How do you know if you've got a problem?

lorien
on 2/2/06 1:15 am - morris county, nj
I'd like to throw out a question to those of you who've been sliding down this slippery slope before me. I'm 3 years out from RNY, at goal, so no problems there. But, I've started enjoying my beer a bit too much. I work 2 jobs, and am in a state of perpetual exhaustion. It started with one beer in the hour or so I've got after the 2nd job before bed, just to get me to sleep quick. I've begun to really enjoy that quick buzz, and one beer became 2, and sometimes 3 if I've got a night off. While I'm worried that I'm on a slippery slope to a very large problem, I'll admit to enjoying the buzz! Any input or advice?
Lauretta
on 2/2/06 1:50 am - Fort Walton Beach, FL
Linda, I can only share my experience... if you think you might have a problem you probably do. The insanity is doing the same thing over and over expecting different results. It is a slippery slope and wls makes it easier to get a buzz. Sure I miss that buzz, along with it came a lot of unmanagability in my life. For me a 12 step program works I love sitting in a room full of people who understand how I feel. Food can easily be replaced by other things to give the comfort we got from it. I hear it said and believe it that addiction is a disease of feelings and emotions, using drugs, alcohol, food , shopping, sex, whatever.. is a symptom. Laurie
Danny Riggs
on 2/2/06 7:42 am - Houston, TX
I, too, can only share my experience here. I began to think I might have a problem well over a year before I was able to admit it. Many of my recovering friends often told me, "If you THINK you have a problem, you PROBABLY do." If you want to do a little safe research, find a meeting for AA in your area and go check it out. Don't listen to how you may be different from everyone else in the room, listen to how you are similar. Whatever you decide, please know that there are people who will love and support you when you need it most.....like right now.
Lauretta
on 2/2/06 8:16 am - Fort Walton Beach, FL
Oh how true! They said let us love you until you love yourself. I go to NA but have been to AA. I am able to get what I need at AA just made my home in NA. Fortunately there are many options and each home group is a little different. I found one that I liked. Going on a cruise soon. They have meetings there too!! Friends of Bill W they are called. It should be interesting. Laurie
lorien
on 2/2/06 8:39 pm - morris county, nj
Thanks guys for caring! It is nice to know I'm not alone in this. I have gone so far as to at least peek at the AA website and look at local meeting spots. How long it will take me to get there, who knows? Continued success to all of you. Have a fabulous weekend! Linda
Lauretta
on 2/2/06 10:36 pm - Fort Walton Beach, FL
Linda, Good for you! Give it a chance. I can tell you want to have the best quality life has to offer. No one picks addictive behavior but we can make a choice to do something about it. I am off to the Magic Kingdom. My daughter is dancing in the National Competition! I may even go on a ride or two now that I fit!!LOL You have a good weekend too. Laurie
Most Active
Recent Topics
For your education and support
Cathy W. · 2 replies · 785 views
Wellbutrin
merlin300 · 2 replies · 769 views
Best Healthcare Center
jungisstephens · 0 replies · 991 views
What triggers your anxiety
danmarc · 2 replies · 1700 views