quitting smoking

brooke_k
on 1/18/06 9:10 am - luling, LA
Hey guys! I started posting on the regular boards a few days back. I am trying my best to break the smoking habit. It has been 5 days since I had a smoke. When does the cravy end? Anyone out there need a stop smoking buddy to go through this with me??? It totally sucks but I am doing it. I didn't think it was going to be this hard!!!! Brook
vickiang
on 1/18/06 11:52 pm - Austin, TX
I've never smoked, except once in front of my father when I was in college to **** him off, but I've heard it's the hardest of all addictions to kick. I admire you for having 5 days. The first two weeks of anything, to me, are the toughest. Hopefully a fellow smoker out there, current or past, can help you walk through this. Been there done that, still there, want to leave, doesn't matter imo if you have someone to relate to. Just try not to smoke today and maybe you can post tonight and tell us how it went. Vicki
Salina
on 1/19/06 9:11 am - suburban, MI
Hi Brook, It's been 2 weeks for me and you're right, it is the hardest thing I've ever done but it gets easier day by day. I was a 2 pack a day smoker. When I get a bad craving, I chew gum, I take deep breaths and I drink a glass of water. I noticed I'm eating more and I won't be able to do that after I have surgery on the 31st. I wish more smokers or ex smokers would speak up. I think alot of people are embarrassed to admit they smoke and are struggling with it because it's so taboo nowadays. Here are some websites I found helpful: http://quitnet.com/ http://www.quitsmokingsupport.com/index.htm Good luck Salina
brooke_k
on 1/19/06 10:01 am - luling, LA
thanks Salina. I do think your right about the not speaking up. this quitting is taking it's toll on my DH and myself. For some reason be both have very sore joints. I can't find anywhere that it a withdrawal symptom but I think it might be since we both have it. I am also coughing up all kinds of icky stuff. I am hoping it all ends soon. I know I want to quit to have my surgery, and to be healthy. I want this morning than anything and have been keeping that on the front of my mind when I get a craving. This is day 6 so I have to be doing something right! Thanks for the links, I will check them out Brook
lgoodwin
on 1/20/06 12:23 am - Yukon, OK
I sympathize with all the smokers. I was a 2 pack a day smoker and I don't have a surgery date yet. My surgeon says to quit at least a month before surgery. I am trying quit but it is very hard. I think this is the hardest hurdle to get over so far for me anyway. If anyone has any suggestions please let me know. I find smoking is my relaxation and way to wind down or deal with stress. It seems to calm me down. Congratulations to anyone who has kicked the habit, I am proud of everyone that has done quit or is quitting and being successful.
brooke_k
on 1/20/06 12:39 am - luling, LA
I am still smoke free. I know it totally sucks girl!!!! I hate every single second of it. I am dreading getting into my car because i know I smoke more while driving. I hate every single second but you know what? I am doing it!!!!! I am really kicking its butt =) i am using the patches and that helps. The doc also gave me a script that is supposed to help me with withdrawals. I am not sure which is working more since i am doing both plus chomping down 30 dumm dumm's a day hahahah I don't care about gaining weight as long as I can quit. everytime I get weak and want a smoke I remind myself 2 things 1. if I want this surgery as bad as I say I do, time to pay the piper 2. if I cheat even 1 drag, I have to start all over from the beginning to get the junk out of my system. that would mean a week more worth of withdrawals!!! I dont have a ton of will power and could not go through this AGAIN...I am too scared to go through it again!! I have always been a heavy smoker. I tell people I am quitting and they fall over in shock hahahah they never thought I would quit!!!!! I have yet to reap any of the rewards from quitting. My lungs hurt, my chest hurts, my muscles hurt, I am tired and cranky and then when I try to sleep I can't. I am coughing and spitting up something like looks like a gremlin. I just keep running it through my mind I have to quit to have this surgery. I even thought of cheating and telling the doc I quit when I didn't. I then read how they do 2 pre op test that red flag smoking: they do a urine test in which they can test for nicoteine and the the blood ox test which tests for CO2 in your system. There is no faking it...the doc will know and may refuse to do the surgery the day before I am supposed to have it because I had to be dumb and fake it. I am following the rules this time and doing it right!!! That was just as much a pep talk for those reading this as it was for me. Now, i have to go brave my smoke smelling car to run errands and not give in. Maybe I can hold my breathe for an hour????? I see myself going through 30 dumm dumm's just in the car AACKKKK
Mary Williams
on 1/20/06 9:18 pm - Sarasota, FL
The patches are a wonderful tool. I quit 13 years ago. Used the patches for two weeks then cold turkey. They help with the worst of the nicotine withdrawal if you are a heavy smoker (I was smoking three packs a day) then I did it on my own after that). Don't let yourself get too tired too hungry or too upset about anything. Deep beathing, find things to occupy your mind. Drink lots of water. And, of course, get rid of all ash trays, cigs and don't be in an environment of smokers. Best of luck. You can do it.
vickiang
on 1/22/06 7:57 am - Austin, TX
I heard this is the hardest of them all. Is it true? Vicki
vickiang
on 1/22/06 8:02 am - Austin, TX
Withdrawal is a *****! It hurts. It takes time. No fun. But to come out the other side is wonderful! Vicki
mjhbear7
on 1/26/06 6:51 am - Cleveland, OH
Ill be your stop smoking buddy! I need help! I have tried to stop everyday this week and everyday I say forget it. I have done it before withthe help of the patch for six months... I think I better go buy that little sucker. Maris
Most Active
Recent Topics
For your education and support
Cathy W. · 2 replies · 785 views
Wellbutrin
merlin300 · 2 replies · 769 views
Best Healthcare Center
jungisstephens · 0 replies · 991 views
What triggers your anxiety
danmarc · 2 replies · 1700 views