To weigh or not to weigh

vickiang
on 2/15/06 11:54 pm - Austin, TX
Gordo, my 12 yr. old son, is very serious about tennis. He, as most pre-teen and teen boys do, is eating like a fiend. He has developed a tummy and is getting a *****ubby. His tennis teacher said if he's serious, he should exercise more and drop a little weight. He seems quite concerned at times. Others, he just bulldozes his way through the refrigerator. Should I get him his personal scale so he can monitor his weight, or would I be creating neurosis? You know he has the genes on both sides of my family, none on his Dad's. Don't know if that's a factor. Vicki
vickiang
on 2/16/06 12:19 am - Austin, TX
My personal opinion is that I'd rather he not go there. But I don't know whether or not I should give him the choice. We eat healthy food...God only knows what he eats at school. I think he'll shoot up when he hits puberty; maybe even become a bean pole. We live in a neighborhood where kids his age have personal trainers and call the barber their stylist (hair color and all! Ugh!). Heck! I don't evn have a personal trainer! And my hair is overdue for color too! Vicki
Lauretta
on 2/16/06 1:01 am - Fort Walton Beach, FL
Oh boy this is a hard one. My 16 yr old his a big guy. 6"3" and 240#. He carries some flab. He lifts weights plays football and will be a very big man. He gets self conscious at times but is not very good at staying away from treats. He drives and can eat what he wants. I offer good choices. We have talked but I have to be very careful because it affects his self esteme. I walk a narrow line on this. I am not sure if I handle it well. I try. My 21 yr old son was chubby in Jr high but was thin in high school. At 21 working, college, and living on his own he tends to gain weight but can lose quickly if he tries. My daughter is a dancer and works out like crazy but has to continue to work out when dance is over or will be bigger than she likes. He is at an age that is so touchy. His body is changing. Be sure to tell him that. Keep the communication open. Ask him what you can do to help him grow into a healthy good looking guy. Just do not do it too often or my experience is they stop listening. Laurie
Most Active
Recent Topics
For your education and support
Cathy W. · 2 replies · 785 views
Wellbutrin
merlin300 · 2 replies · 769 views
Best Healthcare Center
jungisstephens · 0 replies · 991 views
What triggers your anxiety
danmarc · 2 replies · 1700 views