Another alcohol post...

malanat
on 11/9/05 6:05 am - Park Forest, IL
I just found this forum today and was so glad to have found it. I had my surgery January 12 of this year. I am down 102 pounds and feeling great, although I have another 28 more pounds to go. I recently started going to therapy because I realized I was at the beginning stages of alcoholism. I can drink a LOT...Monday night (over an 8 hour period) I drank 3 BOTTLES of wine. I have no idea what happened because I don't remember but when I woke up Tuesday morning to go to work I was still pretty tipsy and fell down some cement stairs (now on crutches and a knee brace). I feel pretty stupid. I am going to my first AA meeting tomorrow night - am trying it out with a Speaker's meeting. I have read through several posts, and this seems like a warm, caring, and encouraging group. I had this surgery to be healthier, and this summer I started drinking and smoking again. It is so nice to have a place to go to to be honest and have warm reception. Thanks again, all! Elaine
blingbling4life
on 11/13/05 8:23 am - Crompond, NY
Hi Elaine! I know exactly what you're talking about. I can (and have) drink 3 bottles of wine in one night. I started AA sept 13th and fell of for a night or two. But it's a process. We were food addicts and can switch our addictions rather than looking at what's behind them. I'm currently seeing someone, going to groups and it's hard. I'm glad that you're okay and if you ever need to talk, e-mail me...there's a lot more to my story. Thinking of you, Christine
NotsoTubbyAnymore
on 11/16/05 10:13 pm - MO
Boy, do I need to be here. I've maintained a 100 pound lost, got a new job that has me traveling back and forth across the states, and all in the last six months! Great news, right ? Then why am I slamming down two martinis a night, knowing full well that it knocks me out faster than lightning - especially now that I've had the surgery??? Here's the real stupid part - the job I have is working with people with liver disease. No, I don't have any issues - yet, but the facy is, as post GB patients our liver are working overtime anyway. So, help me guys. I'm really tired of the guilt I feel AFTER drinking. Been away from the board for awhile. Think I'll visit here more often. NSTA
vickiang
on 12/9/05 8:37 pm - Austin, TX
Visit daily. Get up 15 min early if you have to. For me, I'm not a big fan of the band-aid approach-getting my support at the end of the day when I've already stressed out or messed up and am more likely to reach for a "nice" ****tail. I like to start the day getting an attitude adjustment before my feet ever hit the pavement. It makes me feel connected, accountable and AWARE (no ostriches, please!). Maybe you can try it for awhile and see if it works for you. I'm going to start, so you'll be getting sick of my verbosity pretty soon enough! Vicki
kizie23
on 11/19/05 11:11 am - blacksburg, VA
Elaine, I really hope things work out with your groups. You have made the first step and that is to admit that you have a problem. If you would like to talk more, just to get things off you chest sometimes you can email me directly at [email protected] ps.... My father was an alcoholic, I have two brothers that are alcoholics so I will not pass judgement. Melissa Smith
NACHORENEE
on 11/30/05 5:03 pm - SACRAMENTO, CA
I HAVEN'T HAD THE SURGERY YET, BUT I LOVE TO DRINK MY BEER. I HAVE QUIT DRINKING 75% OF WHAT I USED TO DRINK. I DON'T EXPERIENCE WITHDRAWLS, BUT KNOW THAT AFTER THE SURGERY I WON'T BE ABLE TO DRINK. HOW CAN YOU DRINK SO MUCH IF YOUR STOMACH IS SO SMALL? HOW DOES THIS AFFECT YOUR LIVER AND OTHER ORGANS? SHOULD I HAVE THIS SURGERY DONE? REALLY, I HAVE FOUND THAT IF I DRINK BOTTLED WATER I AM OK. IT IS THE REPETITIVE THING... LET ME KNOW. THANKS.
PamLane
on 12/2/05 3:19 am - Houston, TX
I read your post and your drinking reminds me of mine. I was doing the same thing until about two months ago - once I started drinking I didn't want to or know when to stop. I wasn't going to stop drinking until I got drunk enough to fall asleep. Lot's of nights I would end up stumbling to bed and passing out. It got old and I decided to come clean with my family doctor - he prescribed something called Antebuse and it's working. If you try to drink on it you'll get deathly ill. I started taking it in October and haven't had a drink since. I didn't want to mess with the group meeting thing and this seems to be working. Now I just need to call the dr. and ask him if it's the medicine or me controlling the not drinking now!!! My prescription runs out the middle of December and I don't know whether or not to stay on it. I at some point would like to be able to get drunk once in awhile just not everytime I drink everyday. I think that once we have the surgery and "fix" that problem our others bubble up to the surface. And no....I'm not going to quit smoking. That's the only thing that I have left that I enjoy. Let me know how you're doing.
Sue B.
on 10/10/09 4:14 am - Highlandville, MO
Has anyone had these issues and be able to take adavanse and still drink?  I am 5 yrs post op and lost 120 pounds, but  found I could drink a few beers and have a great time which quickly advanced into full blow alcoholism - nonstop drinking for weeks, blackouts, severe withdrawels when I stop.  My Dr prescribed adavance and I thought I had finally found a solution but they do not help at all.  He refused to believe me and will not treat me now.  Any other suggestions for medical treatment?  We are unisured and unable to go through a rehab program...
lolo0820
on 3/3/09 2:45 pm - columbus, GA
I know exactly what you mean I don't have a real problem with food after my lap RNy surgery. I do have a problem with alcohol. I just had the surgery on Oct 6, 2008 so I am 5 months post op. I have not lost any weight in a month. I started out weighing 272lbs. Now I'm 200 even my height is 5ft. 6in. I'm scared that I already  messed up my surgery with the alcohol. I am gonna leave the alcohol alone for good because I still have 70lbs to lose. Do you think I can lose the rest of the weight if I start making better choices? I drinked two nights ago @ home passed out and had a weight gain of  four lbs. The mix drinks that I have been drinking is royal crown & coke. What cause such a weight gain of four pounds over night? Ocassionally I may down a beer here & there. I need help please. Oh and my stomach was swollen after indulging in the alcohol and I notice my buttocks and legs didn't feel firm like before I started this nonsense. Now I feel hard and heavy. Please help me with answers to my questions.

Thanks ;
~Loretta
Most Active
Recent Topics
For your education and support
Cathy W. · 2 replies · 785 views
Wellbutrin
merlin300 · 2 replies · 769 views
Best Healthcare Center
jungisstephens · 0 replies · 991 views
What triggers your anxiety
danmarc · 2 replies · 1700 views