recognize it as an area they act out on their addiction. I came to NA after my surgery. It has been a marvelous tool to help me stay on track post op.Contact me any time now that I can actually get my emails! LOL laurie
cmonkey
on 2/28/06 1:02 pm - Menomonie, WI
Kindered spirit responding! I am a recovering addict too. I turned to food as well; or maybe back to food. I think the food was my first drug of choice and I didn't know it. After I quit smoking cigarrets (two years ago), I really started packing it on. I felt very defeated; and was tempted to relapse just to stop the crazy eating. I decided on the surgery (RNY) because I was really starting to have other health problems; and I have a very significant family history of Diabetes. In the process of pursueing the surgery, I started putting more things into perspective; like how significant my addiction to food had become. However, I too find that the support I received from NA with my chemical dependence doesn't seem to be there with the food problem. I can talk about it; but it's like no one relates or like you said ;others are not at a place with their own food addictions that they can respond. I am glad a had the surgery. I have no regrets at this point. It is easier for me to distinguish real eating from addiction eating. I still struggle with the addiction eating; I think I should eat; because in the past that is what I used to make myself feel better. Now, I have to deal with life on life's terms; and it's hard some days. keep in touch amy [email protected]
Most Active
Recent Topics
For your education and support
Cathy W. · 2 replies · 785 views
Wellbutrin
merlin300 · 2 replies · 769 views
Best Healthcare Center
jungisstephens · 0 replies · 991 views
What triggers your anxiety
danmarc · 2 replies · 1700 views