quitting smoking

brooke_k
on 1/26/06 7:15 am - luling, LA
Yeah, I don't think I could have done this without the patch. I was teasing DH the first day we quit I was going to be on the news for sure, "Dead, fat woman found in house with 3,000 nicoderm patches stuck to her body." Go to your PCP and tell them you are trying to quit. They will give you a 'script of Welbutrin to help with the "head cravings" THESE HAVE HELPED ME TONS with the stress and anxiety of quitting. I am still smoke free and I never thought in my life I could quit! I have smoked a pack a day (sometimes more) for 20 years!!! I just keep taking deep breaths whenever I get "that feeling" that I really want a smoke. Breath deep through your nose and then slowly let the air go out of your mouth. You can put your hand on your tummy to feel it moving in and out if that helps. I also try to keep my eye on the goal. When I am all skinny and sexy after this surgery, I won't have time to sit around and smoke, my little B-HIND will be MOVING!!!! Another thing my Doc told me about is to cut a straw up. As soon as you get a really big urge to smoke, start sucking at that staw until you turn blue in the face hahaha i did it a few times when I was desperate. Also, the "NIC fits" only last 3-5 minutes at any one time. Just keep breathing for those 3-5 minutes and your over that nic fit. With each time you conquer a nic fit you get that much stronger!!!!! Another thing that has helped are Dum Dum suckers. I know post op people can't suck on them but since I am pre op I am not worried. After finishing the sucker, I leave the stick in my mouth until it's chewed up hahahah I know that sounds kind of gross and not the most civilized but I am not doing this for anyone else but me so i don't care, what works, works!!!! Send me an email if your really wanting a buddy to help you through this! Brook
Lauretta
on 1/26/06 8:21 am - Fort Walton Beach, FL
Hi Brook, I am currently smoking after 14 years quit. I just do not have the willingness now. However, in the past I had great success by substituting Nice throat lozenges. The are sugar-free so my teeth did not suffer and they give off that menthally vapor that satified my need to feel the smoke. Just a suggestion. It worked and I was off cigs many years. Post op stress and family stress took me back to them but drinking and medication was the other option at that point so.....I will have to work back to non-smoking status eventually! Good luck, Laurie
Most Active
Recent Topics
For your education and support
Cathy W. · 2 replies · 785 views
Wellbutrin
merlin300 · 2 replies · 769 views
Best Healthcare Center
jungisstephens · 0 replies · 991 views
What triggers your anxiety
danmarc · 2 replies · 1700 views